Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses

gonzo

6 minutes ago, royal white said:

Mens football doesn’t need the (financial/crowds) support that womens football does. Now is the perfect time to be all over it and take it to the next step/level at both grass roots and professional clubs. With the support the womens team have had the last few weeks you’d think it might happen. Going off here obviously not. Does anyone know what’s going on with the wanderers women? From what I can gather they folded in 2019 and then set up some kind of youth development with the town team? Yet the likes of Chorley and united of Manchester have teams 🤷🏻‍♂️

It will improve at grass level... People will be all over making that happen. I'd be keen to support grass roots women's football by getting involved in coaching.

The sport doesn't need more men to make a switch and start buying WSL tickets. It needs more funding as you say & to facilitate more girls getting involved. 

Yes a few blokes on a football forum who enjoyed the game won't be going to WSL games. But that doesn't mean the sport won't continue to grow. Amazing how far it has come in recent years.

4 minutes ago, Zico said:

I don't see it as a negative, I just don't see the point in conflating mens and womens football, because it doesn't happen elsewhere

when talking about snookers GOAT you don't hear about Reanne Evans, and there are mens and womens world records in athletics etc

i get why they do it though, they are keen to push the womens game to boost it's popularity, and that's fine, I've no issue with that, as I've said before I think they need to go one step further and start having female pundits and commentators on the prime time stuff - match of the day, commentating on the big games in the PL, world cup, CL, let Alex Scott join Carragher and Neville on a Monday night, she knows the game as well as them - but they seem reluctant for some reason

I hope that the women's game one day stands on it's own two feet and they don't need to conflate, and if my daugter gets into it, we're going, on doubt about it, even if she does choose City

Well said. I guess that sums why some pundits chose to compare the two. 

It's harmless to be honest & can be positive thing. It's also not done by every pundit, more those who are most passionate about pushing the game.

I've seen other sports talk about in a similar way. Tennis for example. Or talking about athletics achievements. Awards & records will be kept separate in football, just like in other sports.

• Members
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

If you watched our football under Dougie Freedman or Parky, watching them lionesses last night was like watching peps Barca. :D

Bloody hell matey. Great pass and finish for the first goal but after that I am struggling. I know this won't be popular but that Russo lass up front looked like one of your Blackpool donkeys. Absolutely no pace whatsoever.

Very ordinary all around but I get why peoples eyesight gets clouded when the hype is overblown by the likes of the BBC and other virtue signallers.

Given the WSL has been going - for what - 3 years is it? The growth has been great, and this will ceratinly help this - and bring better players to the shores, as well as the growth of the European games.

One of the reasons we've not been to many WSL league games is that Bolton don't have a women's team - it'd feel odd supporting say Arsenal Ladies. Been to a couple of cup games, but again not massively emotionally invested in West Ham Ladies or blokes teams for that matter. 

So as it grows, clubs will certainly invest more - indeed, as it looks like being a growth revenue stream as well. Man Utd, only had a decent side in the last year or so, Liverpool didn't invest for a long time - so basically whilst there is loads of progress, its still at the start.

16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Let’s get this into perspective, enjoyed watching us win the tournament and the girls did well, but for most of us it’ll be a long time before we watch a womens game again… and a league match isn’t ever on my agenda. 

We all knew this anyway... We're Bolton fans ffs. Not going to start tuning into the WSL on a Saturday afternoon. 

People keep pointing this out as if we were somehow pretending otherwise.

Those attendances and television numbers weren't hype, they were outstanding. Regardless of what happens to WSL, it's great to know that the girls can play for those audiences at future tournaments. World Cup next summer.

36 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Bloody hell matey. Great pass and finish for the first goal but after that I am struggling. I know this won't be popular but that Russo lass up front looked like one of your Blackpool donkeys. Absolutely no pace whatsoever.

How's the walking football going Grandad?

• Members
1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Enjoying a game of women's football is now virtue signalling 🤣🤣

The Gammons are clutching at straws.

I prefer my chips chunky and can you add a fried egg? Of course it is virtue signalling. All part of the 'positive discrimination' towards anything you wokenkers perceive as being unjustly minimalised. You seem to have missed the bit where I mentioned that I was pleased the lasses succeeded. Doesn't blind me to the likelihood that the memories will soon fade until the next major competition for them (next year?).

37 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

How's the walking football going Grandad?

Fucking brilliant. When will you ever play at FIFA's world headquarters?

What rankles you so much that women's football will never be mainstream? You are just deluding yourself if you believe it will. The only time it will generate anything more than a modicum of interest will be for Euro and World Cup finals series'. We all know it, including you.

I am in London for a few days very soon. What's your nearest club shop?

3 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I prefer my chips chunky and can you add a fried egg? Of course it is virtue signalling. All part of the 'positive discrimination' towards anything you wokenkers perceive as being unjustly minimalised. You seem to have missed the bit where I mentioned that I was pleased the lasses succeeded. Doesn't blind me to the likelihood that the memories will soon fade until the next major competition for them (next year?).

What rankles you so much that women's football will never be mainstream? You are just deluding yourself if you believe it will. The only time it will generate anything more than a modicum of interest will be for Euro and World Cup finals series'. We all know it, including you.

Enjoying Englands women winning is virtue signalling.

Then you say you are pleased they won. So you are virtue signalling ? 

12 minutes ago, Ani said:

Laura Kenny just won a gold medal in Commonwealth Games.

She is no Chris Hoy,

Yeah but it's the commonwealth games. 

Half of them are farmers from some colony and the Isle of man has its own team. 

Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz

27 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I've played at Burnden and the Reebok. Pisses all over FIFA headquarters.

And Deepdale and Leeds Road not so much, granted.