Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses

gonzo

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

You really don't need much height and width to beat these goalies though eh? 

Thats because you dont get many 6'5" muscular women.

It would've beaten Ben Amos

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

Thats because you dont get many 6'5" muscular women.

It would've beaten Ben Amos

She twatted it in with plenty of power- way beyond her stature maybe.

Across the keeper from one side to the other.

As much as women's goalkeeping isn't great, it was nevertheless a wonderful strike.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

She twatted it in with plenty of power- way beyond her stature maybe.

Across the keeper from one side to the other.

As much as women's goalkeeping isn't great, it was nevertheless a wonderful strike.

Absolutely.  Nothing to do with 'Shit Goalkeeping'.

• Site Supporter
Just now, barryk32 said:

Absolutely.  Nothing to do with 'Shit Goalkeeping'.

Aye.

Sometimes the goalkeepers seem to lack the physical prowess of the blokes, but the lass wasn't getting anywhere near it.

Stanway was just outside her right hand post and it went in on the left side. The keeper can't position herself to the middle and has to drift across slightly.

The shot was so good because it exploited that space on the opposite side.

I'd love to see the likes of Dempsey et al doing the same for us next season. 

56 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Id have saved that. They should make the nets smaller...

kevin james eating GIF by TV Land

😂

You're right lads, it was a beauty. Was on the Italian Vino last night.

I grew up playing in goal (glittering career at St. Max Primary, Bolton County & Westhoughton Rangers) before moving to a winger as an adult.

As 5ft7 I can assure you I have never saved one of those.

Roll on Tuesday

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not watched much of the tournament, switched on at HT and must say I really enjoyed it… well done the lionesses, I might be a convert. 

It's entertaining when the group stage batterings are out the way. Really enjoyed watching England in the last Women's World Cup. 

I watched about the first hour of the game last night and I thought the standard seemed pretty good.  It was absolutely miles above any other birds' game I've seen.  Problem is, after this tournament we go back to England winning 30-0 against Lichtenstein every other week.

I'm not sure how seriously flatdick football is taken in other countries.  Obvs the likes of England, France, Spain, USA, etc are doing a lot with it, but are the majority of countries doing so?

I'll also be interested to see if the general public's interest wanes after the tournament ends (or England go out).  Or will it be like when millions watch curling in the Olympics, but then completely forget about it for another four years.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

I watched about the first hour of the game last night and I thought the standard seemed pretty good.  It was absolutely miles above any other birds' game I've seen.  Problem is, after this tournament we go back to England winning 30-0 against Lichtenstein every other week.

I'm not sure how seriously flatdick football is taken in other countries.  Obvs the likes of England, France, Spain, USA, etc are doing a lot with it, but are the majority of countries doing so?

I'll also be interested to see if the general public's interest wanes after the tournament ends (or England go out).  Or will it be like when millions watch curling in the Olympics, but then completely forget about it for another four years.

I watched the last tournament and was properly invested by the end.  Making a night of it with beers and stuff and knowing when our next fixtures are etc.

I've been properly invested from the off this tim.

I can't be arsed with anything between the tournament's but I feel 100% exactly the same about our blokes team too 🤷

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, deane koontz said:

Poor positioning by the keeper

Where would you suggest? Any further to keeper’s right/striker’s left then striker would have slotted it the other side.