Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Joe Fearnhead RIP

Ruba Mustafa

1 hour ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Best amateur footy manager in Bolton in 70’s/80’s/90’s, used to manage Hen n Chickens, Bolton West Indians, Rocket, etc.

he was a great bloke hoping some on here remember him, he died last week, so much charisma, what a fella! 

Rocket always had a great football team.  R.I.P Joe 

28 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Rocket always had a great football team.  R.I.P Joe 

We had a rag bag 11/12 lads from LH although decent footballers ,most weeks we would be struggling for 11 lads and thus never troubled the top of the league, however we always turned up against the rocket and had some memorable games with them, one that sticks out was a 4-4 draw on the pitch near the rocket pub, was always intimidating but to be fair they had some good players, Tony B, Clint were a handful, Hulmes brothers etc.

Sadly we met Bolton West indians when we were all about 20 years old and they usually stuffed us. Was a fantastic era to play in the Bolton Sunday league.

I did not know Joe Fearnhead but sounds like a top football man. RIP Joe.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Best amateur footy manager in Bolton in 70’s/80’s/90’s, used to manage Hen n Chickens, Bolton West Indians, Rocket, etc.

he was a great bloke hoping some on here remember him, he died last week, so much charisma, what a fella! 

@Pablo Will most likely know him as his Dad was involved with Hen & Chicks and other top teams through that era.    

6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

@Pablo Will most likely know him as his Dad was involved with Hen & Chicks and other top teams through that era.    

Yes, my dad knew him very well. My dad took over after Joe running hen n chicks.

RIP 

Edited by Pablo

Bet my Dad knew him. He played for and ran The Volunteer, Bolton Supporters club, Squirell in Howrich and a few others. 

Remember him mentioning the rocket as a tough team. Always had big black lads in the ranks.

On 16/05/2022 at 10:06, Ruba Mustafa said:

Do you have details of the funeral, I will pass them onto my old man.

On 16/05/2022 at 11:38, Mounts Kipper said:

We had a rag bag 11/12 lads from LH although decent footballers ,most weeks we would be struggling for 11 lads and thus never troubled the top of the league, however we always turned up against the rocket and had some memorable games with them, one that sticks out was a 4-4 draw on the pitch near the rocket pub, was always intimidating but to be fair they had some good players, Tony B, Clint were a handful, Hulmes brothers etc.

Sadly we met Bolton West indians when we were all about 20 years old and they usually stuffed us. Was a fantastic era to play in the Bolton Sunday league.

I did not know Joe Fearnhead but sounds like a top football man. RIP Joe.  

We played them when they got kicked out of the league and had to enter the Bolton Pioneer League under a different name. The lads you mentioned were still playing then! And some crackers in their team. Remember seeing a curled up dogs EAR on the pitch. They intimidated us to fuck and battered us 6-0.

29 minutes ago, Smiley said:

We played them when they got kicked out of the league and had to enter the Bolton Pioneer League under a different name. The lads you mentioned were still playing then! And some crackers in their team. Remember seeing a curled up dogs EAR on the pitch. They intimidated us to fuck and battered us 6-0.

I seem to recall syringes lining the path to the pitch… glamorous it wasn’t. 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

Joseph Fernhead

FEARNHEAD Joseph (Joe) On 12th May 2022, Joe aged 90, passed away peacefully in hospital. Beloved husband to Norma, loving dad to Diane and Kathryn, special grandad to Natalie, Tom, Joe, Katy and Chloe, and good friend to many. Joe played a key part in local amateur football leagues. The funeral service will take place on Wednesday 8th June 2022 in Overdale West Chapel at 12 noon. In lieu of flowers, if desired, a donation in memory can be made to Alzheimer's Research UK. All enquiries to Shaws funeralcare, 01204 526218.

Im so glad I stayed in touch with joe, I last called round about 3 months ago, think I played for several of his teams over the years, he loved chatting football and telling me tales about his teams. Even tho he won loads of leagues n cups his favourite take was about a local kids team he got involved with after he had “retired”

These kids , about 1o yr olds, knocked on his door and said they’d heard he was a football team manager and would he run their team in a cup competition? Anyway joe sent them packing but they returned again the next day to ask him again. He admired their tenacity and you can guess the rest, yes they won it! 

Top fella! 

12 hours ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Joseph Fernhead

FEARNHEAD Joseph (Joe) On 12th May 2022, Joe aged 90, passed away peacefully in hospital. Beloved husband to Norma, loving dad to Diane and Kathryn, special grandad to Natalie, Tom, Joe, Katy and Chloe, and good friend to many. Joe played a key part in local amateur football leagues. The funeral service will take place on Wednesday 8th June 2022 in Overdale West Chapel at 12 noon. In lieu of flowers, if desired, a donation in memory can be made to Alzheimer's Research UK. All enquiries to Shaws funeralcare, 01204 526218.

Im so glad I stayed in touch with joe, I last called round about 3 months ago, think I played for several of his teams over the years, he loved chatting football and telling me tales about his teams. Even tho he won loads of leagues n cups his favourite take was about a local kids team he got involved with after he had “retired”

These kids , about 1o yr olds, knocked on his door and said they’d heard he was a football team manager and would he run their team in a cup competition? Anyway joe sent them packing but they returned again the next day to ask him again. He admired their tenacity and you can guess the rest, yes they won it! 

Top fella! 

Great story mate.

I will pass these onto my Dad, im sure he would like to come and pay his respects.