Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jake Daniels

Rudy

• Members
6 minutes ago, royal white said:

Less than 7% of the country are gay. What’s the chances of a few of them being an elite footballer? 

You seem to know a lot about this 😁

• Moderators

Years ago (1992) 

The Comic Strip did an episode about a footballer (played by Keith Allen) coming out 

I've probably not seen it in 30 years but it was very good back then 

3 hours ago, Escobarp said:

It’s actually a sad sign of where we are in the world that this is news. Who cares. The lad is the same lad he was yesterday and same he will be tomorrow. 

It matters because no other players have come out. Let's take @royal white 7% figure as accurate, so 1 in 14. 

If every club has 28 pros on their books, that is 2 per club. 92 clubs so 184 based on averages, for the last 20 plus years there have been 0. 

Young kid today struggling with their sexuality deep down knows he is gay but his heroes are all footballers and as 0 footballers are gay it makes him even more worried about his feelings, if Daniels at least gives him someone to look upto and realise his feelings are normal then it is a good thing and that is why it is news. Sad that it is  news, but it is.

Just now, Ani said:

It matters because no other players have come out. Let's take @royal white 7% figure as accurate, so 1 in 14. 

If every club has 28 pros on their books, that is 2 per club. 92 clubs so 184 based on averages, for the last 20 plus years there have been 0. 

Young kid today struggling with their sexuality deep down knows he is gay but his heroes are all footballers and as 0 footballers are gay it makes him even more worried about his feelings, if Daniels at least gives him someone to look upto and realise his feelings are normal then it is a good thing and that is why it is news. Sad that it is  news, but it is.

You clearly misunderstand my sentiment here. 

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

You clearly misunderstand my sentiment here. 

Do not think I do, you said it was a sad state of affairs, and I am agreeing with you . It is a sad state because clearly in recent years no other player has felt it right to discuss this. 

14 minutes ago, Ani said:

Do not think I do, you said it was a sad state of affairs, and I am agreeing with you . It is a sad state because clearly in recent years no other player has felt it right to discuss this. 

I offer my profound apologies then as it was myself that misunderstood 

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Openly gay.

Now you've got that figure, you can work it out if you are so inclined.

I’ll leave it to you. There maybe 10 there maybe 0 there’s really no need for them to come out with it if they don’t want to. 

23 minutes ago, Ani said:

It doesn’t quite work like that. 

24 minutes ago, Ani said:

If every club has 28 pros on their books, that is 2 per club. 92 clubs so 184 based on averages

Thanks. So, if football has, say, half that ratio I'd still call that "a good few".