Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Nowack said:

Centrica operating profits for the last six months rose to £1.34bn from £262m. Good news for all of us with decent pension pots but not sure how it is helping with the cost of living. 

So if they usually make around a quarter billion profit per half year but now make over a billion more why are our gas & leccy bills so high? They are taking the piss.

1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

So if they usually make around a quarter billion profit per half year but now make over a billion more why are our gas & leccy bills so high? They are taking the piss.

Profits not people.

It's where we're at boys and girls.

• Site Supporter

Nowt wrong with a macdonalds. Just like any takeaway, have too many and they won't do you any good.

Folk don't moan about entrail laden crap that are hot dogs and burgers often supplied in burger vans, or elephant leg meat supplied to late night kebab demanding piss heads, but happy to have a pop at these lot.

If folk don't like them, don't eat them.

17 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Nowt wrong with a macdonalds. Just like any takeaway, have too many and they won't do you any good.

Folk don't moan about entrail laden crap that are hot dogs and burgers often supplied in burger vans, or elephant leg meat supplied to late night kebab demanding piss heads, but happy to have a pop at these lot.

If folk don't like them, don't eat them.

Correct

Also, if they say they are 100% beef, then I'm sure they are, because sure as fuck a corporation like that would soon be pulled up on it if they weren't. It's probably just really shit cheap beef, the actual patties are thin as fuck as well . Couple that with the fact that they probably, due to folk always gassing on about making food "healthy" they put minimal salt and have pretty much zero fat content as well. A burger you make at home will have far more fat content in it, and that's why it tastes better.

Still, one of the benefits of living in this country, as things stand, is that you're not forced to eat in places where you don't like the food. As TMGJ says, if you don't like them, don't eat there.

I'm no massive fan of McDonalds, but it's amazing that folk on here will slag them off, yet rave about a bowl of gruel  lobby as though it's fine dining

Edited by Sweep

Maccies are able to do the burgers so cheaply as they sell fucking millions of the bastards.

The same patty that's on the cheap hamburger/cheeseburger is the same as on the Big Mac, the quarter pounder patty is on (unsurprisingly) the Quarter Pounder and most of the special burgers. So it keeps things simple.

• Site Supporter

Indeed Frank. Industrially made no doubt, and ecomies of scale.

I think they taste decent too, or I wouldn't bother.

Interesting figures from centrica- they are worldwide figures, not just UK, so they have obviously done well all over. 

Does make you wonder if their profit margin has gone up though as the market price of gas has increased. 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Indeed Frank. Industrially made no doubt, and ecomies of scale.

I think they taste decent too, or I wouldn't bother.

Interesting figures from centrica- they are worldwide figures, not just UK, so they have obviously done well all over. 

Does make you wonder if their profit margin has gone up though as the market price of gas has increased. 

I'm sure I read it wasn't profit made on the UK domestic market..

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Maccies are able to do the burgers so cheaply as they sell fucking millions of the bastards.

The same patty that's on the cheap hamburger/cheeseburger is the same as on the Big Mac, the quarter pounder patty is on (unsurprisingly) the Quarter Pounder and most of the special burgers. So it keeps things simple.

The thin burgers serve 2 purposes,  its less meat so cheaper,  but also only take about 50 seconds to cook. They do about 8/9 burgers at a time on special grills.

1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

I'm sure I read it wasn't profit made on the UK domestic market..

I think it comes from the production of energy which they sell to British Gas, among others, which then they sell to us and makes a smaller profit of just under 100m. 

18 hours ago, Ani said:

Lloyds bank profits boosted by increase interest rate margins.

Centrica already mentioned.

Usual suspects get richer whilst normal working folk are struggling. 

These companies, especially Centrica have made significant losses over recent years so why when the market turns shouldn’t they make a decent profit? Their plans are to reinvest that profit into new technologies like wind, solar and nuclear as well as restoring our Rough gas storage facility in the North Sea. They have also restored a small dividend which will help investors and the pension fund you’re probably in so why has everything got to be a negative because companies make a profit? Tell me you don’t use Social Media or the likes of Amazon who make far more profit than the likes of Centrica and Lloyds but I don’t hear you moaning about that.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

These companies, especially Centrica have made significant losses over recent years so why when the market turns shouldn’t they make a decent profit? Their plans are to reinvest that profit into new technologies like wind, solar and nuclear as well as restoring our Rough gas storage facility in the North Sea. They have also restored a small dividend which will help investors and the pension fund you’re probably in so why has everything got to be a negative because companies make a profit? Tell me you don’t use Social Media or the likes of Amazon who make far more profit than the likes of Centrica and Lloyds but I don’t hear you moaning about that.

king-george-v-photograph-taken-in-the-ea

51 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Have Amazon announced results this week? 

I posted previously about the big companies profits increasing , not sure really what your point is. Mine is the big companies are continuing to make significant profits whereas the news is all about how tough times are. We have rampant inflation but company after company are reporting earnings ahead of plan, does that not seem unfair ? 

You pick social media companies out and I would be delighted if they were also expected to contribute more. 

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Centrica has been horrendously run for years, that's why the profits and therefore dividends paid were poor to non existent. The same senior management group who managed to get the share price down from well north of £2 to less than 30p over a couple of years are now boasting of record profits. Go figure