Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, royal white said:

6 fingered gloves aren’t cheap 

Artisan gloves round here mate.

Don’t sell gloves down your way I expect? Surprising, considering most of the locals use their left hand to wipe their arses.

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

Artisan gloves round here mate.

Don’t sell gloves down your way I expect? Surprising, considering most of the locals use their left hand to wipe their arses.

Not in this neck of the woods! Gold plated bogs around here. We are safe for the time being, a couple of miles in certain directions though and it starts to get messy. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, royal white said:

Not in this neck of the woods! Gold plated bogs around here. We are safe for the time being, a couple of miles in certain directions though and it starts to get messy. 

I bet they all have mock Roman columns either side of their front doors an all

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Please explain why that would be the case

If you’re on their renewable tariff, the price fluctuates according to demand and any surplus energy on the grid as a direct result of input from renewable sources (wind, nuclear, wave, solar).

For example, a few months ago, the price per kwH dropped from 24p to tuppence as they needed to offload surplus storage when the wind farms were at full capacity.

If you have smart devices in the house, some can even talk to Octopus and automatically detect the cheap periods and recharge batteries/hot water whilst the cost is lowest.

• Site Supporter

Octopus is a quality company for me.

The only gripe is that as a customer, when logged in to my account, it can be difficult to access details of new/alternative tariffs.

That said, the honest information (as illustrated above) is to be respected. 

They're making all sorts of efforts with regards to renewables.

The amount of dough we haemorrhage on casual shopping is ridiculous. A quick nip to the shop for a few bits is £10 minimum every single day. Money goes nowhere. 

Legged it to shop last night for some milk and did £8 and Im not even sure what I bought other than milk :D

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

The amount of dough we haemorrhage on casual shopping is ridiculous. A quick nip to the shop for a few bits is £10 minimum every single day. Money goes nowhere. 

Legged it to shop last night for some milk and did £8 and Im not even sure what I bought other than milk :D

Get one of those Aspen cards or 2.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

That's why we have carried on with the gusto/hello fresh stuff..

Yes it's more expensive, but we do one other shop a week and maybe nip out for bread/milk occasionally. Was proud of myself yesterday walking into Tesco for cough syrup, and coming out ... with just cough syrup. Probably spending about 50 quid a week on food (we have packed lunches), and then 50 quid on Gusto which does us for 5 of those nights. 

We don't "struggle" for money, but my wife seems to have this ability to not be overly frugal unlike me. Boxes and boxes of kids clothes that have been worn once. Last time I bought some new clothes was about a year ago..