Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Legally yes, politically no.

It's a bonafide Brexit benefit for me.

Hungary, Germany and Slovakia all did similar to us. They were all still in the EU last time I checked.

Edited by Cheese

17 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Hungary, Germany and Slovakia all did similar to us. They were all still in the EU last time I checked.

We've had this argument before.

Hungary, Germany, and Slovakia - along with every other member state except the UK - enrolled on the EU collective procurement programme, and they did so because it was expected of members (collective bargaining being one of the core values of the whole project).

It was only afterwards, when the EU strategy proved substandard, that they acted independently.

Believe we would've acted independently from the get-go had Remain won the referendum if you wish, but I think the political reality was pretty clear that we wouldn't.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We've had this argument before.

Hungary, Germany, and Slovakia - along with every other member state except the UK - enrolled on the EU collective procurement programme, and they did so because it was expected of members (collective bargaining being one of the core values of the whole project).

It was only afterwards, when the EU strategy proved substandard, that they acted independently.

Believe we would've acted independently from the get-go had Remain won the referendum if you wish, but I think the political reality was pretty clear that we wouldn't.

Either way, it's purely hypothetical, so it says a lot that it's the only Brexit benefit anyone can come up with. "We might not have done it if we hadn't voted to leave the EU, even though there would've been nothing stopping us."

Edited by Cheese

There is a discrepancy here. 

On the one hand you have people who have moved out and are renting, so they are paying more than the cost of a mortgage and already have to pay all their own bills, council tax, broadband and so on. For these people to be able to save up a deposit is very hard and would take many years even on a decent income. 

And by the time you have saved it up you are 35 and dying want to be buying a run down stater home, the kind of thing which would have been OK when you were 19 and first moving out of your parents... 

Edited by Jayjay23

On the other hand we have those who live at home, pay a token amount to their parents and have no other commitments unless they chose them. They expect to be able to have the latest phone, multiple holidays, expensive days and nights out, new clothes, a pay as you go Mercedes. They want all this and so they choose it over saving up. 

A couple I know, very well, earn 25k per year between them. They bought their own house for 110k last year. 10% deposit. 35 year mortgage. And they couldn't be happier. However, nothing was given to them. They saved up for two years to get the deposit together. But they had a second hand car between them. Didn't upgrade their basic phones. Didn't have sky TV or gym memberships or any holidays. They lived on about 15k per year. Oh and by the way they were also renting, so had a lot more to pay out than someone living at home... 

It can be done. It's hard. But it's also possible. And a choice.

53 minutes ago, Jayjay23 said:

On the other hand we have those who live at home, pay a token amount to their parents and have no other commitments unless they chose them. They expect to be able to have the latest phone, multiple holidays, expensive days and nights out, new clothes, a pay as you go Mercedes. They want all this and so they choose it over saving up. 

A couple I know, very well, earn 25k per year between them. They bought their own house for 110k last year. 10% deposit. 35 year mortgage. And they couldn't be happier. However, nothing was given to them. They saved up for two years to get the deposit together. But they had a second hand car between them. Didn't upgrade their basic phones. Didn't have sky TV or gym memberships or any holidays. They lived on about 15k per year. Oh and by the way they were also renting, so had a lot more to pay out than someone living at home... 

It can be done. It's hard. But it's also possible. And a choice.

It's really not a choice for many, that's why these 'I know a couple' arguments are bollocks.

49 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

It's really not a choice for many, that's why these 'I know a couple' arguments are bollocks.

There are plenty of anecdotal comments on here. You give more than most. It’s an opinion and an experience that is worthy of comment whether you agree with it or not.

2 hours ago, globaldiver said:

Probably 

Seems expensive

Depends what you drive, I suppose. Cost us £350ish for two of us on a 5 year old Citroen C1 with an engine small enough that we get free road tax. Just had to pay £50 to upgrade from 8,000 annual mileage to 15,000 because of a change in work. 

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Depends what you drive, I suppose. Cost us £350ish for two of us on a 5 year old Citroen C1 with an engine small enough that we get free road tax. Just had to pay £50 to upgrade from 8,000 annual mileage to 15,000 because of a change in work. 

do you have  pay more the more miles you do

I never Knew that 

Had a MOT 2 weeks back

Ins  i just put 10'000 down 

last 12 months 8300

year before 16000

1 hour ago, little whitt said:

do you have  pay more the more miles you do

I never Knew that 

Had a MOT 2 weeks back

Ins  i just put 10'000 down 

last 12 months 8300

year before 16000

Yes, it does make a difference. 

Mine recently went up for £480 to £520 per year, I looked on some comparison sites, and it was up at £600 as an average