Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Seasons Fixtures

gonzo

31 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Was coming out about £180 with railcards for me and junior tho.  But I ant doing 10 hours on a train with 6 changes going the Leeds way.

What’s the cheapest you’ve found for the London route ?

I'm struggling, so far, the best i can get via London is 110 pounds, pre any card

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Does manc not do flights into Norwich anymore? 

Fly maybe put paid to that 

Dunno but norwich to Ipswich is something like 40 miles so it'd be like flying to Stansted to go to Cambridge away 

6 hours ago, marple whites said:

Was coming out about £180 with railcards for me and junior tho.  But I ant doing 10 hours on a train with 6 changes going the Leeds way.

What’s the cheapest you’ve found for the London route ?

£86 mate, giving it another look today and getting boxed off 

• Members
6 hours ago, mickbrown said:

You seem to be spending an awfully long time in this hemisphere.

Have you retired?

I expect to retire today at around 23:00hrs.

A very personal question but as we are such great mates :roll:

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Congratulations pal. 

My dad retired last year and he's had a fucking great year doing next to fuck all and if he needs to do jobs around the house he does it at his own pace... 

He's redone the whole house. Can't settle into doing fuck all after grafting since he was 15. 

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I "retire" in two weeks time on my 66th birthday but have agreed to stay on for a couple of years, reduced hours etc etc, to train and help the poor fkkr who will take over my empire 

Good luck pal

• Members
13 hours ago, Dimron said:

I "retire" in two weeks time on my 66th birthday but have agreed to stay on for a couple of years, reduced hours etc etc, to train and help the poor fkkr who will take over my empire 

Good luck pal

Same to you mate and, coincidentally, a very similar story (re the succession plan).

On 23/06/2022 at 19:14, MalcolmW said:

Pre-computer days were more interesting.

I studied the Division One 1908-09 season ( even though we were in Div Two).

Each of the 20 clubs were given Saturday fixtures home and away against 16 opponents and left to arrange the matches with the other 3 clubs.

Newcastle (eventual champions) began with 3 home games, placing one on the first Wednesday of September (the football season was strictly only months with an R in), and bringing forward one from FA Cup second round date (by agreement of Bristol City) to the next Wednesday. 

Manchester United opted for the money option, playing home matches on Boxing Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday, (with away matches on Christmas Day, Easter Monday and Easter Tuesday).

The Wednesday went for a fan friendly Christmas period, with their scheduled home match against Bury on 19 December followed by Sheffield United away on Christmas Day, with the home reverse fixture on Boxing Day, then Arsenal home on Bank Holiday Monday 28th December, and home to Leicester Fosse on New Year's Day before a scheduled home against Aston Villa on Saturday 2nd January.

Hi Malcolm 

Am quite well read on football in this era , and had never seen this before 

As i understood it from 1898 onwards when the League was increased to 18 clubs the Football League adopted something called the "Fletcher System" to set the fixtures so as to avoid having clubs from the same City being at home on the same day ( Nottingham Sheffield, Liverpool & Manchester etc  ) and to give individual clubs the opportunity of maximising gate receipts and keep a regular income coming in. 

The thought that clubs set their own fixtures was news to me

I thought maybe 1908 was a one off , but having had a quick look, the Football League met at the end of May and the full fixtures were then published a couple of days later. All the fixtures you mention as being determined by the clubs cannot possibly be correct - they were all set by the League. You can see below the fixtures for the Christmas / New Year period, as published in early June.(extract below)

There were no fan friendly or money options - the fixtures were the fixtures ?  Unless you can enlighten me 

qexfuBD.jpg

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Same to you mate and, coincidentally, a very similar story (re the succession plan).

What are you going to do with the extra time? The nearer it gets the more I'm dreading it... I'm on 4 days at the moment going down to 3 after the summer works. Wife was ready to stab me with the scissors on my day off last week, I'm going to end up going out like i'm off to work and sitting in a cafe somewhere making a cup of tea last for 3 hours 🙂