Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New Stadium name

masi 51

8 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I get the stadium naming is worth a few quid, but as a nod to the past I've never understood why we have dull N,E,S & W stands when they could have copied Burnden in naming the sides of the ground.

I just wonder, jimmupissboi, what you are happy with 🤔

9 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I get the stadium naming is worth a few quid, but as a nod to the past I've never understood why we have dull N,E,S & W stands when they could have copied Burnden in naming the sides of the ground.

Because like the stadium once they've got a name the desirability for someone spending cash on sponsoring them drops.

Even though I think now is the 1st time all 4 have got a sponsor.

3 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Tbf we’ve got the Nat Lofthouse Stand and have done since day one, yet nobody actually uses the name. 

22 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

If this is for NEXT year ... it being 100 years since the first Wembley final ... many options there.

The David Jack Arena

The White Horse Stadium

I like this

19 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Tbf we’ve got the Nat Lofthouse Stand and have done since day one, yet nobody actually uses the name. 

It's difficult to rename the east stand lower social club. 

13 hours ago, desperado said:

I agree.

The original name and it being the Reebok for 17 years sticks with a lot of folk.

I tried with Macron, but it never felt right. 

And UNIBOL, well that’s felt weirder than Macron.

It’s now a stadium name that’s going to cease to exist soon. So I’m certainly not going to get into the habit of using it.

I suppose it’s an opposing view to @tomski’s, but I feel quite sad it doesn’t have a proper identity.

Does nobody else find themselves dodging the name? “I’m off to the Middlebrook watching The Whites?” On the odd occasion I’ve caught a taxi recently, I’ve used Middlebrook, Whites Hotel, The stadium.

But I get it. We go where the money takes us and I’m fine with that.

But there’s only 2 scenarios that would make me truly happy with its name. And that’s the Reebok again or fusing the new sponsor with something historical - ideally Nat Lofthouse.

Agree with nearly every word of that, well said Desperado, couldn't have put it better myself.

However, growing up, going to Burnden made you stick your chest out whether you were speaking to fellow whites or fans of other clubs.  Then going to the Reebok, you proudly told others where you were going (a bit less than Burnden).  What's the world coming to when you can't announce your stadium name without a bit of embarrassment?  Why do we need a name but PNE play at Deepdale, Blackpool have Bloomfield Road, Burnley have Turf Moor and Blackburn have Ewood Park?  It all feels a bit cheap on our part, personally if we had the choice of our own name or keeping Dapo or Santos, I'd go for the name every time, but I don't expect others to agree.  

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agree with nearly every word of that, well said Desperado, couldn't have put it better myself.

However, growing up, going to Burnden made you stick your chest out whether you were speaking to fellow whites or fans of other clubs.  Then going to the Reebok, you proudly told others where you were going (a bit less than Burnden).  What's the world coming to when you can't announce your stadium name without a bit of embarrassment?  Why do we need a name but PNE play at Deepdale, Blackpool have Bloomfield Road, Burnley have Turf Moor and Blackburn have Ewood Park?  It all feels a bit cheap on our part, personally if we had the choice of our own name or keeping Dapo or Santos, I'd go for the name every time, but I don't expect others to agree.  

Burnley DO NOT have Turf Moor. They are tutters.

Going down tut turf

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Burnley DO NOT have Turf Moor. They are tutters.

Going down tut turf

I'm envious their fans are going to the same place they've been to since they were kids, never a stadium move or name change.  We've moved once (and I do love our stadium) and changed names a few times.  Would it be so terrible to have a name and identity that we could keep as a legacy?  Not everyone has a sponsored stadium....Fratton Park, Hillsborough, Kenilworth Road, Bramhall Lane, Loftus Road, Oakwell, Priestfield, St Andrews etc etc, are they more skint than us?  Or do they value their stadium name more? 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm envious their fans are going to the same place they've been to since they were kids, never a stadium move or name change.  We've moved once (and I do love our stadium) and changed names a few times.  Would it be so terrible to have a name and identity that we could keep as a legacy?  Not everyone has a sponsored stadium....Fratton Park, Hillsborough, Kenilworth Road, Bramhall Lane, Loftus Road, Oakwell, Priestfield, St Andrews etc etc, are they more skint than us?  Or do they value their stadium name more? 

Totally get it but we missed our only chance in 97.

It should have been The Reebok Lofthouse stadium or whatever other name we wanted to call it.

We will now never have a permanent name until we move again - unless the board decide to get a permanent name but sponsored.  unlikely.

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Totally get it but we missed our only chance in 97.

It should have been The Reebok Lofthouse stadium or whatever other name we wanted to call it.

We will now never have a permanent name until we move again - unless the board decide to get a permanent name but sponsored.  unlikely.

Agree with that, its gone now, we have lost the opportunity.   And for what its worth, it could never be called Lofthouse or whatever, no other stadium name that I'm aware of is associated with one bloke.  Its just where it is.  Daisy Hill play at New Sirs, Athy LR was always Alder House until the sponsor names, I cant think of a stadium named after a person.  Our stadium doesn't own a particular place name, and that will never change now, but I'd be in favour of coming up with an acceptable "permanent" name at the expense of a £million or 2 every year (assuming that doesn't jeopardise our existence of course).

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

... I'd be in favour of coming up with an acceptable "permanent" name at the expense of a £million or 2 every year.

Agreed, and zero shirt sponsor & get back to some dignified purity.

Except it was quite modest spending on Morley, Charles, Dempsey & soon hopefully Fossey which took us up a step in January.

Those small numbers, at this level, speak loudly.