Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

48 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I went to a meeting in London on Tuesday. 1 hr 55 mins train, wonderful. Only problem was that it took 1 hr 10 mins to drive the 6 miles to Wigan station 🙈

Coming back was a belter though. Left Euston at half 7 and walked through the front door at 9.59

That’s it. You can’t argue the Wigan to Euston bit. That seems to have gone down. I get the train from Bolton as I think it will be quicker than driving from where I am. It normally always ruins the trip though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Have you got one for the missing two years or so?

It’s the latest one I could find.

Ten years of lag seems to be enough to prove a point.

I've had a week off work at home doing north west day trips. 

Fuck me I should have gone to benidorm for a week. 

Fifty fucking quid for a swim and a slide in a leisure centre in Southport today. 

We need the water centre back. Make Bolton great again 

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Carlos said:

£75 for Pulp tickets. Seventy five pounds. Actually seventy seven.

Can charge top dollar for reunion tours 

It's why Shed Seven do one every year

• Site Supporter

Concert tickets have genuinely quadrupled since Covid.

I get why they do it, but the “product” hasn’t changed.

Im going watching Iron Maiden in a few weeks and even they’ve gone up over £70

People want 'free' music - got to pay more for live concerts for your heritage acts.

But I've been to 10 gigs this year and not paid over £35.

Go and watch the younger bands - much cheaper. Sad I missed out on Sparks tickets though - their new album is fantastic.

Edited by Not in Crawley

Just now, Carlos said:

I've bought fucking loads of Pulp stuff, even the shit stuff from the 80s. No idea how they justify more than £50. Not even the full proper band without Russel Senior.

Karen's whose husbands pay for their tickets because they've heard common people on radio 2 

Prove me wrong. 

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Traf said:

If those of you who 'like' music paid for your streaming, then acts wouldn't need to charge eleventyseven pounds a ticket.

9 hours ago, Spider said:

I pay

I'm curious though 

How do you not pay for streaming? 

Or all there still folk downloading albums via bit torrent to listen to on iTunes? 

Really couldn't be arsed with that anymore

20 minutes ago, Zico said:

I'm curious though 

Or all there still folk downloading albums via bit torrent to listen to on iTunes? 

Indeed, I think I only pay £9.99 pretty month from Spotify, which I think is tremendous value, and saves any fucking about

• Moderators
Just now, Sweep said:

Indeed, I think I only pay £9.99 pretty month from Spotify, which I think is tremendous value, and saves any fucking about

Aye, same 

I believe that streaming isn't as profitable for artists as CDs were back in the day 

But that's also due in part to the record companies 

And that's why gig tickets are more expensive and why bands are doing more reunion and album anniversary tours 

Because gigs are the best way for artists to make money for themselves 

I think

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Zico said:

I'm curious though 

Lad I know just uses YouTube to listen to music, the tight fucker

1 minute ago, Zico said:

Aye, same 

I believe that streaming isn't as profitable for artists as CDs were back in the day 

But that's also due in part to the record companies 

And that's why gig tickets are more expensive and why bands are doing more reunion and album anniversary tours 

Because gigs are the best way for artists to make money for themselves 

I think

All that makes sense. On the plus side, if you do have a real talent then you will earn well. 

Spotify (and yes I use it) is evil for artists. They get paid next to nothing. Basically nowadays the actual.music is a gateway to the live experience.

But the biggest issue is that smaller and younger bands find it also.impossible to make a living and no record company invests in artists without an immediate return. Look at all the big heritage acts like U2, took 3/4 albums to start making a modest return - that model isn't possible anymore so you are going to get a pipeline problem - these bands will die off and the way we consume music means there will have to be a change to the live music experience. Heritage bands (with merch as well) prop up the bigger companies- Universal Catalogue is the highest earning part of the division and looks after the back catalogues of the big artists - living and dead (when dead artists can earn more with repackaged material then there is always a problem - but its also because the people buying this stuff is generally older middle aged gen x-ers with more disposable income than younger people and a generally completists by nature)

So Ulrich was right when he moaned all those years ago by Napster - basically getting a fair pay for a product made, which they can't now so they have to diversify and the older model is broken and in 10/15 years there will be a new problem of replenishment of artists that can sell at the required volume.

One way round this is the way they companies set up an artist like Billie Ellish. She was built over the course of 2/3 years before being released on the general mass public - so it looked like she came from.nowhere but everyone at the label (and further) had her as the number one priority.