Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Managerial Ins and Outs 2022-23

Johnnyrotten

13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That concourse is very uncomfortable.  The only other 2 that are as bad at biggish grounds in my experience is Everton and Villa - that was the worst/tiniest.  Out of interest, what difference should it make if its an away end?  If its full does it matter if its home or away fans?

Add Burnley to that.

18 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It was designed to be the home family stand so no expectation for people to be hanging around on the concourse boozing and instead straight in and straight out with pop and crisps, particularly as you can take your booze to the seats for rugby game so that was fairly irrelevant.

Even when Latics were first promoted to the Premier League, the plan was for away fans to retain the East Stand (scoreboard stand) complete with 7,000 allocation and fenced-off parking and dedicated coach route, and then yon mon stood up on stage on his non-broken leg and said he was ‘claiming back the East Stand’ even though it had been the away section from day one. 

Good info/knowledge.  In one of the earlier years of the stadium I worked with a WBA fan (he used to travel from Chester every game) and we went to Wigan v WBA one midweek when we had no game, obviously in the away end. (Geoff Horsfield scored the winner for Wigan).  There were about 4k in that away end in the East Stand with home fans behind both goals (not many of course).  Its struck me as odd that the best stand should be given to the away fans but also made sense to get as many of them in as possible to help half fill the ground.

Scott Parker binned at Bournemouth.

I know a 9-0 is a disaster but so early season, after getting them promoted and with next to no money spent on adding to the squad it seems a bit unreasonable. 

Personally I like to think it's due to those ludicrous jackets & cardigans with the four rings of masking tape on one sleeve.

1 minute ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I know a 9-0 is a disaster but so early season, after getting them promoted and with next to no money spent on adding to the squad it seems a bit unreasonable. 

Personally I like to think it's due to those ludicrous jackets & cardigans with the four rings of masking tape on one sleeve.

Silly decision

They're down regardless of who's manager

Liverpool was the worst team they could've faced last weekend after coming off the loss to united

Shouldn't be sacked off the back of that

20 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Yep. Was going to say it was harsh but thoroughly deserved for his sartorial choices alone.

• Moderators

He was going on after the Liverpool game, as he has all summer, that he's not being given the resources to compete and his squad isn't good enough 

Apparently the board have made it clear what their limits are so if he's going to moan on all season and talk the squad down, he may as well move on as manager and board are clearly not aligned 

Looks like Bournemouth are happy to be a yo yo club here on in 

Which is fine till they stay down 

1 hour ago, Mannyroader said:

Gary O'Neill interim manager. 

What a class act he was for us, on and off the pitch.  In no way is this a criticism of our current players, but I would love us to have a player like that now, who could do a bit of everything in midfield, including being captain material.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

He was going on after the Liverpool game, as he has all summer, that he's not being given the resources to compete and his squad isn't good enough 

Apparently the board have made it clear what their limits are so if he's going to moan on all season and talk the squad down, he may as well move on as manager and board are clearly not aligned 

Looks like Bournemouth are happy to be a yo yo club here on in 

Which is fine till they stay down 

Bob on.

The club has lost £100m in the last 3 years so why should the owner throw a load more money at a club that has 12k crowds?

He’s not been sacked because of the 9-0 defeat, he’s gone because he’s slagged off the owners and isn’t on board with the way that the club is being run.

And because he’s a weird fucker, too.

As much as the timing is ridiculous, the cracks were showing last season for Parker.  They had a great start (with a superb squad for the championship, that he mostly inherited) and then really made hard work of it, as he did at Fulham. 

He was getting some stick with some really poor results, failing to win home games against the likes of Coventry, PNE, Blackburn, Hull, Peterboro, Reading, Boro. Yes they got over the line in the end but looking from the outside where would they have been without Solanke's 29 league goals.

Another manager walking away with about 2 years salary in his pocket, ready for some media work before his next job.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Can’t quite pinpoint why but I don’t like Parker or Bournemouth for that matter. Shit night out.

I worked in Bournemouth for a while, used to do 1 or 2 days a week down there. Only had one or two proper nights down there and they were ok. 
Do not remember seeing anything football related in terms of shirts/fans etc ever. 

From a few comments I read on the article in the guardian it seems the fans are fairly happy he's gone and they reckon it seemed inevitable. 

One said "he even managed to make a promotion winning season feel like a chore". As has been said, I don't think th 9-0 was the reason for sacking, just the cherry on the cake. 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

I worked in Bournemouth for a while, used to do 1 or 2 days a week down there. Only had one or two proper nights down there and they were ok. 
Do not remember seeing anything football related in terms of shirts/fans etc ever. 

When I went I had to wrestle a club off some random bloke and talk him down from swinging at people. Best part of the night.

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Hill gone from Scunny the absolute feck wit.  Surely no one else will take a punt on this divisive charlatan ever again?

We said same about Coyle. He’s had a few jobs since he fucked us up.

32 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Hill gone from Scunny the absolute feck wit.  Surely no one else will take a punt on this divisive charlatan ever again?

Lost the last 5. 3 pts from 6. 23rd of 24.

I'd forgotton this lot, who gloried in kicking us while we were down, dropped into the Conference. Here's hoping they disappear from view.