Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Away prices

marple whites

Only happening in the Premier League because they can afford not to do it (while charging a fortune for home tickets and season tickets at the same time).

I think we’re very lucky to have season tickets as well priced as they are and that helps offset the high priced away tickets, but really the FA, Premier League and EFL should all be getting their heads together to see how it can be made more affordable for people to attend games at all levels. 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Also stewards going to away games 

4 hours ago, embankment said:

Does this happen?

We often see our stewards at local aways.  Wigan,  Blackburn,  etc.

Not seen them further afield. 

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Think at @Leyther_Matt has nailed this. No chance

True.

Lower league clubs rely on ticket sales far more than PL clubs do.
And we'll moan everytime we pay over the odds away at a club that can't accommodate all the demand, but these smaller clubs need these paydays.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, MickyD said:

We often see our stewards at local aways.  Wigan,  Blackburn,  etc.

Not seen them further afield. 

We had a young female steward (*) in our corner one match who said the company that employs her sends stewards to all our local grounds. She said she came from Macc herself.

* - I don't know, she had a big hi-viz jacket on.

12 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

We had a young female steward (*) in our corner one match who said the company that employs her sends stewards to all our local grounds. She said she came from Macc herself.

* - I don't know, she had a big hi-viz jacket on.

That’s even more common now that  stadiums are becoming ever more reliant on agencies for stewarding. Each club/stadium does tend to have a bank of their own stewards though and we’ve certainly sent them to away games previously, including Europe IIRC?

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

That’s even more common now that  stadiums are becoming ever more reliant on agencies for stewarding. Each club/stadium does tend to have a bank of their own stewards though and we’ve certainly sent them to away games previously, including Europe IIRC?

That's right. She told me that after the football has finished she was on rugby, then festivals so I wouldn't be surprised.

Wonder if it's free festivals and aways that is the stewards draw, or the free clip on ties.

2 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

That's right. She told me that after the football has finished she was on rugby, then festivals so I wouldn't be surprised.

Wonder if it's free festivals and aways that is the stewards draw, or the free clip on ties.

Probably the nearest thing that you can get to guaranteed work while on a zero hours contract

• Site Supporter

The ones they got second half of the season who created the barrier between WSL and away fans were next to fucking useless. 16-18 year olds asked to prevent any issues escalating. 

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Probably the nearest thing that you can get to guaranteed work while on a zero hours contract

It's not really work standing next to me for 20 minutes, but we said she had been in Crazy Corner for the Wigan match.

She got posted in our corner for a bit of R&R I think.

Can see a lot of people cutting down with the cost of living crisis.

Plus there's not many local away games. Not sure it'd be worth all the admin and hassle for 2 or 3 games.

Guess demand will also depend on how were doing though. 

On 13/06/2022 at 11:14, Francis Fogarty said:

Lady who used to work in the Spar near work , went to work for a company called Showsec , she stewarded forest, Cardiff , went to festivals, big arena concerts . I've seen Showsec at Derby county and I think Rotherham . She also did bouncer work in  nottm . Properly trained first aid etc. She did the thin yellow line at the city ground separating derby fans from forest . Said she loved the banter .

On away stewards , I chatted to some MK dons stewards outside the away entrance at the unibol , they had official MK dons jackets etc.