Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

8pm kick offs - A thing of the past?

Horwich

9 minutes ago, stevieb said:

So miss dad and lads buying season tickets. 

And dad's probably going... Do you know what I'll just buy the odd game for us both 

And then never buying the odd game. 

Them 7pm papa John's shows there loads like that... Will take kids for night matches but not getting home near 11. 

Not sure we'll get anything but 7.45 tbf. That will make fuck all impact in terms of crowd numbers in reality. 

I understand the issue with kids.  But the counter argument is (because of a number of reason) some won't be able to get to the stadium for 7:30. Which actually means getting there for 7:15.

Whatever time it is it will be inconvenient for plenty.

1 hour ago, Horwich said:

The problem the club will have is they will be trying to address why upto 4000 fans dont turn up for night games.

That's simple. It's the evening and it's a pain to get to and from at that time of day.

Edited by Underpants

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Underpants said:

I understand the issue with kids.  But the counter argument is (because of a number of reason) some won't be able to get to the stadium for 7:30. Which actually means getting there for 7:15.

Whatever time it is it will be inconvenient for plenty.

The club will have all the data showing who isnt attending these night games.

Fair play for them for looking into it.

3 hours ago, Underpants said:

That's simple. It's the evening and it's a pain to get to and from at that time of day.

And add i-follow into the mix, its not just kids and families that don't come out for night games.  If and when we're back in the championship it will be worse with Sky red button assuming that's still a thing.

Not specific to us, but it would help if there were less night games.  Stop postponing games when its international week, is anyone in favour of having no game to go to at the weekend because your right back and sub keeper are called up for Wales U21s.

9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

And played at Fleetwoods ground.

I was thinking more along the lines of Notts County tbh.

11 minutes ago, Ani said:

Only if we start 30 minutes in so our late goals still count 

Agreed. Could even just play midweek games as highlights packages.

If they wanted to shave a bit off time off but still leave a little extra time for folk to get to Horwich they could go for an unorthodox 7:50 or 7:55 kick off.

The trouble these days is half times that last 16/17 mins and there's loads more injury time in both halves than used to be the case (no proof of that but it feels that way). Saturday games often finish only a tiny bit before 5pm and midweekers a tiny bit before 10pm. Back in the Burnden days you could fit in a 15 min walk to the car and still be back in time for the results on Radio 2/Radio 5 Sports Report at 5pm.