Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Henry Mowbray

Steejay

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

Died age 75.

Absolute head the ball.  Remember him getting sent off at Tranmere for nutting their winger.

Loveable, honest, hard bastard.

RIP

He, with Peter Nicholson followed Jimmy Armfield from Blackpool. Played about 30 gamesvin 2 seasons. Nutcase. Hard as nails.

He arrived following our relegation to Division 3 and played 71/2 which was only my second season of going to BP 

Was still at primary school and at the time went to games with an older mate and his much older brother. 

Can remember Henry and that chant ( Stick the Bloody boot in Henry )  but was way too young to properly appreciate individual players skills and qualities - apart obviously from Gary Jones when he famously scored a hat trick against Man City that season

Couple of things that stick in my memory from that season - being terrified when thousands of Aston Villa fans turned up at Burnden chanting "Power to the Villa" and running amok ,they were a huge club in that division that season. 

And going to away games - mates brother had only recently passed his driving test and had absolutely no sense of direction whatever , so like many others travelling by car we used to congregate on the car park at Burnden and literally follow the supporters club coaches in a convoy to the likes of Port Vale , Rochdale , Oldham , Chesterfield etc 

Anyway - RIP Henry - you helped stop the rot and turn the club around 

• Site Supporter

Left the season before I started attending regularly. I recall attending two night matches in that Third Div. Championship season with my mum, brother and a neighbour but have no memory of who we’d played. I think both must’ve been fairly close to the end of the season because I remember one of the songs was, “And now you’re gonna believe us, we’re gonna win the league!”

1 hour ago, passmosster said:

He got our only goal in the 1-1 at Chelsea in the League cup. Coupled with a fantastic Charlie Wright performance, I remember it well.

If my memory serves me right we should have had a penalty late on to win the game when Rowe? got fouled in the box but kept on his feet and ultimately lost the ball

I started going regularly in 69/70 and remember Mowbray as a defender who took no prisoners, but can't remember whether he was right or left footed.  I think we had John Hulme playing in central defence as well.  By 72/73 his last season, we had defenders like McAllister Jones & Allardyce coming through and I think we signed Tony Dunne in 73.  Mowbray was always going to get squeezed out.  RIP Henry.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, bwfc2003 said:

If my memory serves me right we should have had a penalty late on to win the game when Rowe? got fouled in the box but kept on his feet and ultimately lost the ball

That's right. If Rowe had gone down it was a penalty.

Did Henry Mowbray sign at the same time as Tony Dunne ?