Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pre Season

little whitt

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I agree.. not a reflection of his ability just his body won’t allow it.  I’m also worried about our 3 centre half’s, aerially we are weak, think iredale might start back there next week. 

Like yourself, I was brought up with 1 hard man no nonsense centre half next to 1 with a bit of pace who could play a bit. That’s before anyone thought of 3 at the back.

For me, football hasn’t changed that much. If you’re going 3 at the back, then someone quick who can play a bit like Santos is fine.

We need a no nonesense player to slot alongside. Is Toal that player? Not sure. The 3rd needs to be a hybrid of the 2. I’m happy for Johnston to do that role.

Cant believe I’m saying this because I love the bloke, but Jones either has to go RWB or on the bench if we are to win against the more physical teams. Plenty of games for him though against footballing teams

4 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Like yourself, I was brought up with 1 hard man no nonsense centre half next to 1 with a bit of pace who could play a bit. That’s before anyone thought of 3 at the back.

For me, football hasn’t changed that much. If you’re going 3 at the back, then someone quick who can play a bit like Santos is fine.

We need a no nonesense player to slot alongside. Is Toal that player? Not sure. The 3rd needs to be a hybrid of the 2. I’m happy for Johnston to do that role.

Cant believe I’m saying this because I love the bloke, but Jones either has to go RWB or on the bench if we are to win against the more physical teams. Plenty of games for him though against footballing teams

We could play Jones as right back in a back 4 and play Bradley as an out and out right sided winger, worked well with Fossey last season. At least we have lots of different options and formations available to us. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We could play Jones as right back in a back 4 and play Bradley as an out and out right sided winger, worked well with Fossey last season. At least we have lots of different options and formations available to us. 

That last sentence sums it up. Been ages since we’ve had that.

For me, JDB is a lower league Sheringham and Morley has a range of passing most other midfielders in this league can only dream of.

Thats 2 down, 8 outfield players to go. You build around them rather than say they are that good you can shoe horn them in.

im genuinely excited for this season. If we don’t go up, we’re at least going to pagger a few home and away

Just now, Biggish Dave said:

That last sentence sums it up. Been ages since we’ve had that.

For me, JDB is a lower league Sheringham and Morley has a range of passing most other midfielders in this league can only dream of.

Thats 2 down, 8 outfield players to go. You build around them rather than say they are that good you can shoe horn them in.

im genuinely excited for this season. If we don’t go up, we’re at least going to pagger a few home and away

Agree on Morley and Bod, also Chuck in Trafford and Santos.. Evatt looks like he goes by the old adage, get your spine right and the results will follow. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Agree on Morley and Bod, also Chuck in Trafford and Santos.. Evatt looks like he goes by the old adage, get your spine right and the results will follow. 

I’d much rather have this team than the squad Parky went up with. I suppose that shows how good the division has become

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Ref seemed better than average going off last season’s crap-crop.

I think he possibly missed a penalty to Bolton in first half but it was actually the assistant’s call.

Aye, league game I’d have been screaming for it.

Did well with Duane Holmes too, it’s a friendly, pipe it down or your off. No league cameras, ref with common sense and they are ok.

Thats half the problem, they are under so much scrtinity, common sense goes out the window.

2 hours ago, Zico said:

I think he'll start against those teams who are considered the top of the league types where his nouse and experience will come in handy 

He'll be rested against the weaker opposition 

I think

Pretty much my thoughts. He’s a clever player. Understands the game and his role in it. Evatt trusts him to keep things ticking over 

can get away with someone else in there against the lower sides 

10 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Good solid performance today and what a goal from Sadlier, pure class but does anyone still think there’s a chance of Marlon returning? I thought Bradley looked good today but Marlon just seems that bit more direct.

Regarding Bradley looks like he needs ball playing in front of him into space, very quick but doesn’t look like a runner with the ball like Fossey is, we’re going have to get use to feeding him in to suit his strengths. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Regarding Bradley looks like he needs ball playing in front of him into space, very quick but doesn’t look like a runner with the ball like Fossey is, we’re going have to get use to feeding him in to suit his strengths. 

The Matthews/Finney comparison.

13 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

Got daughters. Pre ordered lads on Tuesday with his name on back for his birthday. Still not come yet. Said there's a problem with the lettering for away strip (think they where telling porkies) 

Id think they are inundated with putting on the letters & numbers, there was a big pile of shirts that looked like orders waiting for printing, might be better nipping in and asking them to do it while you wait. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Id think they are inundated with putting on the letters & numbers, there was a big pile of shirts that looked like orders waiting for printing, might be better nipping in and asking them to do it while you wait. 

I asked yesterday. They wherent got letting me have them. Should have cried. Usually makes men uncomfortable. 

1st time seeing us since last season. I thought Huddersfield brought an high championship intensity in the 1st half and we more than matched them.

We played at a pace much higher than I seen last season, should've scored at least 4. 2nd half was even better. Hopefully should suit us against Ipswich who will try and play like Huddersfield.

We just need to be more clinical and also learn to deal with the my shit house teams league 1 brings, ie Burton and Wycombe 

1 hour ago, Rizlar said:

Think teams who play with a big centre forward will target Johnston who for me is easily bullied maybe a case Toal plays against the more physical teams rather than Johnston.

Agree with this. That replay against Stockport being a good example (although we played pretty poorly all round that day).

Surprised Iredale didn’t start yesterday. Guessed he would’ve been a shoe in.

Johnston's issues aren’t going to go away. As mentioned above namely height.. and assumed Iredale was brought in to correct that

maybe just a case of him needing more time to get used to us.. 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Santos also got his arse handed

both couldn’t cope with madden & quigley 

We drew 1-1 against a team in the League above. Nobody "got their arse handed" to them you big drama queen.