Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Threw a whole chicken in last week beautiful👌, the latest one we got has two compartments where you can stagger times 

Aye. Got that one.

To stop this turning into Mumsnet, I ought to point out that these are simply the modern version of the chip pan except you’re less likely to die if you come in from the pub and leave it turned on with some spuds being destroyed.

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, Spider said:

Aye. Got that one.

To stop this turning into Mumsnet, I ought to point out that these are simply the modern version of the chip pan except you’re less likely to die if you come in from the pub and leave it turned on with some spuds being destroyed.

Aye, my brother did that and melted his hand and most of his arm and successfully burned down the kitchen and lean-to in the process.

Chip pans especially mixed with an alcohol induced cook are thankfully pretty much a thing of the past.

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Aye, my brother did that and melted his hand and most of his arm and successfully burned down the kitchen and lean-to in the process.

Chip pans especially mixed with an alcohol induced cook are thankfully pretty much a thing of the past.

D’you reckon?

• Site Supporter

Couple of our smaller suppliers are suggesting they may have to go to a 3 day week in January because they can’t afford to pay for the leccy based on advanced costs.

Average pub has a leccy bill of £10k per year, that’s now going to around £28k.

If this intervention doesn’t happen, there’s a some seriously shitty shit happening this winter. People who think “I’m alright Jack” because they’ve a decent bank balance and a pension pot are going to have the smirks wiped off their chops in short order as well.

Truss needs to do something major next week.

• Site Supporter

I'm sure they will, otherwise she'll be out on short order.

Reckon they'll do something with corporation tax, she said the NI rise will be scrapped too. Looking like covid style grants are going to be needed too.

Strangely, it may be better if folk all fuck off to the boozer for the night anyway. With enough folk in, it will warm up and they could turn the heating down. Punters don't have to put their own on neither. Sorted.

25 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm sure they will, otherwise she'll be out on short order.

Reckon they'll do something with corporation tax, she said the NI rise will be scrapped too. Looking like covid style grants are going to be needed too.

Strangely, it may be better if folk all fuck off to the boozer for the night anyway. With enough folk in, it will warm up and they could turn the heating down. Punters don't have to put their own on neither. Sorted.

Pubs will be packed tonight with folk spending their free cash 

Theres talk of power cuts in the winter, folk putting tinfoil on radiators to emitt heat, people stockin up on candles as we all prepare for the worst.

Yet literally every single business I know of is struggling for staff. 

My mrs gaff in PLF is having to close midweek due to no staff, big hotels along the front cant get any. Every take away and chippy in town has signs up.

Why dont people get off their arses and earn some money in preparation?

Get as many hours as you can in and make life easier further down the line?

People would rather sit and wait for handouts, the workshy cunts.

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Theres talk of power cuts in the winter, folk putting tinfoil on radiators to emitt heat, people stockin up on candles as we all prepare for the worst.

My mrs gaff in PLF is having to close midweek due to no staff, big hotels along the front cant get any. Every take away and chippy in town has signs up.

Working in a chippy would kill two birds as well. No effort nor energy expended on cooking- earn money, eat chips sorted. 

• Site Supporter

https://ukerc.ac.uk/news/europes-gas-crisis-requires-a-european-solution/#:~:text=The UK exports natural gas,of its natural gas needs.

An interesting article here about the gas situation. Many commentators mock the uk's energy set up, but on the whole we seem to have a bit more resilience built in.

Obviously we need to keep expanding our own generation infrastructure, which is happening, but in the meantime we seem relatively secure. 

Don't know enough about fracking projections, but my feeling is that the amount of gas we could produce wouldn't massively impact the price.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

You’ve answered your own question