Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

L1 Predictions 2022/23

Farrelli

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Zico said:

Wonder what other teams fans think of our prospects  

Someone with a history in delving into rival forums needs to take a look

Just join a couple of the many EFL1 Facebook groups. Morecambe really don’t like us. 

On 28/06/2022 at 09:50, Zico said:

Wonder what other teams fans think of our prospects  

Someone with a history in delving into rival forums needs to take a look

On Ipswich forum they took exception to their manager calling us "high level " opponent after fixtures came out. Five or six of them saying its only Bolton , they are shit,  nothing high level etc. Then the Wurzel with a brain cell came along and said " to all those comments above Bolton pumped us twice last season"

Also seen two "super computer" predictions first had us finishing 9th the other 6th. All bollocks of course 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Max Cherry said:

On Ipswich forum they took exception to their manager calling us "high level " opponent after fixtures came out. Five or six of them saying its only Bolton , they are shit,  nothing high level etc. Then the Wurzel with a brain cell came along and said " to all those comments above Bolton pumped us twice last season"

Also seen two "super computer" predictions first had us finishing 9th the other 6th. All bollocks of course 

I recall last season Ipswich thinking not only were their starting xi the best in league but also their second xi

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Nobody mentions us when our league comes up on talksport.

That'll do nicely, keep things under the radar. Surely Mr Evatt won't proclaim us to be the best team in the league this year either unless we end up like Toddy's 97 team

18 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I dont know enough about Ipswich that warrants their plaudits?

Have they been massively backed or summet? 

Cant even name a player. Every fucker has them favorites.

I agree Gonzo, they look nothing special to me and from their boards they’re split on even what system their new manager will play but unless they make more forward signings they seem doubtful about where the goals will come from. Don’t fear Derby at all, too many oldies and Barnsley have lost, or are losing, several of their best players and several of their fans are forecasting a “consolidating” season. I think we’ll be reet if the players just believe in themselves. Wednesday to win the league for me but nothing other than them that I can see to stop us being second.

2 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I agree Gonzo, they look nothing special to me and from their boards they’re split on even what system their new manager will play but unless they make more forward signings they seem doubtful about where the goals will come from. Don’t fear Derby at all, too many oldies and Barnsley have lost, or are losing, several of their best players and several of their fans are forecasting a “consolidating” season. I think we’ll be reet if the players just believe in themselves. Wednesday to win the league for me but nothing other than them that I can see to stop us being second.

Oh no🙈

6 hours ago, gonzo said:

Their signings: Apparently paid £1mil for Leif Davis, a left back from Leeds who was on loan at Bournemouth last season.  Marcus Harness from Pompey for about £0.5mil (plenty of "he looks decent" comments on here when we played them).  Freddie Ladapo from Rotherham who scores goals in league 1.  Dominic Ball from QPR who seems to have a decent CV.  Greg Leigh, another left back, after he was released by Morecambe.  Most of us wouldn't know these lot if we saw them in Tesco but they seem to have decent pedigree.  But who knows, certainly not the bookies.  And they've lost the scoring potential of James Norwood and Bersant Celina.

13 hours ago, gonzo said:

Just spent a million on a defender from Leeds, most expensive ever at this level some claim. They seem to be on an upward curve with a decent new young manager like us. Unlike us they have the financial clout. So revising my pre season predictions based on clubs business (or lack of it). Going for Ipswich & Peterborough to be promoted. Us, Derby, Weds, & MK for play offs. Think Weds have strongest squad but don't rate Darren Moore otherwise they'd be up.

Forest Green, Exeter, Morecambe & Cheltenham to drop.

• Site Supporter

Derby will suffer when Sat-Tues-Sat fixtures kick in, their old men won’t cope.

For me, the big thing has to be beating teams we really should be beating. The top teams will all take loads of points of each other so no 2 draws against Morecambe, 1 point against Burton and losing at Fleetwood etc

16 hours ago, gonzo said:

They have made some decent signings for a club at this level but

A lot of the shout outs and backing for them is based on the appointment of Kieran Mckenna as their Manager 

A lot of talk already of him having the quality to make it in the Premier League

Some of that may be media hype given his high profile background.

As a player ( Irish League and Tottenham ) whose career was cut short by injury he has already managed Tottenham and Man U at under 18s , and was then promoted to assistant to Jose Mourinho at Man U , a position he held for 3 years.

However, to be fair to the guy  he does seem to be doing a decent job at Ipswich. Following his appointment they had a good second half of the season,  similar to ourselves, but one stat that caught my eye was that following his appointment they conceded just 13 goals in 24 games .

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

They have made some decent signings for a club at this level but

A lot of the shout outs and backing for them is based on the appointment of Kieran Mckenna as their Manager 

A lot of talk already of him having the quality to make it in the Premier League

Some of that may be media hype given his high profile background.

As a player ( Irish League and Tottenham ) whose career was cut short by injury he has already managed Tottenham and Man U at under 18s , and was then promoted to assistant to Jose Mourinho at Man U , a position he held for 3 years.

However, to be fair to the guy  he does seem to be doing a decent job at Ipswich. Following his appointment they had a good second half of the season,  similar to ourselves, but one stat that caught my eye was that following his appointment they conceded just 13 goals in 24 games .

2 of them were at ours.👏

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

They were unlucky that day I felt.  Dominated possession but were undone by Dapo. Again.

Tough day tomorrow and I'd be delighted with a point.

See, IMO that’s bollocks that we were lucky.

Just because, for once, the opposition had more possession than us.
They played it around in midfield but didn’t make any chances and we were comfortable, then hit them to win the game.

We had more possession against Rotherham, Wycombe, Burton etc but they all did a job on us.

Lucky? Pfft…

3 hours ago, Steejay said:

See, IMO that’s bollocks that we were lucky.

Just because, for once, the opposition had more possession than us.
They played it around in midfield but didn’t make any chances and we were comfortable, then hit them to win the game.

We had more possession against Rotherham, Wycombe, Burton etc but they all did a job on us.

Lucky? Pfft…

I didn't say we were lucky...

• 2 months later...

Interesting to read some of this thread through again to see how it compares to the table after 2 months.

Loads expected Sheff Wed and Ipswich to be top 2.  Clearly Plymouth are the current over achievers but most of us had them in the top half and there isn't one surprise in the top 8.  Its already looking like last season when you had to win just to maintain your current position.  Only good away wins or home games beating a top 8 team will feel like real progress. 

Accy, Cambridge and Exeter over achieving and the clear under achievers/surprise strugglers are Wycombe, Oxford & MKD.  I still expect Wycombe to recover but not so sure about the other 2.  Nobody mentioned Burton for the drop but the other 3 were expected to struggle, I suspect Port Vale may join them if others recover.