Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gudni Bergsson

Cheese

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Gudni is a great person and was such a fantastic leader for Bolton. My all time favourite as well.

I bumped into him in JJB Sports (I think it was at the time?) on Middlebrook the day before the Preston Play-Off Final. I was 18 at the time, but felt like a 10 year old meeting his hero. He signed a copy of the Bolton News for me and shook my hand when I wished him luck, told me to have a safe journey to Cardiff and enjoy the game. I'll never forget it. 😍

41 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I bumped into him in JJB Sports (I think it was at the time?) on Middlebrook the day before the Preston Play-Off Final. I was 18 at the time, but felt like a 10 year old meeting his hero. He signed a copy of the Bolton News for me and shook my hand when I wished him luck, told me to have a safe journey to Cardiff and enjoy the game. I'll never forget it. 😍

I’m a bit older than you but I’d have been the same. He is a top bloke👍

I don't normally approach players however I spoke to Gudni when were on Denmark tour years back under Allardyce think we had just failed in play offs either watford or ipswich and lost loads of players, squad was down to bare bones, he was out injured but what a great fella, took time to talk and no edge at all,  superb pro and a warrior of a player. Defo a legend and in my top 5 BWFC Heroes.  

As far as players go, he’s as near as we’ll ever have as fans to have seen the changes at the club during the 90s and 2000s.

Mind boggling to think he was signed by Ricoh at Burnden, training with Mark Seagraves, Aidan Davison, Shilton even, and finishes his career under Allardyce at the Reebok playing alongside Okocha, Djorkaeff and, erm, Simon Charlton. Mad really. 

Edited by Leyther_Matt

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As far as players go, he’s as near as we’ll ever have as fans to have seen the changes at the club during the 90s and 2000s.

Mind boggling to think he was signed by Ricoh at Burnden, training with Mark Seagraves, Aidan Davison, Shilton even, and finishes his career under Allardyce at the Reebok playing alongside Okocha, Djorkaeff and, erm, Simon Charlton. Mad really. 

he played alongside GAZZA for years 

As a birthday treat I stayed in the Whites Hotel after we beat Middlesbrough to stay up. it was Gudni's last game for us and he spent the evening having a meal in the hotel with his wife, which really touched me. Anyway when he was making his way out I plucked up the courage to go over and I thanked him for all that he'd done for BWFC and to wish him every success back in Iceland; he shook my hand, looked me in the eye, thanked me and said he'd loved every minute playing for us. Utter class that fella.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

The goal that stands out for me was at WBA got us back into it 

Was just about to post the same, probably his most important goal for us

2 hours ago, Steejay said:

One of the most memorable goals ever at the Reebok.

I can see it now like it was yesterday.

Took me years of hunting through BWFC DVDs to get the footage so the first thing I did was get it on YouTube. I really can’t understand how the late 90s are such a black hole of archive footage. 

52 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Took me years of hunting through BWFC DVDs to get the footage so the first thing I did was get it on YouTube. I really can’t understand how the late 90s are such a black hole of archive footage. 

And the stuff that does surface is usually pretty poor quality as well, the picture quality on the clips from last couple of Burnden seasons is often better than 98-00 era!

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

And the stuff that does surface is usually pretty poor quality as well, the picture quality on the clips from last couple of Burnden seasons is often better than 98-00 era!

Moody dvds and dodgy streams at the flying flute will do that. 

There's not the hard core 80s mob willing to hunt down decent original videos. 

It's just Keith who now supports city's random videos off his iPhone 2. 

15 hours ago, Marc505 said:

13 hours ago, stevieb said:

Moody dvds and dodgy streams at the flying flute will do that. 

There's not the hard core 80s mob willing to hunt down decent original videos. 

It's just Keith who now supports city's random videos off his iPhone 2. 

I uploaded the Bergsson goal direct from the DVD and it’s still shite quality. 

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Haha only just noticed it's your video!