Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ipswich away

gonzo

1 minute ago, Arrested development said:

Ipswich XG was only 0.87 compared to ours which was 0.89 so their chances can't have been clear cut chances. 

Haven’t got a clue what that means 😂but second half we didn’t have a shot on target we played well first half though just fell asleep for the corner that led to the goal . Good point though 

• Site Supporter

Woman on SkySports gave no credit at all for excellence in defence. 

Her words were along the lines of, “I just don’t know how Ipswich haven’t won this game!”

I’d have taken a draw all day.

Sounded increasingly like the Alamo in the second half so that's a great point. We will have three or four away fixtures as difficult as that but probably none more so. Now for a real test at home before we encounter some more middling League 1 sides.

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Woman on SkySports gave no credit at all for excellence in defence. 

Her words were along the lines of, “I just don’t know how Ipswich haven’t won this game!”

I’d have taken a draw all day.

Ifollow Ipswich commentators said at the end draw fair result 

Right result that. Our subs didn't really turn it and neither did theirs thankfully. Bradley was superb, Santos solid, Johnstone with some massive blocks but nearly fucked it late on, Trafford with two stunners int second half but feet were well off and  Ref - shite.

Thought we closed them down well Santos & Johnston immense. Like look of Connor Bradley. Good battling performance against very good side. Their best chances came from our mistakes I thought. Also ipswich commentators said a draw a fair result im not going to disagree. 

• Moderators

Delighted with that point 

All them second half but we either defended well enough in nullifying them or they lacked cutting edge 

The only let down defending was their equaliser 

• Site Supporter

Great away point. Game of 2 halves. Traf made a couple of top saves with one late on but I reckon we were value for a draw for our 1st half performance.

Belting day out and special thanks to @BOWTUN BAKEDfor organising the coach. Not the day he wanted but not his fault either. Appreciate it mate

4 minutes ago, burnden said:

Wanderers fans at Ipswich

Superb effort 

Feel sorry for Dion at times; works so hard but the ball just isn’t dropping for him

Solid start and hopefully we’ll not switch off like we did for their goal as we get into the swing of things

They’re a decent side and press like we do so v happy with the point. Just about deserved but if I was them I’d be bemoaning not putting the game to bed. 

2 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Superb effort 

Feel sorry for Dion at times; works so hard but the ball just isn’t dropping for him

Solid start and hopefully we’ll not switch off like we did for their goal as we get into the swing of things

They’re a decent side and press like we do so v happy with the point. Just about deserved but if I was them I’d be bemoaning not putting the game to bed. 

Fuck me!! We were loud & proud… Norwich lad in front was amazed at our support. And the new Bod song is ace. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

28 minutes ago, MickyD said:

If someone would like to explain XG, I’d appreciate it too.

Expected goals. A metric used to assess the quality of the chances created. Ipswich chances they created expected them to score 0.87 goals. To have an XG less than 1 with the pressure they had means they didn't create good goalscoring chances. 

I have a subscription to the athletic for a £1 a month and they sent a notification out at full time showing both teams XG. 

Edited by Arrested development

The first half is definitely something to build upon. We pressed them all over the pitch.

But I felt that we really blown ourselves out by the 2nd half. Players looked like they all had jelly legs and couldn't win a header, tackle or control the ball in the middle. Generated so much pressure.

Definitely something to build upon, that is as tough as an opening away game as we could've had 

Like everyone else I'm happy with a point.  Doesn't sound like we played well after we took the lead and it sounds like a stretch to say we deserved a point (did we have a shot on or near target except the pen?).  First time we've taken the lead away from home and failed to win since Bradford in March 2021.  

Good to see us go 1-0 up in the first half away from home, a good habit to get into after conceding the first goal more often than not last season.  Morley also scored the last one (at Gillingham).

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

The first half is definitely something to build upon. We pressed them all over the pitch.

But I felt that we really blown ourselves out by the 2nd half. Players looked like they all had jelly legs and couldn't win a header, tackle or control the ball in the middle. Generated so much pressure.

Definitely something to build upon, that is as tough as an opening away game as we could've had 

Agreed. We looked knackered which surprised me. 

Not sure why Kacha came on when we needed some to put their foot on it but it ended well enough.

I'd have loved Lee to be the sub in today's situation. Great point tho

Fantastic point that. Felt sorry for Charles, worked his absolute socks off. He really needs somone to work off and as much as I like dapo, its not him.

Kieron Lee is a class above.

My lad is gutted but they were seriously stiff opposition. Theyd be chuffed to mintballs coming away from ours with a point.

We will be up there this season 100%.

Crying out for some pace though, forget who called it on here earlier in the week but we really need some legs on there.

Currently sat in McDonalds near the ground, letting the traffic go. Smashing day.