Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Bit To You Young To See Matthews.

leigh white

• Site Supporter

Think he played at Burnden in his last season for Stoke.

Iā€™m sure I saw him around 1963, I was nicking through the turnstiles as you did in them days. Not that bothered about the game itself, supping left over Magees and picking up tabs. šŸ™„

• Members

Never saw him play but saw him in the flesh outside of his villa in Marsaxloxx after he'd retired.

Shortly after I watched the Maltese Cup Final at Ta Qali where Hibernians sadly beat Sliema Wanderers. Obviously I wanted the Wanderers to win.

My dad admired Stanley Matthews greatly but always insisted that the greatest player he ever saw play was George Best. That would stick in his throat because he despised Bests club.

• Site Supporter

My mum once told me Matthews would get to Burnden Park and ask who was in our team. If Banks and Hartle were both playing heā€™d develop an injury so he didnā€™t need to play against them.

8 hours ago, MickyD said:

My mum once told me Matthews would get to Burnden Park and ask who was in our team. If Banks and Hartle were both playing heā€™d develop an injury so he didnā€™t need to play against them.

I have known Tommy since I was a kid and I asked him once about Mathews not playing and he said it was rubbish he said you also have to remember the Bolton players were in there prime and Mathews was in is 40s . When you think Mathews lost is prime years during ww2 and still regarded as a all time great he must of been specialĀ 

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

I have known Tommy since I was a kid and I asked him once about Mathews not playing and he said it was rubbish he said you also have to remember the Bolton players were in there prime and Mathews was in is 40s . When you think Mathews lost is prime years during ww2 and still regarded as a all time great he must of been specialĀ 

You callinā€™ my mum a liar? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Maybe it was just ā€œthe word on the streetsā€ and it went down in folk lore.