Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Them Wigan C **nts.

Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

That day was fucking frightening for a young Lever Ender

It was the shock of seeing lads in war paint and white bib and braces.

They soon got put in their place though, booted out and removed to the embankment.

4 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Ask your Dad?

I will be at Charlton; remember you on the tube back form Brentford about 8 years ago when I was working for London South Bank University 

Yeah sorry I’m seeing him at Charlton. Meant I’ll ask and if I’m recalling the story/team right. 

Yeah I remember that. Doesn’t feel like 8 years ago. That express tavern pub may have been the best I’ve ever been too

Edited by tomski

1 hour ago, tomski said:

My dad says there was an away would of been 70s where we played someone away and their fans were dressed as Indians with the war paint. Was it York? Anyone on here remember it.

Aye, Luton fans turned up on the Lever End wearing war paint & for Bolton's next game,  i think, away at York , a lot of Bolton fans wore war paint.  It didn't catch on.

& when Luton fans appeared at the top of the steps in the corner of the Lever End in war paint & i think a couple of darts were thrown there was quite an initial  surprise  but Bolton quickly bailed into them & they were cleared out well before half time.

I don't know where they went, it would be tricky blending in anywhere wearing war paint & nobody could find them later.....maybe they went straight back to the station.

& the other thing i remember from Luton was that it was one where we had to stand on the open end in our socks because the police made us take our boots off !!

2 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Aye, Luton fans turned up on the Lever End wearing war paint & for Bolton's next game,  i think, away at York , a lot of Bolton fans wore war paint.  It didn't catch on.

& when Luton fans appeared at the top of the steps in the corner of the Lever End in war paint & i think a couple of darts were thrown there was quite an initial  surprise  but Bolton quickly bailed into them & they were cleared out well before half time.

I don't know where they went, it would be tricky blending in anywhere wearing war paint & nobody could find them later.....maybe they went straight back to the station.

& the other thing i remember from Luton was that it was one where we had to stand on the open end in our socks because the police made us take our boots off !!

Yeah I was in the Lever end that day and it was like the Bermuda Triangle as they just disappeared after getting chased out of the Lever end . Also remember Luton away having to leave are shoes outside the stand didn’t make any difference after the games as Luton disappeared again. I remember a small group of Bolton jump on a bus with Luton lot on it they couldn’t escape ! 

• Members
2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

They were on Manny Road after the game (some at least). All kicked off near Orlando Bridge. The lad who seemed to be leading them didn't have all the Clockwork Orange garb on - he was a sharp fucker in a crombie with Staprest, Royals etc.

He dived through the back doors of a black cab and out the other side to get away from the baying mob after he'd thrown a few punches and legged it around those cobbled back streets behind the shops and houses opposite Orlando Bridge. The bastard hit me with a coal shovel and broke a tooth when I pushed a back gate open trying to find him. Them were the days :D (was looking for a smiley with a tooth missing).

8 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Cheers mate. All interesting. Can see how war paint became a novelty very quickly.

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

They were on Manny Road after the game (some at least). All kicked off near Orlando Bridge. The lad who seemed to be leading them didn't have all the Clockwork Orange garb on - he was a sharp fucker in a crombie with Staprest, Royals etc.

He dived through the back doors of a black cab and out the other side to get away from the baying mob after he'd thrown a few punches and legged it around those cobbled back streets behind the shops and houses opposite Orlando Bridge. The bastard hit me with a coal shovel and broke a tooth when I pushed a back gate open trying to find him. Them were the days :D (was looking for a smiley with a tooth missing).

Struth. You’d do well to find a coal shovel these days let alone be hit by one. Bet that hurt!!!

Worked in London shortly after Luton got their biggest ever comeuppance.

Got chatting to Millwall fan, quiet unassuming lad, asked if he was at that match.

Oh yeah was the answer, a lot of London firms were not just Wall.

His words not mine (read in a docklands accent)

"Mate , they've a bunch of f**kin P****ys, they talk like farmers and they think they're F**kin Cockneys, they needed a lesson & they got one.

11 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Well remember that game -as someone else said for a youngster it was a frightening experience being in the Lever end at the start of that match 

When they scored there were loads of their fans in the Manchester Road Stand corner block where it merged into the Wing Stand and it kicked off there - think that was our first home defeat in best part of a year 

This picture popped up on twitter a while ago and my first thoughts were of that Luton game  

Edited by Benny The Ball

• Members
6 hours ago, tomski said:

Struth. You’d do well to find a coal shovel these days let alone be hit by one. Bet that hurt!!!

Smarted a little bit, plenty of claret but minor compared to other stuff going on at the time - especially on death corner on a Friday night. I think I did remark 'Dear me!' at the time ;) I was more pissed off about the blood stains on me Ben - possibly more of his than mine.

Mad times but I wouldn't have missed them for anything. Doubt that many who experienced them would. Character building.

5 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

Well remember that game -as someone else said for a youngster it was a frightening experience being in the Lever end at the start of that match 

When they scored there were loads of their fans in the Manchester Road Stand corner block where it merged into the Wing Stand and it kicked off there - think that was our first home defeat in best part of a year 

This picture popped up on twitter a while ago and my first thoughts were of that Luton game  

And is that Alice Cooper I can see just above the coppers arm lock?

1 minute ago, burnden said:

Wigan Athletic has received a three-point deduction to be suspended until 31 December 2023 after admitting to multiple breaches of EFL Regulations.

Ooooh.

What regulations ?

How multiple ?

Why suspended ... & why only till January ?

It can't exactly help their current window, can it ?

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Smarted a little bit, plenty of claret but minor compared to other stuff going on at the time - especially on death corner on a Friday night. I think I did remark 'Dear me!' at the time ;) I was more pissed off about the blood stains on me Ben - possibly more of his than mine.

Mad times but I wouldn't have missed them for anything. Doubt that many who experienced them would. Character building.

Haha fair play