Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

29 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Paying similar in Hertfordshire

We don't have kids but have a three bedroom house, but needed as we both have to work from home 

Pre-pandemic a three bedroom house is a family home but not now 

Good luck to us finding a similar house for under £450k

Used to live in Hertfordshire, no way I'd want to pay that there.

No offence, but it was like living at the end of the earth. Grim, and flat.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Wages just haven't risen with cost of living.

I know our rent is high but we are so lucky that the landlord lives abroad and its her mums old house. It's not her main source of income. In the pandemic when I got made redundant we agreed what we could pay what we could afford on the deal she said she would ever ask for any back rent and she told the letting agency that she never wants us to be phoned chasing anything. Both the letting agent and the landlord have been superb.

The letting agent asks for more, we say what we can afford and the landlord says that's fine. The letting agent said our house could go for 2.1k a month, we have a locked in agreement for 1.6k

The worst thing here its the people right at the bottom, who are renting from people who have 8/10 houses and it's their income. Going fro 700 quid a month to 1k is a killer for most people in the North renting.

I had a look before just out of morbid curiosity..

IN Bolton 2 bed terraced are about £650 a month

I had a look for a 5 bed, similar sized to ours.. £1500-1700 a month..

Crazy money!

34 minutes ago, royal white said:

I did wonder where that came from

I added Sweeps bonus for some people in too 🤪🤪, apologies .

@Mounts Kipper mis read it. 
Thought it was rather generous ! 

So 7.5% would be a starter for the Govt. (Assuming they use WWAys as a benchmark 😂). I think the idea of over 10 is fanciful. So that would be top end imo 

36 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Maybe around the figure that those who look after us when we are sick and ill aren't leaving a profession because they can't draw a living wage.

A wage that values their jobs in relation to their value to society.

That sort of amount big nuts.

Which is? 

10 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Wages just haven't risen with cost of living.

I know our rent is high but we are so lucky that the landlord lives abroad and its her mums old house. It's not her main source of income. In the pandemic when I got made redundant we agreed what we could pay what we could afford on the deal she said she would ever ask for any back rent and she told the letting agency that she never wants us to be phoned chasing anything. Both the letting agent and the landlord have been superb.

The letting agent asks for more, we say what we can afford and the landlord says that's fine. The letting agent said our house could go for 2.1k a month, we have a locked in agreement for 1.6k

The worst thing here its the people right at the bottom, who are renting from people who have 8/10 houses and it's their income. Going fro 700 quid a month to 1k is a killer for most people in the North renting.

1k is standard rent for a 3 bedroom house these days in this neck of the woods , don’t  get me wrong property/rent is more down south but it’s been creeping up for years this way 

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

1k is standard rent for a 3 bedroom house these days in this neck of the woods , don’t  get me wrong property/rent is more down south but it’s been creeping up for years this way 

Im too soft :)

Nurses Pay 

my mums been in Bolton  Hospital  for 5 weeks 

got COVID in there  She was Fine 

been moved 6 times to Diff  Wards  They once moved her at 2am WTF 

anyway some of the fuckers just sit in the office fucking about on there phones 

Some Do go Above and Beond 

a lot of Big Unit    ones  There  not sure why they do a lot of walking about 

and they have to pay £20 a month for parking WTF 

i would give them 10%

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, little whitt said:

Nurses Pay 

i would give them 10%

Even the fuckers who play on their phones?

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The NHS is an absolute money pit. 

From supplies to contracts. In my old job it was well known amongst contractors, if its NHS, name your price. 

Could whack 10-20% on any price and you'd still get it.

Look at the PPE bollocks during covid. That wont be isolated.

Ive spent quite a bit of time in the vic over the last year, with my mum on end of life for a week and now my brother who has been in there for a month. Ive never seen a single one tossing it off on their phones. Maybe the ones whitt saw were on their breaks?

What I have seen is utterly amazing human beings offering a different level of care any normal person could dream of offering.

Everyone of them stretched to the max, running about all over gaff for 12-14 hours straight during nights and weekends. Sometimes more.

They should be the hignest paid occupation in this country. Instead they are on a par with other job with half the hassle and you have to think why the fuck do they do it.

...reason is, they are utterly amazing human beings.

You can include the care home workers in that, I have no idea how they go into that environment day in day out… they have my utmost respect. 

We've seen a massive hike in applications with ballots on the cards. A lot of sectors considering strikes; health especially. It breaks my heart when I see the sheer volume of applications from nurses, ODPs, HCAs etc all on low bandings- then office bods creaming top pay. The NHS is fucked- a basic complaints handler can earn 40k as agency staff; I've known folk qualify, do their 2 years and leave, just to be employed as agency staff on twice the pay. 

I don't hate the player, I hate the game

• Moderators
1 hour ago, little whitt said:

Nurses Pay 

i would give them 10%

5%, a bi-weekly round of applause, and they can push in at the bar 

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

The NHS is an absolute money pit. 

From supplies to contracts. In my old job it was well known amongst contractors, if its NHS, name your price. 

Look at the PPE bollocks during covid. That wont be isolated.

Ive spent quite a bit of time in the vic over the last year, with my mum on end of life for a week and now my brother who has been in there for a month. Ive never seen a single one tossing it off on their phones. Maybe the ones whitt saw were on their breaks?

What I have seen is utterly amazing human beings offering a different level of care any normal person could dream of offering.

Everyone of them stretched to the max, running about all over gaff for 12-14 hours straight during nights and weekends. Sometimes more.

They should be the hignest paid occupation in this country. Instead they are on a par with other job with half the hassle and you have to think why the fuck do they do it.

...reason is, they are utterly amazing human beings.

spot on again Gonzo

@kent_white will be round for his blowjob later. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

they also get a blue light discount to be used at many places, but if they havent got the money to spend...

I think you need to buy the blue light card. You’re paying for the card supplier to go begging for discounts on your behalf.

£4.99 for 2 years. https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/careers-advice/careers-in-the-armed-forces#:~:text=You'll have to commit,forces you want to join.

Gonzo:

"The NHS is an absolute money pit. 

Look at the PPE bollocks during covid. That wont be isolated."

This is true of all government departments, and especially the armed forces who procure way above the going rate. I've worked with Defence Estates before and on one occasion was able to hook them up with 3 quotes to above spec for refurbs averaging a third of the amount paid - usually it's around half. They declined and it felt like there were kickbacks in the equation.

Incompetent, corrupt or simply lazy layers of middle management burning money on construction, maintenance, outsourcing and general procurement means less core staff so it's no surprise that folk leave - what a waste of talent.

And at the same time there are hundreds of thousands of fully qualified hard working doctors and nurses around the world who don't earn as much where they are but don't feel welcome in our racist country.

The government has to decide if they want to properly support and manage the NHS or sell it off to the Yanks and force everyone to buy private health insurance, but the way it's being strangled into a slow and lingering death is appalling and unsustainable - but it does mean that the politicians don't have to make any commitments or raise taxes further. We certainly seem to be walking blindly towards a two tier healthcare system where the remnants of the NHS will only serve the poor.

There's an argument banded about that if we go for the wealth of the richest then they will no longer stick around to play. The reality is that if we don't support our public services then they won't be staffed. Which will cause far more damage to society than if a multinational decided to move overseas. 

"The richest 10% of the population now takes 52% of global income and the poorest half just 8%". There are astonishing amounts of money sitting there idly that could be reinvested into our NHS and social care. Even more so during a time of crisis. 

Until we make a genuine effort to redistribute that wealth, then politicians saying that they sympathise but there is just no money isn't an argument that will prevent strikes. You'll find when there's a genuine situation where we're all in together that this country has incredible capacity to pull together and take a hit, but we're not in that situation.