Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Car People

Or rather folk who know about cars, because I don't, thats for sure, and annoyingly I now need to do some car stuff.

Last night my car dramatically breathed its last (or rather the electrics set on fire and thankfully went out itself instead of turning Bromley Civic Car Park into a ball of flaming rubble) anyway given the car cost about 4k 5 years ago its not worth fixing (last mot cost close to grand so was going to give it up but hate dealing with car stuff) so it's off to the scrappers with it.

Now, I just want a cheap secondhand runaround (although it does need to do a few miles up north and into kent) for a couple of years (has to seat 5 min) not bothered about aesthetics. So, I need things to watch out for (stupidly high mileage, makes to avoid etc) also need to avoid the new London green car thing so no diesel or anything before 2005.

Any advice other than rubbing the old car with a balloon.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Diesel has to be 2015 onwards to meet the ULEZ standard or else your paying £12.50 a day just to drive it.

Thought ULEZ and LEZ was for within a certain area of inner London. If my town was criss-crossed with rail, underground and bus routes the way London is, I wouldn’t ever need a car inside those zones.

My postcode falls under LEZ (which covers all of gtr London) but not under ULEZ (which has been extended to everything within the South Circular now) so if I drive five miles southwards it'd cost me that £12.50 day rate to get to say my local Homebase.

You do need a car within most of those zones in South London, no underground after Brixton, it's not all piccadilly circus and routemasters. You do know most of London is pretty suburban and fairly big 😁

Edited by Not in Crawley

Worst possible time to be buying a 2nd hand car. Prices are through the roof caused by the shortage of new vehicles globally caused by brexit I mean parts shortages. 

If feasible lease one through your company and take it as a company car but get an electric one or hybrid on a 2/3year deal for tax reasons 

or else lease one personally. 

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Worst possible time to be buying a 2nd hand car. Prices are through the roof caused by the shortage of new vehicles globally caused by brexit I mean parts shortages. 

If feasible lease one through your company and take it as a company car but get an electric one or hybrid on a 2/3year deal for tax reasons 

or else lease one personally. 

Never leased, my sister and brother in law do. Wouldn't know how to start.or rather know I'm not getting ripped off.

16 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Never leased, my sister and brother in law do. Wouldn't know how to start.or rather know I'm not getting ripped off.

Give me a shout if you want to run owt past me. I’m far from an expert on cars but contract hire leasing etc I’m no too shabby H 

How often do you do the long journeys? If its not that often then it may be worth just hiring a nice big motor specifically when needed. Probably cheaper in the long run if you only do half a dozen big trips a year and you can get a cheaper smaller less reliable runaround for local stuff.

• Moderators

My VW is getting on for 10 years old now, 90k miles, the only thing I've spent money on was £150 for a new cambelt. Looking at new(er) cars but at £20 tax a year, there doesn't seem much incentive.

21 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Looking at a 2006 Focus C-Max, automatic, 47k miles, Serviced in Feb, MOT until April 2023 - 3k

Has it had a new engine? Less than 3k miles a year? 

Check past MOT records online. 

56 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

That souds like an almighty faff on, just want a few quid and it off my drive.

It's not a faff at all.  I did it with my Italian piece of shit, just take a few photos, explained the problem in the advert.  Stated I take no responsibility for any other unknown problems and that the buyer must arrange their own collection.  Stick it on for 7 days and you're potentially looking at getting well over £500 for it rather than the £150 a scrapper will give you.