Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Them Wigan C **nts.

Burndens Bogs

Rivals? Maybe 

Utter cunts? Without a doubt.

For the first Wigan fan I ever met telling me how much they hated Bolton, despite me congratulating him on promotion.

For spitting at my kids when we were ushered into the wrong stand by their stewards

For the wanker in the McManaman shirt pissing outside the ground when no fucker about

For three little little nob heads who take the town 5 miles away from the ground

For the prick crying outside the statue when we were knocking on heaven's gate

I just dislike them with a passion, regardless of rivalry

26 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

Rivals? Maybe 

For the first Wigan fan I ever met telling me how much they hated Bolton, despite me congratulating him on promotion.

For spitting at my kids when we were ushered into the wrong stand by their stewards

For the wanker in the McManaman shirt pissing outside the ground when no fucker about

For three little little nob heads who take the town 5 miles away from the ground

Here here

3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

When Wigan were promoted to the league in 1978, they finished runner up to Boston United.  Wigan were elected and Boston stayed down (they may not have applied for promotion for all I know).  I always assumed they stormed the league and were deservedly promoted, but not so.  

Boston did not apply  - If memory serves me right there were issues at time with their ground not meeting football league standards  anyway  that season it was Wigan from the NPL and Bath from the Southern League who stood against the 4  football league teams seeking re- election 

in the voting - York Rochdale and Hartlepool were easily re- elected , Wigan and Southport tied and Bath finished in last place 

There was then a second vote between wigan and Southport which Wigan won by  9  votes  

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Whatever happened to Boston by the way?!

One minute they were in the league then they vanished without trace. Sure they docked 30 points or summet daft. Luton got twatted the same.

Saw them Play Chorley in a play off game few years back, think they won it and they brought decent following, just checked they’re vanarama national league north same as Chorley.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Boston in a new ground these days too. Old one was a belter. The sort of thing foreigners would come up with if you asked them to draw a traditional English ground. Town centre location, massive floodlights visible from everywhere, paddock main stand, big terrace behind the goal etc.

Their downfall (and climb, tbf) was partly down to that fat cunt Steve Evans having his finger in several pies, so to speak. 

43 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Boston did not apply  - If memory serves me right there were issues at time with their ground not meeting football league standards  anyway  that season it was Wigan from the NPL and Bath from the Southern League who stood against the 4  football league teams seeking re- election 

in the voting - York Rochdale and Hartlepool were easily re- elected , Wigan and Southport tied and Bath finished in last place 

There was then a second vote between wigan and Southport which Wigan won by  9  votes  

Doesn't say much for Boston's ground nor the FL standards if Springfield Park met the criteria 😆

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

Been here a million times before but its completely generational.

Mainly because we havent got s traditional rival like Blackpool have with PNE or similar.

We seem to generate one every other decade.

Anyone under the age of 30 would never consider United a rival, derby or whatever you want to call it in a million years. Unless you live in Little Hulton or summet.

Right here, right now its Wigan. 20 years ago it was Tranmere or Wolves. 20 years previous it was United.

20 years from now it will be some fucker else.

Just the way it is with us. Bit crap really, I'd love a proper thing like villa brum or sheff derby but we are stuck with being hated by loads of small clubs and big clubs have their own things going on and couldnt give a fuck about us.

It could be worse, we could be Charlton, Fulham, Bournemouth, Reading, QPR where everyone either likes you or ignores you 😀

We're lucky that whichever division we're in we have a few local games, but this season is probably the worst in memory for the size of those clubs. 

Imagine being Everton where you have one rival you care about beating, but you never win and the away support for both games is about what we take to Port Vale or Rotherham.

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

Good info.  I've always had a soft spot for Southport, one of my first games was at Haig Avenue v Stockport, they won 2-0 and I remember standing behind the goal with fans from both sides, no segregation.  Loved it, but they were relegated 2 months later, I'd never heard of Wigan the place never mind the football team then and I lived 5 miles away in Atherton.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Boston in a new ground these days too. Old one was a belter. The sort of thing foreigners would come up with if you asked them to draw a traditional English ground. Town centre location, massive floodlights visible from everywhere, paddock main stand, big terrace behind the goal etc.

Their downfall (and climb, tbf) was partly down to that fat cunt Steve Evans having his finger in several pies, so to speak. 

I didn't realise they'd left York Street, as recently as 2020.

And now an amateur team plays there, Railway Athletic!

York Street Photo.JPG

22 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It could be worse, we could be Charlton, Fulham, Bournemouth, Reading, QPR where everyone either likes you or ignores you 😀

We're lucky that whichever division we're in we have a few local games, but this season is probably the worst in memory for the size of those clubs. 

Imagine being Everton where you have one rival you care about beating, but you never win and the away support for both games is about what we take to Port Vale or Rotherham.

You are definitely a glass full kind of guy 🤣💪💪

30 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Can't see anything to like about Bournemouth

Harry Redknapp, nearly going bust numerous times, bankrolled by a Russian oligarch 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Good info.  I've always had a soft spot for Southport, one of my first games was at Haig Avenue v Stockport, they won 2-0 and I remember standing behind the goal with fans from both sides, no segregation.  Loved it, but they were relegated 2 months later, I'd never heard of Wigan the place never mind the football team then and I lived 5 miles away in Atherton.

We played a pre season at southport about 86

My only visit

Most famous for being the 4th in the list at the end of 72-3

35 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Also don't like QPR when they charged us nigh up to £40 for pay on the day when we beat them 2-1 to sit in one of the shittiest away ends I've been in

9 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

Rivals? Maybe 

All this x 10.

They dont just hate us they are fucking obsessed by us and everything we do , but at the same time they refuse to accept our past success and really do believe that they are at least on a par if not a bigger club than us .All on the back of one fa cup win and the a few fairly recent  results.

I would fucking love it if they folded .

Fuck em 

11 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Doesn't say much for Boston's ground nor the FL standards if Springfield Park met the criteria 😆

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

@jayjayoghanigot me thinking -  nowhere really could have been worse than Springfield Park - I was actually wrong in suggesting Boston did not apply for Election to the League because of the state of their ground . - from the previous season 1977 the Football League selected just 2 non league  clubs from those that applied (instead of the usual 10-12 ) to go forward in an election against the clubs seeking re -election.  

The rationale being to give the non league clubs a more realistic chance of getting elected 

Whelan's cheque book weaved its magic to some bent Chairmen and got Southport (not even bottom of the league that year) voted out & them in. Fck, it's close enough to have taken them over.

Stupidity itself to get yet another North West club in. They've developed regrettably well over the years but not grown any noteworthy fanbase. But when the wheels come off I'll be dancing in the streets. I would love to see the back of them simply for their utterly ingratious fans. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Whelan's cheque book weaved its magic to some bent Chairmen and got Southport (not even bottom of the league that year) voted out & them in. Fck, it's close enough to have taken them over.

Stupidity itself to get yet another North West club in. They've developed regrettably well over the years but not grown any noteworthy fanbase. But when the wheels come off I'll be dancing in the streets. I would love to see the back of them simply for their utterly ingratious fans. 

Pre Whelan days when they got elected but I share your sentiments.

Like Wimbledon, who were elected the season before them, they've done well, punched well above their weight and won the FA Cup.

Hopefully also like Wimbledon, they'll be bankrupt and franchised off to some hideous new town in a few years. 

21 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Pre Whelan days when they got elected but I share your sentiments.

Like Wimbledon, who were elected the season before them, they've done well, punched well above their weight and won the FA Cup.

Hopefully also like Wimbledon, they'll be bankrupt and franchised off to some hideous new town in a few years. 

Warrington Tics has a ring to it.

14 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Can't see anything to like about Bournemouth

Harry Redknapp, nearly going bust numerous times, bankrolled by a Russian oligarch 

I worked in Bournemouth for 2 years and never met a Bournemouth fan or saw anyone wearing a team shirt.