Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses


gonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Fucking hell there's some sad bastards on this thread with some brilliant logic🤣

Jumping on the bandwagon? Imagine if we were to win it in Qatar this winter? Then you spend your time trolling the thread accusing those celebrating of jumping on the bandwagon because they weren't tuning in to watch us stroll past the likes of San Marino and Moldova in qualifying. Or the Whites win a play off final and you troll through accusing anyone who went to Wembley and doesn't watch them week in and week out of jumping on the bandwagon.

If England were to win it that wouldn't mean I'd be watching far more PL games afterwards either. So the WSL comparison makes little sense to me. If you don't care that's absolutely grand - but why come on a thread to tell us you watched the last 10 minutes or didn't bother at all 🤣 Just do what any normal, less self-obsessed, person would do and don't click on the thread.

Either that or you're of the belief that football does belong to the men and you're just shite at communicating that's how you feel. 

This could be a game changer for the mental health of millions of young girls. It's an incredible game and for years options in school have been very limited to the likes of dance, netball, hockey or gymnastics etc. Struggling to see why folk would find negatives because one rogue BBC presenter made a stat comparison to Rooney. 

Just press the back arrow - go back to the Rugby League thread and have a nice chat about how much you enjoyed it with others who did 👍 Those who aren't that into the sport will probably do the normal thing and just leave you to it x 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Theres a girl plays in my lads under 11s team and one in my other lads under 9s. Plenty other teams the same.

Thats running along with a full girls league with 10 different teams from the area.

Its thriving at youth level and is only going to get bigger.

That's great. Will it transfer into bigger crowds in the professional game?

Talking this morning about the need for investment, and no doubt companies will.he looking into it. They will want some return though and that's the bit I'm not so sure about. I genuinely hope it does take off, as I've enjoyed the championship. 

If I'm honest though, I doubt I would go and watch a league match, though it would help if we had a team.

I suppose its a bit like cricket, in that I don't go watching lancashire, but watch England. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone is happy for them, my point being will people now start supporting at club level. Many have said how important it is for the women, how they’re holding their own etc etc but are you going to continue showing your support. Everyone knows about the national team but is anyone going to go out and support their clubs Womens side? Have we got a womens team? Surely now after the high the sport is on is a perfect time to get behind them and continue to show support the sport obviously needs at club level. 
 

If folk don’t give a fuck about it at club level then just say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, royal white said:

Everyone is happy for them, my point being will people now start supporting at club level. Many have said how important it is for the women, how they’re holding their own etc etc but are you going to continue showing your support. Everyone knows about the national team but is anyone going to go out and support their clubs Womens side? Have we got a womens team? Surely now after the high the sport is on is a perfect time to get behind them and continue to show support the sport obviously needs at club level. 
 

If folk don’t give a fuck about it at club level then just say.

That wasn't your point though mate... Your first point was that England still haven't won anything. Then you told us all how you watched the last ten minutes and thought it was the World Cup, before accusing us all of jumping on a bandwagon 😁

Now you're still here? With a slightly different point. If I was to pop over to the Rugby League thread with similar points about a sport I'm not that interested in then you'd think I was a reet fanny. Top left corner mate - the wee arrow pointing to the left 👍

 I won't start supporting at a club level unless someone I knew was playing, I doubt anyone on here will. It's just not the same for me. I will continue to watch the Lionesses in the major tournaments and maybe tune in to the odd Cup final or big CL game. Does that make their achievement any less though? Should the blokes on here not have celebrated because we won't be watching the WSL?

WSL attendances will rise without a doubt next season and more girls, women and families will probably go to the games. It will be a different atmosphere but it will get more people out and about who maybe weren't that keen on the prices and culture at the men's games. A club culture at the WSL games is already starting to form. I won't be making the switch but that's of no relevance to their achievement.

Edited by London Wanderer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

That wasn't your point though mate... Your first point was that England still haven't won anything. Then you told us all how you watched the last ten minutes and thought it was the World Cup, before accusing us all of jumping on a bandwagon 😁

Now you're still here? With a slightly different point. If I was to pop over to the Rugby League thread with similar points about a sport I'm not that interested in then you'd think I was a reet fanny. Top left corner mate - the wee arrow pointing to the left 👍

 I won't start supporting at a club level unless someone I knew was playing, I doubt anyone on here will. It's just not the same for me. I will continue to watch the Lionesses in the major tournaments and maybe tune in to the odd Cup final or big CL game. Does that make their achievement any less though? 

WSL attendances will rise and more women and families will probably go to the games. It will be a different atmosphere but it will get more people out and about who maybe weren't that keen on the prices and culture at the men's games. I won't be making the switch but that's of no relevance to their achievement.

My first point was a bit of tongue in cheek, apologies if my humour differs from others. Not sure what’s wrong with My second point, I only got to watch the last 10 mins and I honestly thought it was the World Cup. Sorry for offending.

No one has questioned their achievement and it seems the term band wagon has offended you and a few others. We have people not just on here, saying how much they have enjoyed the last few weeks, how the womens game has changed (it has) and how more need to be done to keep it in the spotlight and push on. To make that happen it needs to be supported from the bottom. You’ve said that’s not your thing, that’s all I wanted to know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Wonder how many gammons who decry womens football for its standard watch that non-league jumpers for goalposts shite?

"Congratulations to Radcliffe Boro on their win today. I didn't watch it to be honest. I did once but I thought it was the National League. It's just not for me. Really pissed me off when the commentator said their striker had scored more than Kane this season. Does he know how much harder it is to score in the PL? "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, royal white said:

My first point was a bit of tongue in cheek, apologies if my humour differs from others. Not sure what’s wrong with My second point, I only got to watch the last 10 mins and I honestly thought it was the World Cup. Sorry for offending.

No one has questioned their achievement and it seems the term band wagon has offended you and a few others. We have people not just on here, saying how much they have enjoyed the last few weeks, how the womens game has changed (it has) and how more need to be done to keep it in the spotlight and push on. To make that happen it needs to be supported from the bottom. You’ve said that’s not your thing, that’s all I wanted to know. 

Mate I'm not offended 😆 I knew they were all jokes. 

I just found the logic of using words like bandwagon funny in the context of last night. It's clear from the outset that you couldn't give a shit about the women's game. Which is absolutely grand. So I was curious why you've been on the thread making comments throughout these Euros. 

I've been interested in the women's game on an international level since the last World Cup and will be in the future. But I won't be tuning into the WSL just like I won't be watching  many Championship or L2 games. The game will grow and so will attendances, it's a great thing. All there is to it really. 

Edited by London Wanderer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Mate I'm not offended 😆 I knew they were all jokes. 

I just found the logic of using words like bandwagon funny in the context of last night. It's clear from the outset that you couldn't give a shit about the women's game. Which is absolutely grand. So I was curious why you've been on the thread making comments throughout these Euros. 

I've been interested in the women's game on an international level since the last World Cup and will be in the future. It is my thing. But I won't be tuning into the WSL just like I won't be watching  many Championship or L2 games. The game will grow and so will attendances, it's a great thing. All there is to it really. 

Fkinell mate it’s wanderersways. Imagine a thread where everyone agrees with each other. 
 

I’d expect Sharon’s e mail to be full today of messages asking what’s happening with our womens team, and how they can kick on using last nights success. There’s probably more emails about not having size 2 socks in the club shop though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17m watched the game on TV yesterday, biggest TV audience of the year but about 12 m less than watched the mens final. 
 

If the question on a site for fans of a football club is 'are you going to change your habits and go and watch your local Womens team' the honest answer will invariably be no.

However if anyone on the site has young daughters who watched the game and now say 'dad I fancy playing and watching more will you take me' I guess the answer from the vast majority will be yes. Are schools likely to jump on the 'bandwagon' and encourage more girls to play again pretty certain 'yes' . You can tell when the national anthem was played the crowd was not typical football , it was higher pitch and in tune 😂.

Watching the team and fans celebrate was brilliant, the players are clearly not in the main media trained robots and were clearly just living the dream, the invasion of the press conference was brilliant. 
The standard is not as high as the mens game but has improved massively since last major tournament. In the Olympics are mens gold medals better than womens ? I was there for Super Saturday and the noise for Mo Farah was impressive but the roar when Jessica Ennis won was as loud as I have ever heard. I have to confess I have been to watch an athletics event since

So it is not a competition men v women it is about supporting sporting excellence at the highest available level and then that feeding into other levels of the game. The result will certainly attract more money into the game, if that is spent wisely including getting to the grass roots there is no down side to this other than highlighting how the mens team have still not reached the same relative level .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done girls. Always happy when England comes out on top at anything at all.

Will reserve comment on women's football until Christmas when the dust has been allowed to settle.

I think we all know what will happen but let's see shall we. Will people shell out their hard earned to watch women's league football? Time will tell. I know what I expect the answer to be.

The excitables like Ian Wright and London Wanderer will most likely drop the subject over the next few weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, royal white said:

Fkinell mate it’s wanderersways. Imagine a thread where everyone agrees with each other. 
 

I’d expect Sharon’s e mail to be full today of messages asking what’s happening with our womens team, and how they can kick on using last nights success. There’s probably more emails about not having size 2 socks in the club shop though 🤷🏻‍♂️

😆👏

It's not a politics thread though mate. To me it just seems very strange to waste time saying how it's nowhere near the men's game when folk are just enjoying the celebrations. 

@Anisums it all up perfectly. Women who  play week in week out to less than a thousand getting their moment in the sunshine to 80,000 plus supporters. Great for women's sport on so many levels - I can't see why folk would highlight the negatives other than being secretly upset that the women are stealing the limelight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Well done girls. Always happy when England comes out on top at anything at all.

Will reserve comment on women's football until Christmas when the dust has been allowed to settle.

I think we all know what will happen but let's see shall we. Will people shell out their hard earned to watch women's league football? Time will tell. I know what I expect the answer to be.

The excitables like Ian Wright and London Wanderer will most likely drop the subject over the next few weeks.

I'll reserve my comments on women's football until Christmas when the dust has been allowed to settle....

Apart from the next six sentences where I'll make my feelings known to everyone 😆🤣

some people will be spending their hard earned cash on the WSL. That will no doubt be obvious next season when attendances rise. It won't be me - I've made that clear. It will all be about Bolton. No idea why that is relevant to last night though? Does it make me a hypocrite for enjoying it the past couple of weeks? Do I now have to go out and buy a season ticket for my local women's team? 

I'd be an emotional wreck if we won it in Qatar (even if I am struggling to get behind the location of this one). I still wouldn't go out and spend my hard earned cash on watching England play Denmark in the Nations League a couple of months later though. 

Strange comparisons coming from Gammons these past 24 hours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

When the blokes tournements are on the pub is full of people who have never and wont ever step foot inside a football stadium.

Never have I seen anyone use this as a reason to ask "whats the point".

I really cant get my head around all these conditions people are attaching to the womens game.

Its crackers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

When the blokes tournements are on the pub is full of people who have never and wont ever step foot inside a football stadium.

Never have I seen anyone use this as a reason to ask "whats the point".

I really cant get my head around all these conditions people are attaching to the womens game.

Its crackers.

This.

They wouldn't do it for tennis, snooker, an Olympic event, or even their own kids sporting achievement. 

Yet they have to come on here stating that it's nowhere near the mens game... As if it's some sort of revelation that we've all been unaware of the past few weeks.

Can't get my head round it, other than there are actually some blokes out there who feel it is taking something away from the men's game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, barryk32 said:

When the blokes tournements are on the pub is full of people who have never and wont ever step foot inside a football stadium.

Never have I seen anyone use this as a reason to ask "whats the point".

I really cant get my head around all these conditions people are attaching to the womens game.

Its crackers.

Mens football doesn’t need the (financial/crowds) support that womens football does. Now is the perfect time to be all over it and take it to the next step/level at both grass roots and professional clubs. With the support the womens team have had the last few weeks you’d think it might happen. Going off here obviously not. Does anyone know what’s going on with the wanderers women? From what I can gather they folded in 2019 and then set up some kind of youth development with the town team? Yet the likes of Chorley and united of Manchester have teams 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

We had a team. They were in a better financial state than the club (who wasn't), so they had to stay distant to keep Ken away from their sponsorship money. Eventually, they dropped the Wanderers name, then the bloke behind it left and it all disolved. They had a decent(ish) league position, but they were playing actual Newcastle United one week then like Burnley Social Club or some shite the next. If I'm generous, there would be 40 people on, gate wide open and free to watch.

We have strong girls youth teams. Maybe down the line that expand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
2 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Struggling to see why folk would find negatives because one rogue BBC presenter made a stat comparison to Rooney. 

I don't see it as a negative, I just don't see the point in conflating mens and womens football, because it doesn't happen elsewhere

when talking about snookers GOAT you don't hear about Reanne Evans, and there are mens and womens world records in athletics etc

i get why they do it though, they are keen to push the womens game to boost it's popularity, and that's fine, I've no issue with that, as I've said before I think they need to go one step further and start having female pundits and commentators on the prime time stuff - match of the day, commentating on the big games in the PL, world cup, CL, let Alex Scott join Carragher and Neville on a Monday night, she knows the game as well as them - but they seem reluctant for some reason

I hope that the women's game one day stands on it's own two feet and they don't need to conflate, and if my daugter gets into it, we're going, on doubt about it, even if she does choose City

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Carlos said:

We had a team. They were in a better financial state than the club (who wasn't), so they had to stay distant to keep Ken away from their sponsorship money. Eventually, they dropped the Wanderers name, then the bloke behind it left and it all disolved. They had a decent(ish) league position, but they were playing actual Newcastle United one week then like Burnley Social Club or some shite the next. If I'm generous, there would be 40 people on, gate wide open and free to watch.

We have strong girls youth teams. Maybe down the line that expand.

My mates daughter plays in the U18s and they seem to win by a large margin most weeks from what he posts on FB.

 

Maybe this is the perfect time for those who enjoy the womens footy to start getting behind them 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.