Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jake Daniels

Rudy

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, royal white said:

Your analogy would have 33 gingers playing in the prem. they don’t. 

That's because I plucked the figure out of thin air. I have no idea what actual % of people have ginger hair.

Anyway, you're wrong. There are 507 players registered in the Premier League. If you assume my made up figure is correct, that would mean there are probably only 5 players with ginger hair.

Edited by Cheese

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

That's because I plucked the figure out of thin air. I have no idea what actual % of people have ginger hair.

Anyway, you're wrong. There are 507 players registered in the Premier League. That would mean there are only 5 with ginger hair.

No that’s what happens when you pluck figures out of thin air. How would it mean only 5 are ginge if the population with ginger hair is 6% 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, royal white said:

No that’s what happens when you pluck figures out of thin air. How would it mean only 5 are ginge if the population with ginger hair is 6% 

I said 1%. Starting to suspect esco is right. Put the bottle down.

10 hours ago, Cheese said:

Jesus Christ 🤦‍♂️. I'm not talking about the actual figure. Change the statistic to "1% of people have ginger hair", and see if that helps you understand how statistics work.... would roughly 1 in 100 footballers have ginger hair?

Edited by Cheese

Just now, Cheese said:

I said 1%. Starting to suspect esco is right. Put the bottle down.

Yes but that’s because you plucked the figure out of thin air. I have used  the sums using the correct figures and Anis initial figure of 28 per club. 

Get back to me once you’ve done the math and not just guessing 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

Yes but that’s because you plucked the figure out of thin air. I have used  the sums using the correct figures and Anis initial figure of 28 per club. 

Get back to me once you’ve done the math and not just guessing 

Fuck me. 🤦‍♂️ I'm not talking about Ani's figures. You can argue with him about those. I'm talking about really simple application of statistics. Stuff most people learn at Primary School. Maybe you were skiving that week.

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Fuck me. 🤦‍♂️ I'm not talking about Ani's figures. You can argue with him about those. I'm talking about really simple application of statistics. Stuff most people learn at Primary School. Maybe you were skiving that week.

We all were originally. let’s use your figures then. 507 registerd players, 6% of the population ginge. What do you get? 

Edited by royal white

25 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Whilst not wanting to delve into the argument too much. Are we saying that there will be the same proportion of fudge packers as a percentage of the total  in say the prem as in hairdressers or theatres? 

I find that hard to believe on the face of it. I’ve never seen any well known footballers up here in the queue to get in cc blooms on a Saturday night

Ok you and @royal white are making similar points. Basically saying certain job types are more likely to be taken by gay men. Can not disagree with say air stewards based on my personal experience 😗 which sounds wrong but you know what I mean.

So if we accept that it is logical to say that a lower % will be in other jobs. So you get into cause and effect. Refer you back to my earlier post, young kid very good footballer but won't pursue a career in elite sport because there are so few role models. (Getting called a bummer and/or fudge packer wont help either). So he goes off , as Gonzo says, surpresses his feelings and lives a 'normal' life.

Or he continues to become a player but won't tell anyone because he is worried won't be accepted. Neither are outcomes that are good for anyones mental health. 

Given nearly 30 years ago the Fashanu came out as gay and ended up killing himself and since then silence. A few players came out after their time so there is definite evidence that some players feel the need to hide it.

As per yesterdays post that is why this is important news. 

Can I or anyone prove that there will elite sportsmen hiding their sexuality or not wanting to make public statements about it ? No. Can anyone prove the numbers involved ? No. Does that mean it is not happening ? No.

Does anyone really think that there are no gay sportsmen ? Mark Foster ( I typed fister 😂😎) and Colin Jackson 2 examples of people who thought they had to hide it. 

Let's be honest the gays can not be cricketers as they won't be able to throw the ball so football would be a decent avenue. 

1 minute ago, Ani said:

Ok you and @royal white are making similar points. Basically saying certain job types are more likely to be taken by gay men. Can not disagree with say air stewards based on my personal experience 😗 which sounds wrong but you know what I mean.

So if we accept that it is logical to say that a lower % will be in other jobs. So you get into cause and effect. Refer you back to my earlier post, young kid very good footballer but won't pursue a career in elite sport because there are so few role models. (Getting called a bummer and/or fudge packer wont help either). So he goes off , as Gonzo says, surpresses his feelings and lives a 'normal' life.

Or he continues to become a player but won't tell anyone because he is worried won't be accepted. Neither are outcomes that are good for anyones mental health. 

Given nearly 30 years ago the Fashanu came out as gay and ended up killing himself and since then silence. A few players came out after their time so there is definite evidence that some players feel the need to hide it.

As per yesterdays post that is why this is important news. 

Can I or anyone prove that there will elite sportsmen hiding their sexuality or not wanting to make public statements about it ? No. Can anyone prove the numbers involved ? No. Does that mean it is not happening ? No.

Does anyone really think that there are no gay sportsmen ? Mark Foster ( I typed fister 😂😎) and Colin Jackson 2 examples of people who thought they had to hide it. 

Let's be honest the gays can not be cricketers as they won't be able to throw the ball so football would be a decent avenue. 

😂😂

3 minutes ago, royal white said:

We all were originally. let’s use your figures then. 507 registerd players, 6% of the population ginge. What do you get? 

The wrong answer as less than 2% of people are ginger.

Hair colour is genetic, sexuality is not so the comparison is just wrong. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, royal white said:

🤦‍♂️ Where did I ever suggest 6%?

35 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Its obviously more complex than gays love theatre and straight people don't as much.

In many cases its how traditonally work environments are, if you are not made to feel safe or a referred to as fudge packers then you'd made a fairly safe asumption that this isn't a space you'd want to spend much time in, no matter how much you are good at it.

In theatre 68% of theatre goers are women, yet they are underrpresented in the sector 2:1 - all the top jobs and top board positions are taken by men - overwhelming straight men. 

There is also economics. The creative industries are notoriously badly paid with long and unsociable hours. Many people with families don't feel this is an option for them unless they have other forms of income. Lots of women in the sector do have partners who have higher earning financial-sector jobs. If you don't have dependants (and despite the rise in gay parents this is obviously still tilted towards gay men) then you can cope with the money, the unsociable hours, the travel and also living in city centres (better for work but shit for schools unless you can afford to go private)

In my part of the sector there has been a rise in straight men in the job - mainly because over the last 20 years its seen as a decent option, whereas it wasn't so much when I left Uni. 

So basically, there are a range of options as to why some careers have a higher percentage of diversity than others. The shocking thing is, even in these overwhelmingly more diverse professions (such as the creative industries) they are still dominated by middle-class, university educated, white, straight, middle-aged men.

4 minutes ago, Ani said:

The wrong answer as less than 2% of people are ginger.

Hair colour is genetic, sexuality is not so the comparison is just wrong. 

But we are using English figures as we are talking about the English league. 

Edited by royal white

Just watched his interview. He speaks very well and explains why it was so important for him not to hide who he is any more. Hopefully he will inspire others. Must be horrible feeling you have to live with that as a secret. Well done to him.