Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers abroad

bolty58

• Members

Wasn't sure which one to put this in.

Out for the evening power walk along the southern Spanish coast and pass a couple of lads and thought 'hang on a minute, I recognise these two'. 

Stopped and said 'Ow do'. Twin brothers who I remembered way back from the Lever End days. The T twins. I am sure some on here will know them (or of them).

Goes without saying a good chat about BWFC past, present and future. Even the subject of LA White came up.

14 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Wasn't sure which one to put this in.

Out for the evening power walk along the southern Spanish coast and pass a couple of lads and thought 'hang on a minute, I recognise these two'. 

Stopped and said 'Ow do'. Twin brothers who I remembered way back from the Lever End days. The T twins. I am sure some on here will know them (or of them).

Goes without saying a good chat about BWFC past, present and future. Even the subject of LA White came up.

are we talking about M + L from Tonge Moor, If so went to junior school with them ..

• Members
3 hours ago, bwfcuk said:

are we talking about M + L from Tonge Moor, If so went to junior school with them ..

No mate, I'm a Tonge Moor lad meself. Think these lads are more out towards Atherton but could be wrong. S & B.

Bolton Holidays in Tenerife was great for spot the Bolton Shirt.

Mad to think, we'd bowl over to anyone and vise versa and strike up a conversation at the first sign of Bolton. Supermarkets, bars or just in street would always stop and talk. 

Some are still friends to this day we met out there.

Something bigger club fans would never get.

19 minutes ago, Ani said:

It was not till we got a bit older that I realised that everywhere was full of Bolton folk as we typically went away at Bolton holidays. 

Crazy how town basically shut down for two weeks. 

We never went anywhere during Bolton holidays as my Dad was working at Cadishead Secondary, I just remeber it being shit, no kids TV as no one else was off and having to watch loads of Wimbledon as nothing else was on. Then back to school for three weeks, whilst everyone else finished.

Was glad when they changed it, bit slow off the mark considering we didn't have any mills to maintain by the mid-90s

I had a weird one last year in Spain, was at a bar with the family and some lad came up to me and said he recognised my voice and had I done a BWFC podcast in the past. Ended up spending an hour with him over a few pints talking football. Can't remember his name now but that's the power of this club 👍

• Moderators
1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

I hate chatty folk on holiday nothing worse make no difference if they support bwfc

but I’m a miserable fucker 

Me too 

Said it but met a wanderer in Sydney zoo, he was wearing a top so i had to say something 

Wish i hadn't, he was a right prick 

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Must just be me. Dickhead or otherwise, being so far away from home, meeting a fellow Boltoner really means something.

Bolton til I die.

I was wearing my Wanderers top in Whyalla, SA and someone walked up  staring at me, and shaking his head. Thought he was going to hit me or something but eventually outstretched a hand. A Boltonian on holiday from Adelaide, we were shit at the time, early days of Evatt hence the head shaking I think.

Another time in Cairns, was checking into a motel, and the fella points out my top, turns out his Great Grandad was Mayor of Bolton in the 30s. He actually supported Spurs but had been to the Reebok. 

2 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

I was wearing my Wanderers top in Whyalla, SA and someone walked up  staring at me, and shaking his head. Thought he was going to hit me or something but eventually outstretched a hand. A Boltonian on holiday from Adelaide, we were shit at the time, early days of Evatt hence the head shaking I think.

Another time in Cairns, was checking into a motel, and the fella points out my top, turns out his Great Grandad was Mayor of Bolton in the 30s. He actually supported Spurs but had been to the Reebok. 

To see Spurs Lose?

I can never resist a quick "come on you Whites" whenever passing someone in a Bolton top when we're away. Rarely stand and chat though unless (no disrespect intended) it's someone a bit older who might want a chat. We did also get a load of free pints in a bar in C'an Picafort one year because the owner was originally from Halliwell.

If I'm sat around a hotel bar then I don't mind a bit of football talk (don't even necessarily need to be wearing colours if there happens to be a game on in the background etc).

Watching the Euros a few years ago in a hotel that had a LOT of French/Belgians/Germans/Russians was an absolutely fascinating experience as to how people watched the games etc

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I can never resist a quick "come on you Whites" whenever passing someone in a Bolton top when we're away. Rarely stand and chat though unless (no disrespect intended) it's someone a bit older who might want a chat. We did also get a load of free pints in a bar in C'an Picafort one year because the owner was originally from Halliwell.

If I'm sat around a hotel bar then I don't mind a bit of football talk (don't even necessarily need to be wearing colours if there happens to be a game on in the background etc).

Watching the Euros a few years ago in a hotel that had a LOT of French/Belgians/Germans/Russians was an absolutely fascinating experience as to how people watched the games etc

I was driving through Warrington couple of weeks back when saw bloke wearing a Bolton top on the A49 couldn't resist shouting White Army out of the car window, don't think he heard me but the 2 women he was with did and glared back, wonder what they thought I had shouted.   

• Members
17 hours ago, Zico said:

Me too 

Said it but met a wanderer in Sydney zoo, he was wearing a top so i had to say something 

Wish i hadn't, he was a right prick 

I couldn't hold it in any longer. On the day you said you thought I was a top lad.

Last time I buy you half a dozen pints or so you fucking ingrate.

On 13/06/2022 at 14:13, bolty58 said:

No mate, I'm a Tonge Moor lad meself. Think these lads are more out towards Atherton but could be wrong. S & B.

Yes I know them. Started my apprenticeship with them at Metal Box. Been all over the country with them watching the Whites over the years. Good lads. 

• Members
2 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Yes I know them. Started my apprenticeship with them at Metal Box. Been all over the country with them watching the Whites over the years. Good lads. 

What's bugging me is who I knew (other than your good self) who also knew them. SW, the LA White for one. Think another may have been the son of a former club secretary. Not asked him yet.

Walked off the complex in the Dominican Republic , for about a mile along the beach . There was a group.of huts on stilts general market stalls found a very small bar , BWFC were on tele .

2 mins later dad and lad walk in with Wanderers tops on. 

Watched the match surrounded by disinterested locals , who were watching cricket on their phones .

With hindsight it was just like a Sunday afternoon in the Raven in Wigan.

Locals more interested in a different ball game.