Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses

gonzo

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Maybe a lot of girls want to be involved in our "National Sport" but don't get the opportunity as it's seen as a 'boy's game'? Just an inkling.

Think you’ll find cricket is our national sport but the argument works for both sports. Englands women won the cricket World Cup in 2017. It’s since become more popular with young girls and the Euro win by England’s women will no doubt increase its popularity with young girls also. 

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Maybe a lot of girls want to be involved in our "National Sport" but don't get the opportunity as it's seen as a 'boy's game'? Just an inkling.

Not many boys I know play cricket, more are into football, rugby and martial arts.  I suppose where you live has a big influence 

Edited by royal white

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Cheese said:

An interesting take on this yesterday. 

Other sports have already gone on to success in the women's side of things, prior to the footballers, and therefore they maybe should have "first dibs" so to speak.

Sort of made sense, until he spoke about examples being golf and tennis. Now tennis courts at schools, an unlikely possibility maybe, but a golf course!

Cricket certainly needs pushing for all, as again, the women are doing consistently well.

There is without doubt an issue however over the amount of time available for kids to do PE.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Anyone remember this?

Before my time but remember them changing rooms at Thornleigh in the old gym late 90s. 

Apart from Webber the other PE teachers were basically the other 2 blokes who weren't already knackered alcoholics or priests. 

At my lads primary they've struggled to have any consistency with whoever does PE for the 4 years he's been there. According to him lessons seem to be the same daft shit like balancing a bean bag on your head or throwing it into a hoop that my daughter is doing at nursery. 

At least he's not getting knocked about though like Grange Hill 

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

An interesting take on this yesterday. 

Other sports have already gone on to success in the women's side of things, prior to the footballers, and therefore they maybe should have "first dibs" so to speak.

Sort of made sense, until he spoke about examples being golf and tennis. Now tennis courts at schools, an unlikely possibility maybe, but a golf course!

Cricket certainly needs pushing for all, as again, the women are doing consistently well.

There is without doubt an issue however over the amount of time available for kids to do PE.

From what I’ve seen of my lads school if you’re interested in a sport doing it in PE isn’t going to help you. The standard is shit and there’s no competitiveness. Grass roots is the way forward . 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, royal white said:

From what I’ve seen of my lads school if you’re interested in a sport doing it in PE isn’t going to help you. The standard is shit and there’s no competitiveness. Grass roots is the way forward . 

I agree.

Lad had about 20-30 mins per week by the time they got changed out of uniform and back again. He's not overly sporty (not school stuff anyway) but it just seemed that it was low priority. 

3 minutes ago, wiggy said:

England Women vs USA Women at Wembley went on sale yesterday. Completely sold out. Season tickets for Arsenal Women sold out today. Brighton have already sold twice as many season tickets as last season. 

That's awesome. 

How much are season tickets for arsenal and Brighton women.

It might put it into perspective for the megsons millions who deserted us when the flying flute got a dodgy stream and then conveniently never returned when we dropped through the leagues. 

• 2 weeks later...