Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shirt collections

MickyD

• Site Supporter

My lad has been collecting Bolton shirts for a while and has left all the unframed ones at home.  

Just been going through them.  This thing must've passed me by.  I have no recollection of this sponsor.  Seems a bit small-time so I'm guessing Phil Neal era. 

20220608_090452.jpg

• Site Supporter

Quite often, following the last game of the season, the club allowed teams to play on the hallowed turf (at a cost). I’m wondering if this AH company did things a bit flash and kitted their team out with specially printed shirts.

Pretty certain we did not sell a replica kit at this time, which suggests it is match worn but not by the 1st team. There was a very cheap looking version of the home shirt available at the Happy Shop without the Umbro branding or shirt sponsor, and with “Bolton Wanderers FC” around the badge in red. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Baba O'Riley said:

Pretty certain we did not sell a replica kit at this time, which suggests it is match worn but not by the 1st team. There was a very cheap looking version of the home shirt available at the Happy Shop without the Umbro branding or shirt sponsor, and with “Bolton Wanderers FC” around the badge in red. 

rings true

i think one just after had red involved in the v neck, which was the first one you could buy

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Could it not be an amateur team?

Don’t know. It’s genuine Umbro. I would imagine they’d require the permission of BWFC to make a run of extra shirts with the club logo on. 

51 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Don’t know. It’s genuine Umbro. I would imagine they’d require the permission of BWFC to make a run of extra shirts with the club logo on. 

Maybe an old kit with the sponsor put on afterwards?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Did we not have a sponsor in 1985 then? 

Screenshot_20220608-170304_Chrome.jpg

think that might have been HB or even Normid

thats the shirt i was describing and fan shirts didnt have sponsors on and were, from memory, all long sleeved

3 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

You see far from being small time, Alexander Howden Group came into existence in late 1984 when Alexander Howden Insurance Brokers changed their name. So the earliest this shirt dates from is December 1984

AHG existed long before then if this is correct, depends on which entity u are looking at:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00546833

Edited by ErnestTurnip