Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses

gonzo

I was in the gym at the Whites hotel a few years ago and the England Womens Team were in. About 8 of them and me. It wasn’t the worst experience of my life.

Watching it now and It’s pretty good. The quality has improved massively over the last few years. Never seen VAR technology checking goal line technology before.

24 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I was in the gym at the Whites hotel a few years ago and the England Womens Team were in. About 8 of them and me. It wasn’t the worst experience of my life.

Watching it now and It’s pretty good. The quality has improved massively over the last few years. Never seen VAR technology checking goal line technology before.

There was no need for it to be checked. No idea why they did that. 

6 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

The trick is to treat it as a completely different game to men's football ( & filter out the squaling from commentary & crowd ), then it can be watchable.

Have to turn sound off. No way can I cope with that cacophony 

Just now, royal white said:

I’ve tried but the standard is awful. People comparing this to the mens game are deluded. Any half decent mens semi pro team hammer these. 

Not just the 'quality' it's a completely different game and I'm out. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Not just the 'quality' it's a completely different game and I'm out. 

Completely different game? I don't get that.

Lesser quality, slower etc yes, but the coaching, technique and professionalism now more closely resembles the men's game than it has before. 

The patterns of play, building from the back are all familiar. 

The standard could be like Man City and Liverpool combined, but I don't watch it because it doesn't matter enough (and as said above, the cacophany of noise and high pitched/forced commentary).  I can't explain why, but its just not important to enough people.  I've never heard anyone discuss women's football results in work, in the pub, in the shops, but I hear discussions of countless other sports not just men's football.   Each to their own and I hope everyone enjoys it, but its just not for me, and I hope its not given overblown saturation press coverage out of proportion to how much people care.

Edited by Johnnyrotten
error

Yes the quality is poor and it's frustrating to watch. But ladies tennis was poor when the WTA formed in the 70s, but it's a pretty decent level now. Women's football will take years to up it's game, but I'm not going to slag it off. It is what it is.

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Keepers tend to be worse than Scottish non-league

this, and given the average goalkeeper is a tad shorter than their male counterpart makes for some shite in full size nets

anyone seen the clip of Zaha tearing through the Palace ladies team? Not in a Greenwood kind of way either

11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The standard could be like Man City and Liverpool combined, but I don't watch it because it doesn't matter enough (and as said above, the cacophany of noise and high pitched/forced commentary).  I can't explain why, but its just not important to enough people.  I've never heard anyone discuss women's football results in work, in the pub, in the shops, but I hear discussions of countless other sports not just men's football.   Each to their own and I hope everyone enjoys it, but its just not for me, and I hope its not given overblown saturation press coverage out of proportion to how much people care.

This is spot on.

On Granada Reports last night they were showing footage of pubs and fan parks from the real Euros when we got to the final.  They were saying how it gave the country a feel good factor and how everyone was massively invested.  All true.

... but then they ruined it all by saying how if England's birds did the same we could be on for a repeat.

No!  Because nobody really gives a shit.  It'd be like if England u-18s win a tournament.  Generally most folk want them to do well and are happy for them to win, but ultimately it's just a passing interest.

Much was being made of Old Trafford being full last night.  I'd suggest it was only full because tickets were either peanuts or they were handed out for free at schools.  Going off the pitch of the crowd noise during the 5 mins I watched last night I'm inclined to go with the latter.

I've spent far too much time typing this out.