Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Car People

To conclude that little drama I went for the newer CMax, that is manual. The automatic has great, can see why folk love them (would have been especially useful in London all the stop and bloody starting) but it was 6 years newer and you could tell, plus got 700 off it as the MOT was as long and there is a dent that needs fixing.

Nice not having a 7 seater bus. Thanks for the advice folks.

In other news, saw Stormzy as I went to pick the car up in Tooting. He was in a rather nice sports RR. He's a very considerate driver by the way.

• Moderators
On 12/05/2022 at 10:56, Not in Crawley said:

Thoughts on automatics?

Mrs has one 

Miles easier 

Not that gears are hard 

But I'd happily drive an automatic all day long

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

To conclude that little drama I went for the newer CMax, that is manual. The automatic has great, can see why folk love them (would have been especially useful in London all the stop and bloody starting) but it was 6 years newer and you could tell, plus got 700 off it as the MOT was as long and there is a dent that needs fixing.

Nice not having a 7 seater bus. Thanks for the advice folks.

In other news, saw Stormzy as I went to pick the car up in Tooting. He was in a rather nice sports RR. He's a very considerate driver by the way.

He should write a song about the Highway Code.

Would make a change from his constant rattling on about knife crime.

• Site Supporter

“I always indicate at a turning

when you drivin’ you never stop learnin’

I see kids wiv a knife as I drive by

breaks my heart cos another bruvva gonna die

But I can’t stop to help on a red route

aint gonna get a ticket off a Met brute“

3 hours ago, Spider said:

“I always indicate at a turning

when you drivin’ you never stop learnin’

I see kids wiv a knife as I drive by

breaks my heart cos another bruvva gonna die

But I can’t stop to help on a red route

aint gonna get a ticket off a Met brute“

Haha.

He did indicate and did a warm wave. Not that common round here.

8 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Automatics are ace.

My last car was automatic, but with the nipper coming up to 17 we needed a manual. Just feels like a massive backward step. Anyway as soon as she passes her test, I'm buying an automatic.

Aye definitely worth learning to drive in a manual car. You may do a job in future driving company vehicles where there isn't a choice. 

My gf learned to drive automatics, we currently have a manual and hill starts are always entertaining 😐 

15 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Aye definitely worth learning to drive in a manual car. You may do a job in future driving company vehicles where there isn't a choice. 

My gf learned to drive automatics, we currently have a manual and hill starts are always entertaining 😐 

Is it not law to learn in a manual? I always thought it was.

6 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Humbly accepting a little lack of knowledge while being happy to be set straight. 

What the fuck are you doing on this website? 😆

Haha a result/consequence of being wrong more than right. Chicks love it

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 16 plate Suzuki Swift that I run around in but have run out of space so I need to rationalise.

Just got £5,620 for it on Motorway co uk... bloody madness, I think I paid just over 5 grand for it 3 years ago!

size of car has nowt to do with it. size of engine maybe. Imo auto is better for every aspect of normal motoring except perhaps fuel economy and modern autos such as vw/audi dsg  give equal or better mpg to equiv manual car and they can be driven as a manual if you like. Horses for courses but i cant see a case for a manual box on todays congested riads.

9 hours ago, Traf said:

Bought a new car today for the wife.

Bi-fuel, so it can run on LPG, which is 80p a litre

Does it have a big calor gas bottle in the boot? All of the conversions I've seen lose most of the boot space, I have a similar problem with my hybrid... the boot is too small as it's full of milk float batteries.

Also why is LPG cheaper to buy than petrol?

4 hours ago, batton carrier said:

Dacia sandero ?

Stepway version, but yeah.
She got a diesel one in 2014, it has done 169,000 miles with no problems at all, so she was happy to strck with the brand.

3 hours ago, Dimron said:

Does it have a big calor gas bottle in the boot? All of the conversions I've seen lose most of the boot space, I have a similar problem with my hybrid... the boot is too small as it's full of milk float batteries.

Also why is LPG cheaper to buy than petrol?

The LPG tank is 35 litres and sits where the spare wheel should, so no loss of boot space.
It's not a conversion, you see, it comes out of Renault's Dacia's factory like that.

LPG is a by-product from refining crude that used to be thrown away, so technically has no residual value.

The duty is 30p a litre and the other 50p is what it's worth including transportation & markup etc.

LPG never caught on in the UK and I think only Dacia offer it as a standard optin and that's because LPG is quite widely used in Europe where their core business lies.