Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Managerial Ins and Outs 2022-23

Johnnyrotten

3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I thought he might not last the week, but he didn't even get through the day.

His CV has took a battering from the lofty heights of a couple of years ago, a disastrous last season at Sheff U, 8 points from last 8 games last season to fail to get into play offs behind Luton, and left Boro in the bottom 3 after 2 wins in 11.  He had his pick of championship clubs not long ago, he might have to start again lower down now (after the obligatory few months as a TV pundit).

I've said before that I don't believe Wilder can recreate his Sheff Utd success anywhere else , it was just perfect conditions for him there 

1 hour ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Boro are only heading one way; they’re fucked financially, no idea what the deal is with Gibson or how their fans feel about him. 

They love him. They trust him. He avoids ludicrous spending ... &, more to the point, promising it, afyer a few daft years early on

They see themselves as one of 4 senior  Northern, Eastern clubs and get royally pissed at never getti g talked up the way Leeds, the Mackem's & the Barcodes do.

It really is their only beacon of light in a truly shitty town. Although the countryside round & about is decent the town is, in my experience, the worst large town in Britain.

4 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Always surprises me that we made the PL before Sunderland and Derby. 

On Wilder, I can’t believe he took that job in the first place. Could’ve held out for the Prem surely.

His stock is still fairly high and he can expect a Championship vacancy no problem.

Boro are only heading one way; they’re fucked financially, no idea what the deal is with Gibson or how their fans feel about him. 

Never had a chance of a Prem club for me, it would be a hard sell for any Prem team to unveil their new manager as one that has very recently finished bottom, and being English doesn't help. 

I agree he might still get a Championship club but he's probably gone from top of a lot of big clubs lists (WBA for eg) to having to go to a Millwall, Bristol C, Hull or Birmingham to prove himself again.  

2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think his success at Sheffield United was built on his overlapping centre-backs system, which I'm assuming has since been found out.

I love how Gethin joins the attack from RCB in our team. Doesn't do it too often either, seems to make very good decisions tactically.

Johnston on the other side tends to not overlap. He sometimes gets forward but will cross from deep and rarely gets to the byline like Gethin does. Our back 3 looks like a really solid unit. If we can keep them all fit for the season that will be a huge bonus.

17 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

They love him. They trust him. He avoids ludicrous spending ... &, more to the point, promising it, afyer a few daft years early on

They see themselves as one of 4 senior  Northern, Eastern clubs and get royally pissed at never getti g talked up the way Leeds, the Mackem's & the Barcodes do.

It really is their only beacon of light in a truly shitty town. Although the countryside round & about is decent the town is, in my experience, the worst large town in Britain.

I know a admittedly a few who don’t like him. When explained why to me it had a similar ring to the Eddie Davies scenario here.

40 minutes ago, tomski said:

I know a admittedly a few who don’t like him. When explained why to me it had a similar ring to the Eddie Davies scenario here.

I guess there'll always be a few but I've not met many who express the slightest doubts in my 20 years of going up there, staying in lovely Yarm and avoiding the town centre.

Their view of us was always amazement that we even exist given the number of clubs in our area. A lot of "why don't you merge with ... ?"

10 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Forest withdrawing contract offer to Cooper, and are lining up Benitez.

They're giving Cooper more time according to the BBC website.  They've brought in a sporting director so it sounds like just a matter of time.  Probably still in charge on Monday v Villa, hard to see both managers surviving that one.

On 14/09/2022 at 14:22, Johnnyrotten said:

Huddersfield have just lost 3 on the trot for the first time.

Maybe they'll get in a manager and not a coach this time, a pity it didn't happen before they played Wigan.

Huddersfield's new manager Mark Fotheringham is another who's never managed before, like Schofield, but decent coaching pedigree in Germany after a playing career in Scotland.  Maybe he'll get till end of season if he keeps them up but fans won't give managers they've never heard of much time to prove themselves, another risky appointment.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Cooper, at Forest, has just signed an extension until 2025. I'm stunned.

olympiacos have had 3 managers already this season, the portuguese guy from huddersfield (the middle one) lasted about 6 weeks. 

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Had a few clubs now steve Bruce, CBA looking but can think of 8 straight away 🤔

1998–1999    Sheffield United
1999–2000    Huddersfield Town
2001    Wigan Athletic
2001    Crystal Palace
2001–2007    Birmingham City
2007–2009    Wigan Athletic
2009–2011    Sunderland
2012–2016    Hull City
2016–2018    Aston Villa
2019    Sheffield Wednesday
2019–2021    Newcastle United
2022    West Bromwich Albion

56 minutes ago, Zico said:

2001    Wigan Athletic
2001    Crystal Palace
2009–2011    Sunderland
2012–2016    Hull City
2016–2018    Aston Villa

Thanks , 

Didn't know he had done Huddersfield and never knew he had been twice at wigan.

Had forgotten about his Hull city.

And his Sheff Wed passed me by to.

Wouldn't be a total shock if he showed up at Middlesbrough.

But their deluded big club fans wouldn't be happy.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

2001    Wigan Athletic
2001    Crystal Palace
2009–2011    Sunderland
2012–2016    Hull City
2016–2018    Aston Villa

Some effort to do...
both Sheffield clubs
Birmingham, Villa & Brom
Newcastle & Sunderland

1 hour ago, Whitestar said:

Didn't know he had done Huddersfield and never knew he had been twice at wigan.

Walked out on Sheff Utd as Huddersfield had new owners who were prepared to splash some cash, which is usually music to his ears

Signed his son a few times as well, who was also on the staff at West Brom