Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses

gonzo

44 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Only in hype. A lot of people don't give a fuck about football at all, even if/when the England men's team get to a major final.

When England play a major game, every pub in the land is packed, the roads are dead and folk are given time off work. School kids get to watch it in assembly halls if it clashes with school time.

Think over 30 million watched the Italy game.

The country pretty much comes to a srandstill.

Womens footy is about 100 years behind that. It might get there who knows.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, gonzo said:

When England play a major game, every pub in the land is packed, the roads are dead and folk are given time off work. School kids get to watch it in assembly halls if it clashes with school time.

Think over 30 million watched the Italy game.

The country pretty much comes to a srandstill.

Womens footy is about 100 years behind that. It might get there who knows.

Of course. But the hype is still comparable.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

I don't think (and I reckon nor do you) the two are comparable at all.

Not at the moment but the womens game is improving rapidly. It’s never going to be comparable with the mens game but it will attract new fans. England look capable of winning a major tournament and that will only help it reach a new audience. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Only in hype. A lot of people don't give a fuck about football at all, even if/when the England men's team get to a major final.

Club first then… meh!

I really don’t give a flying fuck about Premier League (other than when Bolton are there)  or international football. In fact, on the odd occasion I’ve watched I’ve spent the game asking who such-and-such plays for. Obviously a bit more interest in the Prem would create answers for who England internationals play for but I really can’t be arsed.

I’ll watch if it’s on but won’t care if it isn’t.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Club first then… meh!

I really don’t give a flying fuck about Premier League (other than when Bolton are there)  or international football. In fact, on the odd occasion I’ve watched I’ve spent the game asking who such-and-such plays for. Obviously a bit more interest in the Prem would create answers for who England internationals play for but I really can’t be arsed.

Same here. My lad asked me last night (along with a million other questions about players I've never heard of...) - "Would you rather England win the World Cup, or Bolton get promoted to the Championship?". He seemed a bit surprised when I said "Bolton", but he'll get it soon enough. Last season was his first proper introduction to Wanderers, and this one is his first as a Season Ticket holder.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Club first then… meh!

Mens international tournements do my head in.

Pubs full of absolute bell ends who haven't watched a game in 4 years.

I reckon most fans in the land would pick club over country. Let's be honest, you've got more chance of experiencing success with your club than you have with England. But if England ever do win the world cup then the country will go absolutely mental. So the argument that few people care for international is just not true.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I reckon most fans in the land would pick club over country. Let's be honest, you've got more chance of experiencing success with your club than you have with England. But if England ever do win the world cup then the country will go absolutely mental. So the argument that few people care for international is just not true.

Nobody is arguing that "few" people care.

A couple of my wifes colleagues take their young sons to Leigh to watch Utd ladies.  They're football mad and as it was a struggle to get tickets for OT they took them to watch the women instead.  10 or even 5 years ago, they may have taken them to Wanderers or even Wigan for their footy fix and once bitten, they could have become fans for life.

The womens teams could be more competition in trying to attract future supporters away from the big clubs. 

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

A couple of my wifes colleagues take their young sons to Leigh to watch Utd ladies.  They're football mad and as it was a struggle to get tickets for OT they took them to watch the women instead.  10 or even 5 years ago, they may have taken them to Wanderers or even Wigan for their footy fix and once bitten, they could have become fans for life.

The womens teams could be more competition in trying to attract future supporters away from the big clubs. 

If my auntie had had balls she'd be my uncle 

24 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

If my auntie had had balls she'd be my uncle 

We're fishing in a small pool for future supporters that haven't already been hoovered up by the big clubs.  Just saying that the womens game becoming more popular, potentially will make it more difficult.

However your auntie defines herself,  I hope she's happy and at peace đŸ™‚

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

We're fishing in a small pool for future supporters that haven't already been hoovered up by the big clubs.  Just saying that the womens game becoming more popular, potentially will make it more difficult.

However your auntie defines herself,  I hope she's happy and at peace đŸ™‚

Not to mention forums like this are a very distinct demographic.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, jmjhb said:

Not to mention forums like this are a very distinct demographic.

Quite possibly, the only demographic we’ve* got in common is Bolton Wanderers.

* or Everton, Liverpool, City, United, etc.

To be honest I watched the game against Norway coz absolutely nowt on. As someone pointed out if you stop comparing it to mens game and accept it for what it is then wasn't bad entertainment even crowd noise wasn't as annoying as previous.

I will watch it again but I will stop comparing to mens game in a negative way and hope others stop getting carried away in the positive gushing sense.

Also no way is rise of women's football going to affect our attendances. Complete nonsense that and plastic Man U fans who can't get a ticket(tourists seem to manage it) for OT can piss off to Leigh Sports Village for forever and a day as far as I'm concerned. 

One area where mens & women's football is the same is the media hype in this country. Gone into overdrive now, hope the women ignore it and just carry on. One woman commentator said anything other than winning it will be 'abject failure"! Don't know much about women's game but there are surely better sides than Norway to come!