Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Yesterday I mostly…

MickyD

• Site Supporter

mixed it with former footballer David Cross (ex Rochdale, Norwich, Coventry, WBA, WHU, Bolton.) who was at Bradshaw to watch his son play cricket. A broken skull meant he didn’t play much for us but he signed on the same day as Big Sam.

A thoroughly interesting chap. Big mates with BSA and Keith Hill. 

His daughter plays cricket for Lancashire and England.

Edited by MickyD

He most definitely did play for us.  Saw him score for us at Doncaster and Blackpool amongst others.  I think he fractured his skull after us, possibly when playing for Bury.

Signed for us with BSA, Dave Sutton, Asa Hartford and Derek Scott. Charlie Wright was shopping in the veteran, freebie market that summer.

Famously said he hated football. The monotony, the travel, the lack of intellectual curiosity of the players.said a good player had to be OCD and overly focused ... which he wasn't & didn't want to be.

An interesting view given the career he had.

48 minutes ago, MickyD said:

mixed it with former footballer David Cross (ex Rochdale, Norwich, Coventry, WBA, WHU, Bolton.) who was at Bradshaw to watch his son play cricket. A broken skull meant he didn’t play for us but he signed on the same day as Big Sam.

A thoroughly interesting chap. Big mates with BSA and Keith Hill. 

His daughter plays cricket for Lancashire. 

She is also England international. 

5 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

He most definitely did play for us.  Saw him score for us at Doncaster and Blackpool amongst others.  I think he fractured his skull after us, possibly when playing for Bury.

Signed for us with BSA, Dave Sutton, Asa Hartford and Derek Scott. Charlie Wright was shopping in the veteran, freebie market that summer.

That was an exciting summer of transfers, I was convinced we'd walk the league, Charlie Wright convinced me Dave Sutton was going to captain us to promotion, then I saw him play.  That was a real "veteran" team, a few months later post-Wright, our right back was Phil Neal.  I think Cross's best day for us was scoring twice against Wolves when we won 4-1 and we still had optimism for a decent season.

He'd been a really good player. We got him right at the end of his career but you could still see the class.

As has been said previously Charlie Wright signed a lot of experience in Summer 1985 and it conned a few of us in to thinking we'd be promotion challengers. It felt great to get Big Sam back but Cross and Asa Hartford had been on our TVs week in week out in the 70s and early 80s.

Cross did well for us. He scored a good few goals. I remember his header at Blackpool on Boxing Day, I think he got a couple in Neal's first match in charge at home to Doncaster as well. Not sure why Neal took against him and Big Sam. Many concluded that he saw them as a threat.