Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses

gonzo

loads more young girls getting involved in football in the playground these days. Noticed it more and more at work. Some of them give a fair few lads the run around as well. Seeing the women's game getting coverage gives them confidence. The standard is still pretty pish but will only get better with time. 

I'll watch the odd Lioness game if they go on a run. Enjoyed watching the semi's and final at the last World Cup. Apart from that I've not much of an interest. Just nowhere near the exciting edge that the men's game has. 

Glad that it's getting the coverage though - even if the ratings are low. Can't understand why anyone would moan about the coverage. There's pish on telly all the time. If you want to know all the latest men's transfer gossip and pre-season friendly news then just follow whoever your interested in on social media - it's hardly like the Women's Euros has taken any of that away. 

My Great Niece pays in a u10 or u11 girls team and is a tidy little player.  She went with the family and some friends on Tuesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Happy for her/them.

As far as my interest goes and the televising of it, to damn it with feint praise, it's better than Love Island.  Just.

Edited by Gonk

58 minutes ago, DazBob said:

A colleague went with his missus and their two young children to the England game.  The four tickets cost a total of £75 which I was very surprised at. I expected them to be much cheaper.

Hospitality seats?

4 hours ago, DazBob said:

A colleague went with his missus and their two young children to the England game.  The four tickets cost a total of £75 which I was very surprised at. I expected them to be much cheaper.

I think paying £75 quid to a family to watch it is pretty good.

4 hours ago, DazBob said:

The price of tickets for OT during Euro 96 was about £140 for 2 adults and 2 children, no concessions. 

1 hour ago, Mannyroader said:

The price of tickets for OT during Euro 96 was about £140 for 2 adults and 2 children, no concessions. 

I went to loads of games at Euro 96 and prices started at £15 for adults for group games, I'm guessing you mean last year's Euros?

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I went to loads of games at Euro 96 and prices started at £15 for adults for group games, I'm guessing you mean last year's Euros?r

No, 96. I went to Germany v Czech and sat in the new North Stand in a block near the area. All the central blocks were almost empty. Both ends were full with fans from the competing teams.

Tickets at Hillsboro couldn't be had for less than £30.

Edited by Mannyroader

56 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

No, 96. I went to Germany v Czech and sat in the new North Stand in a block near the area. All the central blocks were almost empty. Both ends were full with fans from the competing teams.

Tickets at Hillsboro couldn't be had for less than £30.

I went to that Germany v Czech game, great atmosphere, we were in the bit next to the Germans behind the goal that Klinsman scored a cracker in.  We definitely paid £15 for most group games, but you could pay £25, £35 and £45 depending where you sat.  Even went to England v Scotland at Wembley for £15 behind the goal next to the Scots end.

Anyway I'm not here to dispute the prices, good to reminisce about Euro 96, loved every minute of it apart from France v Holland at Anfield (Yourri played) which was dire (0-0 AET).  Great atmosphere from Dutch in Liverpool pubs though.  Same day England also drew 0-0 AET v Spain and won on pens, when Hierro missed one.

Did 2 matches in one day, sat amongst Bulgaria fans v Spain at Leeds, then sat with 20k Danish fans v Portugal at Hillsborough.  Great memories, I wouldn't have the energy to do half of it these days.

23 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

loads more young girls getting involved in football in the playground these days. Noticed it more and more at work. Some of them give a fair few lads the run around as well. Seeing the women's game getting coverage gives them confidence. The standard is still pretty pish but will only get better with time. 

I'll watch the odd Lioness game if they go on a run. Enjoyed watching the semi's and final at the last World Cup. Apart from that I've not much of an interest. Just nowhere near the exciting edge that the men's game has. 

Glad that it's getting the coverage though - even if the ratings are low. Can't understand why anyone would moan about the coverage. There's pish on telly all the time. If you want to know all the latest men's transfer gossip and pre-season friendly news then just follow whoever your interested in on social media - it's hardly like the Women's Euros has taken any of that away. 

I think it's great girls are pwanting to participate more. Hopefully the quality of their game will improve.

Good luck to the Lionesses' in their quest.

I am all for girls / women playing football. Absolutely brilliant. 

But don't for 1 minute buy into the media luv in for the game . This also goes for female commentators and pundits presenting and commentating on the Premier League and the EFL.

I want to hear from ex male  players . Who have lived and breathed the game .

On 09/07/2022 at 20:56, embankment said:

I am all for girls / women playing football. Absolutely brilliant. 

But don't for 1 minute buy into the media luv in for the game . This also goes for female commentators and pundits presenting and commentating on the Premier League and the EFL.

I want to hear from ex male  players . Who have lived and breathed the game .

Don't see why women can't present & commentate on men's football. As long as they've got the talent, which some have. Obviously not right when they're given the job purely based on gender.

Plenty women live & breathe the men's game & follow their team week in week out