Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses

gonzo

• Site Supporter

“A sell-out crowd of 68,871 and a huge TV audience on BBC1”

suggests it’s more popular than some are proposing on here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/england-women-euros-austria-lionesses-27417187.amp

I watched it and enjoyed it.

If you are going to grow a sport and try to inspire more young girls to be passionate, competitive and lead active, healthy lifestyles, and prime time viewing and positive press encourages this, then I don’t see why some are so negative. 

Edited by desperado

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Great article, said a lot of what I struggle to describe.  "But does the BBC know its place anymore? Its purpose is surely to report the news, which means covering sport on the basis of the level of interest in it, not using it as a vehicle to drive societal change" - great line.  Report what people want to know about not what you think should be important.  I habitually listen to sports bulletins on 5 live or Sky Sports or the BBC Sport website, but I find I'm bothering less and less because "Arsenal sign striker from AC Milan" may grab my attention but it takes time to work out if its men's football (interesting) or women's football (irrelevant to me).  There aren't enough hours in the day to filter out what I want to hear about.

All the schools in Trafford and surrounds got freebies.

Brother in law and his wife (2 cherries on an ironing board and a face like Phil Neville) are both teachers and they were taking loads of kids for a day out.

• Members
1 minute ago, Carlos said:

They should have had some men covering it, half and half, like the men's game gets. You can't have mixed for mens and all women for this.

I agree with you but the current zeitgeist needs to be considered. I suspect that women's football will run its course and then, to an extent, wither on the vine and settle at a level commensurate with its pulling power.

Some of the women commenting on men's football are mindbogglingly atrocious but quotas must be met as we are all now painfully aware. Once again, the mute button can be a godsend.

Women's football, Kabadi, Sumo Wrestling, American Football, Rugby League, Walking Football - all nice enough for those playing I'm sure, but in reality, nobody really gives a single fuck about them in this country, and they certainly shouldn't be aired on Television. 

We shouldn't pander to these minority 'sports' 

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

Women's football, Kabadi, Sumo Wrestling, American Football, Rugby League, Walking Football - all nice enough for those playing I'm sure, but in reality, nobody really gives a single fuck about them in this country, and they certainly shouldn't be aired on Television. 

We shouldn't pander to these minority 'sports' 

Add in cycling, darts, snooker and F1 and you've cracked it.

• Site Supporter
55 minutes ago, Carlos said:

They should have had some men covering it, half and half, like the men's game gets. You can't have mixed for mens and all women for this.

Same applies to English & Scottish televised games. English games get plenty jocks commentating, Scottish football, none.

22 minutes ago, Traf said:

Add in cycling, darts, snooker and F1 and you've cracked it.

... & competitive Basketball.

A buch of freakishly tall men run up the court, score. Down the court, score ... ad nauseum. The winners being the ones who fail even less rarely than their rivals.

Oh, I nearly forgot ... fecking Netball. The above, but woman and no movement.

11 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Same applies to English & Scottish televised games. English games get plenty jocks commentating, Scottish football, none.

This is an odd gripe. Surely thou don’t watch Scottish football?

12 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

... & competitive Basketball.

A buch of freakishly tall men run up the court, score. Down the court, score ... ad nauseum. The winners being the ones who fail even less rarely than their rivals.

Oh, I nearly forgot ... fecking Netball. The above, but woman and no movement.

They should have different leagues for different heights in Basketball.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Doesn't Dion Dublin get that gig sometimes?  The problem with men commentating on women's football, especially if they are ex-pro's themselves, is they can't criticise at all.  I'm guessing if England are playing below par the English female commentators will feel comfortable telling it as it is, but how would it look if it was Dublin, or Roy Keane!

I view it as similar to the paralympics and say, some dwarves in a swimming race.  I mean, well done for having a go and all that but do I want to watch it on prime time TV? Nah. 

The Beeb are pushing their agenda to promote it, in the same way they kept telling us about the magic of the FA cup, when the only footy coverage they had was Hartlepool vs Borehamwood in a 1st round replay. 

16 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I view it as similar to the paralympics and say, some dwarves in a swimming race.  I mean, well done for having a go and all that but do I want to watch it on prime time TV? Nah. 

The Beeb are pushing their agenda to promote it ...

Agreed totally.

The Paralympics are admirable efforts by disadvantaged people but do I want to watch it ? No.

It's the BBC's agenda & not desired by the bulk of the population. Now they're doing false or at least partial repirting on the success of all this. No-one there is saying "big crowd, but most of it was freebies". They don't repost the Wimminz 'Superleague' crowds. It's being force fed and will, ultimately fail.

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

Arsenal head coach Jonas Eidevall talked a good game , seemed to know what he was on about . I think Alex Scott is a good presenter , knows her  football stuff . You don't become a top pundit overnight you grow into it with experience and Alex seems ok to me. She does a good job on football focus.

Ian Wright is going to be contributing, he was awful when he first started but is doing ok now . 

The football on show was ok , fast breaks , neat passing . 

What's wrong with having a young enthusiastic crowd , some neanderthals follow England .

Anyway the only team that matters to me is and always will be bwfc , international tournaments  be them men or women are just filling the gap between bwfc matches . I don't really care who wins a Euro or world cup tournament as long as the football is good. Besides the beautiful game is always Brasil and Spain. 

55 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

The Beeb are pushing their agenda to promote it, in the same way they kept telling us about the magic of the FA cup, when the only footy coverage they had was Hartlepool vs Borehamwood in a 1st round replay. 

Footy? 

Get out! 

12 hours ago, Zico said:

The best thing about women's football is when they get their phones hacked and their selfies distributed on WhatsApp

4 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

EFA

Ziggy beat me to it. 

You've missed a trick Zico. 

Lesbanim 'footy' tits battlenips 

16 hours ago, MickyD said:

Ian Crocker (Weymouth) is not only the main SPFL commentator but also does the Scotland games.

Chris Sutton is a regular pundit on SPFL games. Alan Stubbs is on fairly frequently too.

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, tomski said:

This is an odd gripe. Surely thou don’t watch Scottish football?

Rarely other than flicking channels looking for a mutually watchable programme.