Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Managerial Ins and Outs 2022-23

Johnnyrotten

2 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

His records not great at Colchester is not great won 9, drawn 5, lost 13, hope he keeps that record up at Wycombe

Did get MOM for January, they broke a club record of 5 consecutive away wins, I made some cash off their 5th one at Grimsby when I realised the run they were on wasn't reflected in the odds!  I tried it again for Carlisle on Sat, no such luck!  Matt Bloomfield played nearly 500 games for Wycombe over 19 years, safe to say he's a club legend.

2 hours ago, little whitt said:

Oxford Sack Karl Robinson 

After 5 years 

7 defeats in the last 8 games. Including yesterday's 0-3 at home to Brizzle R. Not great.

Now 17th & 5 points from the drop having entered December looking at the playoffs.

All that said, he's a decent manager & gets a tune wherever he goes. I guess Oxford see themselves a having backed him  spending a lot for them & view their rightful place as 2nd tier. Deluded knobs.

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

7 defeats in the last 8 games. Including yesterday's 0-3 at home to Brizzle R. Not great.

Now 17th & 5 points from the drop having entered December looking at the playoffs.

All that said, he's a decent manager & gets a tune wherever he goes. I guess Oxford see themselves a having backed him  spending a lot for them & view their rightful place as 2nd tier. Deluded knobs.

Evatt now 13th longest serving manager

I suspect Graham Potter is in trouble and it's an absolute quandary as to why Chelsea are struggling so badly. Potter is a decent manager with a great record. He has loads of great players to pick from. Why he can't get a tune out of them is beyond me. Spurs today will have hurt.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Wanderlust said:

I suspect Graham Potter is in trouble and it's an absolute quandary as to why Chelsea are struggling so badly. Potter is a decent manager with a great record. He has loads of great players to pick from. Why he can't get a tune out of them is beyond me. Spurs today will have hurt.

Think potter might have be a case of right man at the right time for Brighton 

He's never won anything of note bar some low level Swedish leagues 

As Chelsea managers go, he's probably the least experienced/successful they've appointed in a long time 

6 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Why he can't get a tune out of them is beyond me. Spurs today will have hurt.

I suspect two squad issues.

1. Those there in August weren't his players.

2. The massive rush in the January window were given to him but without his involvement. 

Added to that he has no international, big name pedigree & a lot of this squad will have little respect for him.

Most unfair, but the players aren't turning out for him.

Case in point is this from Stelios about manging big personalities.

Stelios Giannakopoulos has branded Gary Megson's Bolton tenure 'a mistake', as well as heavily criticising the former boss over the handling of the Greek's departure.

Giannakopoulos joined Wanderers on a free transfer from Olympiacos in the summer of 2003 and went on to enjoy five seasons at the Reebok Stadium, scoring 28 goals in 177 appearances - during which time he turned out in a Carling Cup final and was also part of the Greece squad which won the UEFA European Championships in 2004.

150 of his outings for the Trotters came under Sam Allardyce, with four to follow under his successor, Sammy Lee, and a further 22 - of which only seven were starts - under the aforementioned Megson.

Stelios, as he was affectionately known by Whites supporters, believes is was no surprise the club struggled post-Allardyce and while he stopped short of saying Lee's appointment was a mistake, the 48-year-old wasn't quite so complimentary about Megson.

"I think some mistakes were made," Giannakopoulos told the Fore Four 2 podcast.

"Sammy Lee was not a mistake. Gary Megson was a mistake.

"It was a mistake because you can understand from the numbers and the way he was treating the dressing room.

"I don't want to say publicly what happened with me because it's not my character but he was not the calibre of manager that this club wanted. The club was too big for him.

"He had to handle big personalities and I think he couldn't. You need to be talented to handle this type of dressing room.

"It's not only the coaching. It's mental coaching and man-to-man management that you need to have at the top.

"Football is the same. It doesn't change. You need a ball, 11 versus 11, offsides, throw-ins, goal-kicks - they're all the same.

"The difference is how you man manage the personalities in the dressing room. This is what makes the difference.

"Pep (Guardiola), Jurgen (Klopp), (Mikel) Arteta, Sir Alex (Ferguson) and all these big managers. The man-to-man management, this is the talent that they have. Big Sam was the king of this.

"There are some things that happened in private which are not for public mention, but it makes me understand why he wasn't a success."

Having started just seven of the 26 games he featured in during his final campaign at Bolton, Stelios, who ultimately played a key role in the club's Premier League survival that year, was released at the end of his contract.

Brief spells with Hull City and Greek side Larissa would follow before he stepped into retirement.

Looking back at his departure from Wanderers, Stelios was full of regret for the way it was handled and criticised Megson for hiding behind paperwork rather than dealing with the issue in person.

"It's not a secret," he said. "He sent a letter to my house.

"We were at the training ground every day but he sent me a letter to say goodbye. This is the only thing I can say in public.

"To any player, you cannot do that. You have the player everyday face to face. Be a man and say it face to face: 'Thank you very much but I will not need you next season. Thanks for everything.'

"Say something but not with a letter.

"It said: 'The door of Bolton Wanderers will be open for you forever.'

"Who are you to say that? Bolton Wanderers is in my heart.

"I think it was one of the last days of the season and I don't think I had the opportunity to see him again face to face.

"I didn't have the opportunity to go face to face and ask him why he sent a letter and didn't tell me face to face."

2 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Case in point is this from Stelios about manging big personalities.

Stelios Giannakopoulos has branded Gary Megson's Bolton tenure 'a mistake', as well as heavily criticising the former boss over the handling of the Greek's departure .....

Good for Stelios.

I assume he doesn't lay into Sammy Lee because he self evidently didn't succeed, but didn't create Holy Hell when he left. The site of that red-headed fuck-wit sitting on all those football shows being sympathised with by the bullshitting wankers compering them had me wanting to kick the TV in.

Him whinging that we were preventing him getting new jobs because we were contracted to pay him monthly for 12 months. So he hung out for his free dosh rather than take another job, whilst complaining about it. Tosser.

Players xareers end, that's a fact. There is no reason to act like that with them because he's a socially inept twat.

Telling the fans they knew nothing because we'd not played the game. Arrogant prick.

Did I say "tosser" in any of that ? Hope so.

43 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Good for Stelios.

I assume he doesn't lay into Sammy Lee because he self evidently didn't succeed, but didn't create Holy Hell when he left. The site of that red-headed fuck-wit sitting on all those football shows being sympathised with by the bullshitting wankers compering them had me wanting to kick the TV in.

Him whinging that we were preventing him getting new jobs because we were contracted to pay him monthly for 12 months. So he hung out for his free dosh rather than take another job, whilst complaining about it. Tosser.

Players xareers end, that's a fact. There is no reason to act like that with them because he's a socially inept twat.

Telling the fans they knew nothing because we'd not played the game. Arrogant prick.

Gary Megson reckons XG is mumbo jumbo. ITK. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Lampard?

Accepting the obvious connections to the club. 

Forgot about him 

Second most then 

A club that wants to win everything should really appoint a manager with experience of winning things

19 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Even he has to get some fckg thing right.

Belting response sir 👏 

I bumped into him at a garden centre t'other week he said:

"Your not telling me Bolton are using that XG shite that all those fancy dan tippy tippy managers use these days? Who do they think they are? Real Ma-Fucking-Drid? Using that shite at Bolton is like putting a tiara on a shirehorse. You don't sign the likes of Johan Elmander, Zat Knight, Danny Shittu and Paul Robinson using all that numbers shite." 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

Potter strikes me as more of a 'project' manager in a similar vein to Evatt

Long-term he will probably be successful but given the cutthroat nature of top-league football he will be gone soon. 

What he achieved at Ostersund and Brighton was remarkable and he deserved the chance, but his style is probably better suited to a club where he can gradually improve season upon season

8 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Potter strikes me as more of a 'project' manager in a similar vein to Evatt

Long-term he will probably be successful but given the cutthroat nature of top-league football he will be gone soon. 

What he achieved at Ostersund and Brighton was remarkable and he deserved the chance, but his style is probably better suited to a club where he can gradually improve season upon season

Will be interesting to see where he ends up after Chelsea.  He's a proven Prem manager but its hard to see a Prem team taking him next, probably back to the championship at a Southampton or Bournemouth next season.  Or back to Swansea (Russell Martin won't last till the summer surely).

He has almost 30 internationals in training but I don't see him as the kind of guy who will try to keep everyone sweet. That said he's rotated a fair bit and he must surely cut back on the squad in the summer (if he's still around) sign a proper striker (Aubameyang ain't what he was) and get some leaders on the pitch so maybe this rotation is to decide who to keep?

3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Will be interesting to see where he ends up after Chelsea.  He's a proven Prem manager but its hard to see a Prem team taking him next, probably back to the championship at a Southampton or Bournemouth next season.  Or back to Swansea (Russell Martin won't last till the summer surely).

Southampton would be a good fit, ex-player too, came off the bench in that famous 6-3 win against United at the Dell

• Moderators
11 hours ago, jmjhb said:

Southampton would be a good fit, ex-player too, came off the bench in that famous 6-3 win against United at the Dell

looking at wiki on who he played for and when, we must have come up against him more than once in the 90s (Brum, Stoke, West Brom), but I have zero recollection of him as a player

• Moderators

Luis Enrique and Zinedine Zidane 'are in the running to become Chelsea boss if Graham Potter is sacked' with pressure on the under-fire head coach intensifying amid a disastrous run of ONE win in 11 matches

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11811109/Luis-Enrique-Zinedine-Zidane-running-Chelsea-boss-Graham-Potter-sacked.html

might as well just sack him now and bring in Zidane if he fancies the job

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Luis Enrique and Zinedine Zidane 'are in the running to become Chelsea boss if Graham Potter is sacked' with pressure on the under-fire head coach intensifying amid a disastrous run of ONE win in 11 matches

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11811109/Luis-Enrique-Zinedine-Zidane-running-Chelsea-boss-Graham-Potter-sacked.html

might as well just sack him now and bring in Zidane if he fancies the job

And tell Enrique he's the next cab off the rank, probably in June.

On 26/02/2023 at 20:05, Dr. Feelgood said:

Good for Stelios.

This! I couldn't stand the arrogant tosser then, and I cannot stand him now. I've always said that every club should have him for a season, just to appreciate his ineptitude and ignorance.

And breathe.