Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cashless stadium

Horwich

• Site Supporter

The internet connection will have to be bob on come matchday (if internet is required for such matters) or there will be some disgruntled would be drinkers in the concourse. Outside too when Fanzone is up and running. Bar staff all over the ground rubbing things with b'loons.

"Four pints of ( insert chemic of your choice) please"

"Sorry mate, your card's declined"

"Okay, forget it"

"What am I going to do with these" ?

"Not my problem"

Or will it be like some games, a cash only turnstile/bar?

32 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

The internet connection will have to be bob on come matchday (if internet is required for such matters) or there will be some disgruntled would be drinkers in the concourse. Outside too when Fanzone is up and running. Bar staff all over the ground rubbing things with b'loons.

"Four pints of ( insert chemic of your choice) please"

"Sorry mate, your card's declined"

"Okay, forget it"

"What am I going to do with these" ?

"Not my problem"

Or will it be like some games, a cash only turnstile/bar?

Different question for the fanzone but the card terminals, tills and EPOS systems will all be hard wired with a pretty watertight connection (in fact there’s a ton of matchday operations that are reliant on a web connection)

7 hours ago, Zico said:

where was your customer using a card to get stung for 100K+?

each to their own like, but what do you use at the supermarket for big shops, and petrol?

aren't you just as likely to get stung using a cash point? or  is cash point fraud a thing of the post (like when they used to put card readers into cash slots)

Faster payment on internet banking.

sent a few “lads” down to where the address was supposed to be and all boarded up.

business turnover c£50m so no mugs

• Moderators

The club have sacked the IT guy and eventura now look after the IT side.

There was a problem with the payment systems in the hotel a couple of weeks ago and it was not resolved as quickly as it would have been with the IT guy.

Possible problems ahead.

The whole match day operation is reliant on the internet connection.

11 hours ago, MickyD said:

The ground now has maybe half a dozen car park payment terminals around the ground. I can see these being massively inconvenient to all the technophobic types who can’t pay by app. 
If you park anywhere around the ground you definitely need to download said app. 
https://www.parkgood2go.com/

Going to cause murders that in the away end after games 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Horwich said:

The club have sacked the IT guy and eventura now look after the IT side.

There was a problem with the payment systems in the hotel a couple of weeks ago and it was not resolved as quickly as it would have been with the IT guy.

Possible problems ahead.

The whole match day operation is reliant on the internet connection.

More or less what I was getting at, but more sucinctly put.

13 hours ago, MickyD said:

The ground now has maybe half a dozen car park payment terminals around the ground. I can see these being massively inconvenient to all the technophobic types who can’t pay by app. 
If you park anywhere around the ground you definitely need to download said app. 
https://www.parkgood2go.com/

That should be fun when around 4000 Sheff Weds fans are trying to pay the parking charge for the cars they have travelled in as there is a rail strike that day.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, royal white said:

The amount of whining about this on social media is amazing. What’s wrong with people. 

The irony of people on line moaning that people won't be able to transact on line should not be missed. 
They do seem angry not for themselves but on behalf of others less fortunate. 

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

The irony of people on line moaning that people won't be able to transact on line should not be missed. 
They do seem angry not for themselves but on behalf of others less fortunate. 

Yes the thousands of disabled fans that we seem to have acquired who have no carers and no bank cards. 

Just now, royal white said:

Yes the thousands of disabled fans that we seem to have acquired who have no carers and no bank cards. 

We were up in Newcastle in July with a bunch of disabled theatre types, in the pub we were talking about cash v card, the vast majority preferred contactless only my missus (awkward bugger that she is) and a blind chap (so he knows he's not being swindled) prefer cash. Everyone of them was capable of paying by contactless though.

4 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

We were up in Newcastle in July with a bunch of disabled theatre types, in the pub we were talking about cash v card, the vast majority preferred contactless only my missus (awkward bugger that she is) and a blind chap (so he knows he's not being swindled) prefer cash. Everyone of them was capable of paying by contactless though.

My old man is in his 70s,  I’m taking him to the game on Saturday and I’m going to let him get the first beer but not tell him about it being cashless, his head is going to fall off. He’s only ever had a joint account with the old deer and she always has the card 

Edited by royal white

Just now, royal white said:

My old man is in his 70s,  I’m taking him to the game on Saturday, I’m going to let him get the first beer but not tell him about it being cashless, his head is going to fall off. He’s only ever had a joint account with the old dear and she always has the card 

My Dad is 76, has a card, does cashless, is aware of the modern world (because why not) and drives down here a lot. 

It's not about age.

8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

My Dad is 76, has a card, does cashless, is aware of the modern world (because why not) and drives down here a lot. 

It's not about age.

Agree, but I’d guess there’s a lot of folk of that age and above who aren’t ok with it.

When he starts moaning, which he will, I’ll remind him about the 1000s of pounds worth of modern tools that he has and the modern car he drives. Things move on. 

• Site Supporter

I don’t think many are moaning they can’t do cashless, more about not having a choice.

While I’m not tech savvy at all, it’s hardly rocket science popping a card on to a machine.

I just prefer using cash. I draw X amount out every week, what’s left goes in a pot to get cashed in before I go on holiday to pay the dogs kennels and taxi to the airport.