Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stelios

Desertmonkey

I loved him - the goal at Spurs was key to us staying up. The Blackburn 4-3 goal, the mauling of Everton. Goals against the Arse. In Europe. How folk can complain about his contribution boggles the mind. He is very humble too - I was coaching his son in Junior Whites just after he signed for Hull and I asked him why he left and he said I’m not good enough anymore. He was in the hotel watching games during lockdown. He a club legend. 

8 hours ago, Henrick_Pedigol said:

I loved him - the goal at Spurs was key to us staying up. The Blackburn 4-3 goal, the mauling of Everton. Goals against the Arse. In Europe. How folk can complain about his contribution boggles the mind. He is very humble too - I was coaching his son in Junior Whites just after he signed for Hull and I asked him why he left and he said I’m not good enough anymore. He was in the hotel watching games during lockdown. He a club legend. 

Well said, definitely one of my all time favourite players, firstly on the field but also off.  Stelios is in that group of players who's affection for the club continued despite the club's struggles.  It says something about them if they didn't didn't distance themselves from BWFC when we dropped down the leagues.  But mainly, what a player he was.

9 hours ago, Henrick_Pedigol said:

aye , he were good. 

kinda busy all the time. 

good thinking back. funny. 

think he were kinda cheap too. 

campoesque

4 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

aye , he were good. 

kinda busy all the time. 

good thinking back. funny. 

think he were kinda cheap too. 

campoesque

My Everton brother in law still has nightmares about that Everton game! He lives away and he'd made a special trip with his young lad to see his beloved Toffees.

Fuckin love Stelios! That and his young lad in a Bolton shirt after Greece somehow won Euros my abiding memory

Ps plus the last minute winner against Derby after one of the coldest nights I have ever endured at the Reebok then the winner v Aris then. Too.many, no one can say owt against him for me.

He suffers from some people's view that 'a winger' should be tear-arsing up & down the outside, skinning people for fun and being, basically, Peter Thompson.

Many good ones made a career doing precisely not that. The Steve Coppell's of the World knew about timing, position, the great pass.

There's a reason the Thompson's are rarities. Love 'em as I do. 

• Site Supporter

Didn’t he score a cracker of an opening goal at Stamford Bridge in a game we went on to lose 5-1?

Or am I remembering through rose-tinted glasses and it was only a cracker because I thought we could actually go on to take an unlikely victory?

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Didn’t he score a cracker of an opening goal at Stamford Bridge in a game we went on to lose 5-1?

Or am I remembering through rose-tinted glasses and it was only a cracker because I thought we could actually go on to take an unlikely victory?

Was that not Ricardo??

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Many good ones made a career doing precisely not that. The Steve Coppell's of the World knew about timing, position, the great pass.

Beckham never beat a left back once