Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Managerial Ins and Outs 2022-23

Johnnyrotten

11 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Michael Duff left Cheltenham for Barnsley 

Good appointment by them, I would expect them to be top 6 with Duff, although no doubt he'll have to make a lot of changes to the squad first.

Edited by Johnnyrotten
didnt mean to send

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Let's hope that turns out to be as strange an appointment as it seems.  Only managed Malmo for 2 seasons in recent times, expect a few Scandinavian signings.

He'll be as shit as OGS was for Cardiff and them down the road hopefully

3 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I wonder why it went that way there as he scored loads everywhere else. Mind you so did that Guivarch they signed!

Aye, they were both shockers over here.  Newcastle had another striker around that time too, Andreasson(?) who also couldn't hit a barn door.

BSA used to say players needed something extra to do well here as well as on the continent.  I'm sure physicality and heart must be factors.

26 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Aye, they were both shockers over here.  Newcastle had another striker around that time too, Andreasson(?) who also couldn't hit a barn door.

BSA used to say players needed something extra to do well here as well as on the continent.  I'm sure physicality and heart must be factors.

And yet another one Cordone that I remember for having his hair tied across his forehead, he was crap too. I suppose if you know you're always going to be second choice behind Shearer it doesn't start you off on the best foot.

PL was pretty strong across the board around those years though so it can't have been easy to come into for any players. Late 90s to mid 00s PL was ace. Probably quite biased saying that though 😃

42 minutes ago, Mantra said:

This will be the biggest stumbling block for us now getting Trafford back. 

Imagine Pope will be off to a Prem side so will need replacing, hopefully City send them the Portsmouth lad instead and keep Trafford at our level for another year. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Were Barnsley a long-ball outfit last year ? Coz the will be this year.

Not sure about last year but in 2020/21 under Valerian Ismael, when they got to the play offs, they were all about physicality, long throws, in your face football.  Obviously it worked for him there, and failed at WBA last season.  Last year Barnsley had an unknown Austrian upto November then an unknown (to me) Swedish-Iranian till April so who knows what style they ended up with!

16 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

This will be the biggest stumbling block for us now getting Trafford back. 

Imagine Pope will be off to a Prem side so will need replacing, hopefully City send them the Portsmouth lad instead and keep Trafford at our level for another year. 

They've got Peacock Farrell and Wayne Hennessey (assuming they're still under contract?).  If they don't want either of those I'd be happy for them to come here.

Trafford isn't going to be first choice in the championship at 19 surely, and no point going there to be 2nd or 3rd choice.

12 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Reckon Kompany flops. Burnley are on their way down 

He could be a poor manager but still get promoted, thanks to having a better team/budget than the others, potentially.  Scott Parker got  2 promotions in 3 seasons, does anyone know if he's the real deal or would anyone have got Fulham and Bournemouth up?  Can't be compared to the achievements of a Wilder or Cooper, but he'll probably get more plaudits if he succeeds, hopefully he doesn't.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

He could be a poor manager but still get promoted, thanks to having a better team/budget than the others, potentially.  Scott Parker got  2 promotions in 3 seasons, does anyone know if he's the real deal or would anyone have got Fulham and Bournemouth up?  Can't be compared to the achievements of a Wilder or Cooper, but he'll probably get more plaudits if he succeeds, hopefully he doesn't.

I don't rate Parker at all