Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

7 minutes ago, tomski said:

I’ll book some time with him in our London rendezvous place when I see him next ha.

He should get back on here as he loved doing his own research 

Yep needs to get back on.

When you see him typing on WhatsApp its time to make yourself a brew, lights down and settle in for some good solid reading.

Calculating Zach Galifianakis GIF by filmeditor

• Site Supporter

We buy over £15mill of steel every year.

Sheffield is 50 miles from the factory, but it’s still cheaper to give our money to a load of EU Johnny Foreigners and have them ship it in from thousands of miles away.

The great foundries of Sheffield should be ten times bigger. 

2 hours ago, tomski said:

I can’t defend the energy companies making so much money at the detriment of so many. I’m all for capitalist opportunity but this is amounting to robbery what they are doing. Wankers.

Tories often point to the fact that successive governments including Labour have continued down the path that Thatcher sent us down but by far the biggest sell off of our national assets happened under her disastrous tenure and I guess that once we've embarked down that path it's much harder to turn back in the short term scenario.

Labour was weak in fighting Maggie's fire sale - just as it still is in fighting Brexit - and I suspect the reasons are the same inasmuch they want the popular working class vote, only back then it was more focused on the support of the Unions - they backed the miners/NUM, steel workers and the railways but weren't that interested in supporting the less unionised sectors that were involved when we ran our own nuclear plants, extracted our own oil and gas, supplied our own water and controlled our own air industry.

If there had been more of a concerted effort to make improvements in terms of modernisation and efficiency rather than selling it all off to foreigners to operate, the UK would be massively better off these days IMO. And I blame Thatcher for f*****g the UK.

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

just as it still is in fighting Brexit

As a matter of interest, do you mean fighting Brexit because that ship already sailed, or do you mean trying to ensure as good an outcome for UK citizens as is possible in which case ‘fighting’ isn’t the right verb.

21 minutes ago, MickyD said:

As a matter of interest, do you mean fighting Brexit because that ship already sailed, or do you mean trying to ensure as good an outcome for UK citizens as is possible in which case ‘fighting’ isn’t the right verb.

I think I meant "opposing" in the sense of "failing to oppose any dilution of laws governing working standards, workers safety and employment rights by wooing what was the populist agenda at the time".

But who knows - I'm a senile old c*** :)

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, Sweep said:

He'd easily be in his 90s I reckon

Technically, he'd be the owner of Vatican City and all churches around the globe so would probably be the richest person on earth by some distance.

And i imagine he'd get some decent coin from image rights.

If all else fails, he'd be able to get a job at Axfords as a carpenter.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, little whitt said:

How Old would he be today ???

Well by my vape packet maths, our lad would be 2,023, with Allah and Mohammed trailing in his holy wake with about 1,400 apiece, but for deity nobility you've got to look no further than Jehovah with a whopping 5,767. Oy vey!

Other gods are available at a variety of vintages to suit all pockets and cake sizes.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Well by my vape packet maths, our lad would be 2,023, with Allah and Mohammed trailing in his holy wake with about 1,400 apiece, but for deity nobility you've got to look no further than Jehovah with a whopping 5,767. Oy vey!

Other gods are available at a variety of vintages to suit all pockets and cake sizes.

10 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

2022, not 2023 surely 

39 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Ok, our lad would be 2023 at Christmas. That 10 months makes all the difference. He won't have defered his pension by that much.

It's all a load of old bollox invented way back when.  The Roman Christian historian Sextus Julius Africanus dated Jesus' conception to March 25 (the same date upon which he held that the world was created), which, after nine months in his mother's womb, would result in a December 25 birth.

55 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

While we're on the subject, sort of, why is sponsorship of a donkey £2, and a polar bear only £3 when a polar bear could kick the hardest donkey's arse easy.

Would you rather fight a polar bear sized donkey or a gang of donkey sized polar bears?