Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter

Last time I was in France, I bought a tin of foie gras, and an even bigger tin with a full duck in it.

Filthy cunts they are, the French.

But the grub is second to none. And I washed it all down with a litre of locally produced wine followed by cheese rolled on the thighs of wrinkly old peasant wives.

Tonight, I’m having pasta and fizzy water.

Ace.

7 minutes ago, Spider said:

Last time I was in France, I bought a tin of foie gras, and an even bigger tin with a full duck in it.

Filthy cunts they are, the French.

But the grub is second to none. And I washed it all down with a litre of locally produced wine followed by cheese rolled on the thighs of wrinkly old peasant wives.

Tonight, I’m having pasta and fizzy water.

Ace.

Have you got yourself a soda stream for your fizzy water intake. It saves a fortune and with Northern water being tasty as you're onto a winner.

3 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Was told that they are monitored on how many items they scan per minute or hour 

Also when they first opened stores over here the cashiers had to memorise the prices of items as they didn't have the barcode scanners 

Sainsbury's did that in 87 when I had Saturday job. Used to shove anything wouldn't scan down conveyor for free to keep rate up.

Any obscure fruit or veg went through as an onion

Edited by green genie

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, gonzo said:

How far we off blackouts @Spider?

Warmer winter has helped.

We need more wind.

It’s less likely than it was though.

all the bills are landing on doormats and inboxes this week, people are going to start switching shit off

54 minutes ago, Gonk said:

Thanks in part to the Govt paying £67 per month whilst still on a fixed tarriff from 2020, I'm now £560 in credit. I think I might draw it out and go somewhere warm on holiday

We’re on a fixed rate and £870.99 in credit even without the government payments, but I’m going to wait for at least another two billing periods before even daring to think about withdrawing it. 

2 hours ago, Gonk said:

Thanks in part to the Govt paying £67 per month whilst still on a fixed tarriff from 2020, I'm now £560 in credit. I think I might draw it out and go somewhere warm on holiday

I was £900 in credit before winter. 

2 weeks of the Mrs being at home over Christmas put paid to that. Think it'll be down to about 200 after this month, if that. 

Fairly Oddparents Burn GIF

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Warmer winter has helped.

We need more wind.

It’s less likely than it was though.

all the bills are landing on doormats and inboxes this week, people are going to start switching shit off

Wind dropped significantly today.  3 coal fired power stations warmed up today cos it's still cold down south.

• Moderators

Had smart meters installed since November and they still aren't working properly 

But EON tells us we've spent £550 on gas since mid November and probably £350 on electric 

I think it must be broken 

Paying council tax in 10 installments will help as we dont pay it in Feb or March 

Will spend the saving on thermals for round the house 

12 minutes ago, Zico said:

Had smart meters installed since November and they still aren't working properly 

But EON tells us we've spent £550 on gas since mid November and probably £350 on electric 

Paying council tax in 10 installments will help as we dont pay it in Feb or March 

Will spend the savings at Gusto 

😉

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Will spend the saving on thermals for round the house 

We had a smart meter fitted when we moved into this house, the electricity element of it's fine, and that reports every half hour. The gas element of it never works, so I still have to provide monthly readings.

I'm the same with the council tax, paying over 10 months, so I see Feb and March as "free money months" to do with as I please.......so I use it to pay my car tax  🙂 

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I dont give a fuck how much it costs. Im not being cold in my own house.

Fuck that.

Am the same especially with working from home 

Moved in just over a year ago and our monthly direct debit has gone from £60 to £144 but so be it

The other half leaving lights on in every room needs clamping down on though 

Did try to get a smart meter when we first moved in but EDF cited COVID as a reason for not doing them

I'm not particularly arsed about having one but then I can't be arsed doing meter readings 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Am the same especially with working from home 

Moved in just over a year ago and our monthly direct debit has gone from £60 to £144 but so be it

The other half leaving lights on in every room needs clamping down on though 

Did try to get a smart meter when we first moved in but EDF cited COVID as a reason for not doing them

I'm not particularly arsed about having one but then I can't be arsed doing meter readings 

Dare you to fit those push-button timed switches they use in communal areas.