Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Them Wigan C **nts.

Burndens Bogs

Can someone summarise where they on the Bolton trajectory. 

Are they at lennon getting sold a dud 

Holdsworth buying in despite having no money 

Anderson rinsing everything with his brinkmanship 

Sky sports news doing count down to our demise

Wake me up when it's the last one as ill get the bus to the DW and take the piss 

1 minute ago, stevieb said:

Can someone summarise where they on the Bolton trajectory. 

Are they at lennon getting sold a dud 

Holdsworth buying in despite having no money 

Anderson rinsing everything with his brinkmanship 

Sky sports news doing count down to our demise

Wake me up when it's the last one as ill get the bus to the DW and take the piss 

In-between 3 and 4

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I can’t see Toure taking over he will surely demand big money, will want to bring his own back room team in which will cost big bucks… don’t think the owners will bankroll it.

But we live in hope that they try.

55 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I can’t see Toure taking over he will surely demand big money, will want to bring his own back room team in which will cost big bucks… don’t think the owners will bankroll it.

I don't disagree and I wish them nothing but harm but his own backroom team will be relatively low key as the guy himself has never managed & is currently a coach.

3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Yaya turned them down so they went with cheaper option of a bloke with the same surname

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He's currently a coach at Leicester with no managerial experience 

Not sure he's in a position to make big demands 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There's a Wigan section in the Brewery Tap?  They'll be the one's ordering a paaant, and a pork paa.  I do chat to a lapsed Oldham fan in there, top bloke.

How many wiganers were there? Four or faave.

very difficult to comprehend how a whole town, so close to ours, speaks a foreign language, unlike our accent-free queen’s… er, king’s English.

At 16 and starting my apprenticeship at Horwich Loco Works I encountered my first Leyther. First word I heard him say was “Ya.”

I thought he was fucking German!

57 minutes ago, MickyD said:

How many wiganers were there? Four or faave.

very difficult to comprehend how a whole town, so close to ours, speaks a foreign language, unlike our accent-free queen’s… er, king’s English.

At 16 and starting my apprenticeship at Horwich Loco Works I encountered my first Leyther. First word I heard him say was “Ya.”

I thought he was fucking German!

So true.  Atherton, Leigh, Bolton, Wigan may as well be in different regions.  Even watching Athy Colls occasionally, the accents and words used are so different.  Tea is "Tay", you have is "thas", home is "wom" etc.  Night is neet (or from Hindley onwards naaatt).  Nil or zero is baaat.  "Thas lost 2 baaat and thas goin' wom Sat'day neet".

'Thas lost 2 bowt' would be more Bolton. Than baat as you edge towards Wigan. 

It's hardly a different language. 

Unless you're one of the well educated doctors who only speak the queen's English who has been relocated to the Borough after escaping from the outer reaches of civilisation via a dinghy across the Channel 

In my kid hood the accents, simply around Horwich, were very soevific & easily identified.

Going into Westhoughton, Adlington, Aspull ... maybe 3 miles away, even Blackrod was to go into a totally different set of dialogues. To go to Wigan, Chorley or Bolton meant no lack of understanding but genuinely new ways of speaking.

Going to school in Astley Bridge  where pupils came from Bury, Ramsbottom, Radcliffe, Farnworth and alll those areas of Bolton was a whole new set of variations.

I still couldn't say where Darcy Lever, Rumworth, Tonge Fold, Harper Green etc. are.

Due to cars, commuting, more moving about, TV, radio etc. these fine distinctions are far fewer now.