Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Managerial Ins and Outs 2022-23

Johnnyrotten

11 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Put comments on Emery's appointment in Todays Games. Drat.

Strange with Emery, he looked clueless and out of his depth at Arsenal, yet such a success in Spain and Paris.

Neil Critchley signed a 4 year extension at Blackpool a year ago and left after 6 months to assist Gerrard.  He's got an interesting career choice either waiting for Gerrard to get another job or putting his hat in the ring for all the championship etc vacancies, probably competing with Gerrard if he does .

7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Strange with Emery, he looked clueless and out of his depth at Arsenal, yet such a success in Spain and Paris.

Neil Critchley signed a 4 year extension at Blackpool a year ago and left after 6 months to assist Gerrard.  He's got an interesting career choice either waiting for Gerrard to get another job or putting his hat in the ring for all the championship etc vacancies, probably competing with Gerrard if he does .

It's hard not to be a success domestically at Paris, though Pocchetino did manage to not win the league with PSG

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

he turned down newcastle as well before they got howe

which I'm sure no one is arsed about up there right now

edit: just had a look, he did ok at Arsenal, got them 5th and in the europa final (an improvement on the previous season), then got sacked the following season after a poor run, 55% win percentage though

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Wouldn't bet against him ending back there.

27 minutes ago, Zico said:

he turned down newcastle as well before they got howe

which I'm sure no one is arsed about up there right now

edit: just had a look, he did ok at Arsenal, got them 5th and in the europa final (an improvement on the previous season), then got sacked the following season after a poor run, 55% win percentage though

Aye don’t think Arsenal was a failure as such. Always a big gig who come in after Wenger. To deliver what he did at Villarreal and Sevilla especially was sensational. He makes good players better rather than being an elite manager I’d say. Think it’s a great appointment.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tomski said:

Aye don’t think Arsenal was a failure as such. Always a big gig who come in after Wenger. To deliver what he did at Villarreal and Sevilla especially was sensational. He makes good players better rather than being an elite manager I’d say. Think it’s a great appointment.

aye, villa gave relatively inexperienced managers a go in Smith and Gerrard and it got them as far as 11th and a final, but mostly struggling

so now they need a manager who can take them to the next level (mid table medicroity), so a manager with experience in europe and getting to (and winning) finals is probably a good chioce, as he's certainly next level compared to the last two

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Stoke.

Their fans never accepted a manager without a notable background. He got dog's abuse from the moment he arrived.

And unclear whether the problem was Jones or Stoke. 

Since Pulis, they've had Mark Hughes, Paul Lambert, Gary Rowett, Nathan Jones, Michael O'Neill, Alex Neil.  Every one of those seems to have made the team worse.  Surely they aren't all poor managers that can only succeed at one club?

7 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

A brave appointment by Southampton  - Nathan Jones ( Luton Town ) replacing Ralph Hasenhuttl 

Be good to see a young British Manager who has only managed in the lower leagues to date succeed at this level. 

It depends what defines "success" for Southampton.  They probably won't win a cup or trouble the top 8, they'll be looking over their shoulders at best like a Palace or Everton.  Then there will be a time when they're bottom 6 and lose 3 on the trot and everyone says "Jones isn't a Premiership manager".  Not saying he is or isn't, but I'll be amazed if their fans don't turn against him at some point in next 12 months.  Brighton fans were trying to get Potter out last season, if you're not top 8 in the Prem you're 3 results from big pressure if you aren't a "name".

25 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It depends what defines "success" for Southampton.  They probably won't win a cup or trouble the top 8, they'll be looking over their shoulders at best like a Palace or Everton.  Then there will be a time when they're bottom 6 and lose 3 on the trot and everyone says "Jones isn't a Premiership manager".  Not saying he is or isn't, but I'll be amazed if their fans don't turn against him at some point in next 12 months.  Brighton fans were trying to get Potter out last season, if you're not top 8 in the Prem you're 3 results from big pressure if you aren't a "name".

I dont disagree

I would have thought that with his appointment finishing 17th will be regarded as success by many of their fanbase who must surely be  underwhelmed by his appointment

More the sort of appointment you would expect when you are 10 points from safety with 12 games left and planning for life in the Championship 

57 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

I dont disagree

I would have thought that with his appointment finishing 17th will be regarded as success by many of their fanbase who must surely be  underwhelmed by his appointment

More the sort of appointment you would expect when you are 10 points from safety with 12 games left and planning for life in the Championship 

Yes, its one of those where if they do go down Jones would probably be a great bet to get them back up, but it depends if the fans "turn" in the meantime.  Hopefully, from the point of view of rewarding good British championship managers, he does a good job and gets them well clear of the bottom 3, otherwise its probably back to bringing in another from overseas, or another unproven big name like Lampard/Gerrard/Carrick.