Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses

gonzo

12 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Yeah but it's the commonwealth games. 

Half of them are farmers from some colony and the Isle of man has its own team. 

Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz

What a strange response. You might need to explain what the relevance is of your little video. 

Edited by Ani

They looked like a very well-coached team from the outset. The manager has that Dutch knack of being able to get a team to play to an established system with plenty of energy without stifling individual talent in the process. 

Will I watch more women's football as a result?  Tournaments and internationals certainly yes. Club football - probably not. Why? Because to be honest other than Bolton I don't watch much men's club football any more either. Especially not the Champions League which is formulaic and dull. I'm a bit more inclined to watch Prem stuff towards the end of a season when things are at stake. 

There's only so much time available to justify watching football. Plus whether it is women or men's football the way to become bored to tears with it is by watching too much. Most of the club football I watch will remain men's just because that's where my historical knowledge and loyalties are. Nowt against women's club football - just a matter of practicality.

42 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Average top level wage is 47k

decent wage also they get same as the men 2k per England game 

There’s some (relative) big earners that drag that average up though. Bet some of the younger squad players are barely on minimum wage in reality. Got to admire their dedication. 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

There’s some (relative) big earners that drag that average up though. Bet some of the younger squad players are barely on minimum wage in reality. Got to admire their dedication. 

Aye some will on more than others, but given the average Attendance is around 3k and you can get in for under £10 it didn’t seem that bad imo 

34 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

23 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Aye some will on more than others, but given the average Attendance is around 3k and you can get in for under £10 it didn’t seem that bad imo 

Article on t'beeb today.

Man City Mens pay 62% of their income on players wages.

Man City Ladies pay 113% of their income on players wages. * edit: And staff wages

Edited by ZiggyStardust
Ladies salaries includes staff as well as players.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Article on t'beeb today.

Man City Mens pay 62% of their income on players wages.

Man City Ladies pay 113% of their income on players wages. * edit: And staff wages

Manchester City is a freak. Utterly worthless comparing their finances to any other club, mens or womens.

Edited by Cheese

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I prefer my chips chunky and can you add a fried egg? Of course it is virtue signalling. All part of the 'positive discrimination' towards anything you wokenkers perceive as being unjustly minimalised. You seem to have missed the bit where I mentioned that I was pleased the lasses succeeded. Doesn't blind me to the likelihood that the memories will soon fade until the next major competition for them (next year?).

Fucking brilliant. When will you ever play at FIFA's world headquarters?

What rankles you so much that women's football will never be mainstream? You are just deluding yourself if you believe it will. The only time it will generate anything more than a modicum of interest will be for Euro and World Cup finals series'. We all know it, including you.

I am in London for a few days very soon. What's your nearest club shop?

A wokenker ? Never heard that one before.

Must have been great to play at the FIFA headquarters mate. Though going by your logic on the women's game it's irrelevant because you'll be back at your normal venue soon enough.

You're the third person on this thread to remind me that the memories will soon fade... As if we were all blissfully unaware and expecting it to take over from the men's game 😆

"I'm happy for you girls, but you're all shite compared to the men, well done though, honestly ". 

I've lived in Edinburgh the past 3 years bud, soon moving to Glasgow for a new job. Rangers club shop or Celtics?

13 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Manchester City is a freak. Utterly worthless comparing their finances to any other club, mens or womens.

From the same BBC

Women's Super League matches, average audiences for the most recent season reached 1,931 according to the Football Association.

Not much chance of same wages then

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Well, considering one of the issues with men's football has been wages being in excess of income, I'd suggest city's 62% is actually very good and is excellent considering their wealth.

The wealth of their owners is so vast, it's a meaningless statistic.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

From the same BBC

Women's Super League matches, average audiences for the most recent season reached 1,931 according to the Football Association.

Not much chance of same wages then

But then they use Manchester City as an example of finances in the womens game.... Pointless.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

The women are NEVER going to earn anywhere near as much as the men, or attract the same attendances, sponsorship deals etc. for obvious reasons. As usual though, the highest earners are singled out, as though they're the norm. It's really lazy thinking.

The standard shouldn't be the question here. 

The Lionesses have become the Champions of Europe, they're the best of their genre. It doesn't matter if they're not as good as men.

Is Serena Williams any less of a champion?
Do Paralympians not deserve the glory they get?
You can only beat what you're up against.

Hopefully they'll kick on and win the next World Cup.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

That’s the average for the league, what has it to do with city? 

So the average womens team spends 113% of their income on wages?

Edited by Cheese