Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Car People

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Ani said:

Went to a mates 50th do on Friday. My Pension adviser was there in his all electric Porsche. 

Apparently well over £100k. 

The other halfs cousin has one 

Got nowhere to charge it though

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Traf said:

Anyway, car cost £14k brand new, we'll save £2k to £2.5k a year on fuel, so it's a bit of a no brainer to someone who couldn't give a shit about car badges.

Think, had the idea been launched now it would have caught on, most LPG cars were bigger estates or 4x4's. The space taken up by the tank was the space that people wanted with the big car. It is a shame as the idea in yours is great, and people are now conditioned to not needing a spare wheel. 

4 hours ago, Traf said:

Stepway version, but yeah.
She got a diesel one in 2014, it has done 169,000 miles with no problems at all, so she was happy to strck with the brand.

The LPG tank is 35 litres and sits where the spare wheel should, so no loss of boot space.
It's not a conversion, you see, it comes out of Renault's Dacia's factory like that.

went looking at em for my daughter . absoute no brainer at the price. new clio mechanicals as well so not old tech

5 hours ago, Traf said:

LPG is a by-product from refining crude that used to be thrown away, so technically has no residual value.

The duty is 30p a litre and the other 50p is what it's worth including transportation & markup etc.

LPG never caught on in the UK and I think only Dacia offer it as a standard optin and that's because LPG is quite widely used in Europe where their core business lies.

This is something I never got my head around, I can buy LPG at a pump for £0.80-0.90/litre but at the same filling station if I exchange a 13kg LPG bottle I have to pay £36-40 for 22 litres.

If the treasury weren't so thick they'd realise it's still petroleum product being sold at the pump and would put full duty onto it.

5 hours ago, Ani said:

Went to a mates 50th do on Friday. My Pension adviser was there in his all electric Porsche. 

Apparently well over £100k. 

I had a pension adviser like that, I'm 66 next month and I will still be working

• Site Supporter

Probably badly recalling science lessons, crude oil is poured into a petrol refinery. The  crude doesn’t need to be heated too highly to create the light fuel-gasses, slightly higher to produce diesel, higher still for lubricants and highest for petrol and aircraft fuels.

The gasses being cheaper reflects this but not so with diesel. Strange that!

• Site Supporter

Petrol is more volatile than diesel, and is removed at a lower temperature. Hence lower energy.

If you're distilling for one product though, then you may as well carry on for all distillates of value- fuel oil, lubricating oil etc.

Tyldesley_white will enlighten us with greater detail. 

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

Probably badly recalling science lessons, crude oil is poured into a petrol refinery. The  crude doesn’t need to be heated too highly to create the light fuel-gasses, slightly higher to produce diesel, higher still for lubricants and highest for petrol and aircraft fuels.

The gasses being cheaper reflects this but not so with diesel. Strange that!

they are called hydro crackers, They are filled with trays at various levels to "catch" what every  you want at that temperature, and then taken out off that column, and sent on its way to another process  to use in whatever you are trying to produce, and sometime to another cracker to break it down further.

21 hours ago, Dimron said:

This is something I never got my head around, I can buy LPG at a pump for £0.80-0.90/litre but at the same filling station if I exchange a 13kg LPG bottle I have to pay £36-40 for 22 litres.

If the treasury weren't so thick they'd realise it's still petroleum product being sold at the pump and would put full duty onto it.

is that how much  LPG is now 

When i had my Range Rover i had a 100lt one in the Boot 

it was 30p a lt then 2003 

so conpared to petrol its not gone up that much

On 11/06/2022 at 15:44, Dimron said:

I have a 16 plate Suzuki Swift that I run around in but have run out of space so I need to rationalise.

Just got £5,620 for it on Motorway co uk... bloody madness, I think I paid just over 5 grand for it 3 years ago!

Dealer from Blyth has brought it. Driver came down today, gave it a quick once over and the money was transferred while we were having a brew and talking about a Whitesnake concert he had just been to... if you just want rid without putting up with joe public tyre kickers, from my experience this is where you should go.

• Site Supporter

Most walks of life can drive a lovely £100k car if they are doing well.

An accountant would lose clients hand over fist if we turned up in one.

Granted, even if I could afford it, I still wouldn't drive one. I'll make do with a couple of decent holidays a year instead

Dad told me a tale about a window cleaner he knew who had saved all his life for his dream car, a Jag. Went collecting in it only to lose half his round as most his customers thought they must be paying him too much. 

13 hours ago, Nowack said:

Dad told me a tale about a window cleaner he knew who had saved all his life for his dream car, a Jag. Went collecting in it only to lose half his round as most his customers thought they must be paying him too much. 

Back when I had my building business the accountant told me to go and buy a posh car, I refused for this very reason and carried on driving around in a pick up with a black terrier on the passenger seat. instead I brought a sports car for the wife and hid it away at home... I put a personal number plate on it and last month (26 years later) it cropped up for sale on Facebook... I have just brought it back for £1,500 🙂

• Site Supporter
On 16/06/2022 at 08:05, Nowack said:

Similar happened with a mate of mine but opposite way round. I went with him to help measure a large conservatory for roof and window blinds. We turned up in his sign written van and the guy measuring before us in a brand new Mercedes 4x4.

My mate got the job for two reasons; two of us turned up to do the measure, me to write, him to measure and shout numbers at me. The second reason was the vehicle we turned up in. The client actually told us, once we were fitting the blinds that there was no way she was paying for someone’s fancy cars.

Her attitude was earn a wage, not a fortune.

• Members
6 hours ago, MickyD said:

Similar happened with a mate of mine but opposite way round. I went with him to help measure a large conservatory for roof and window blinds. We turned up in his sign written van and the guy measuring before us in a brand new Mercedes 4x4.

My mate got the job for two reasons; two of us turned up to do the measure, me to write, him to measure and shout numbers at me. The second reason was the vehicle we turned up in. The client actually told us, once we were fitting the blinds that there was no way she was paying for someone’s fancy cars.

Her attitude was earn a wage, not a fortune.

Life lesson right there. Don't flaunt it.

Many have earned big through Perth's iron ore boom. Scottish mate of mine started a company with a partner also from Glasgow (who did flaunt it). Both mad bluenoses of course. My mate, who stays under the radar, sold 83.333% of his company for $682M a few years ago. A couple of years before that the former partner topped himself after getting in with some very bad people, developing a debilitating drug habit, losing his wife and family etc. etc.

Before reaching that point, talk of the town were matching his and her Lamborghini's, massive (white line) parties in private boxes at AFL games, private jets and all manner of imaginable crazy excess.

The one who has done (outstandingly) well drives a Hyundai Genesis, likes a pint and a bet on the horses and is a golf fanatic.

Edited by bolty58