Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Women’s sanitary products.

MickyD

• Site Supporter

My wife has approached the club with a view to providing (FOC to the club) sanitary products for the ladies toilets in the WSL(S). She’s very much against the fact girls are required to pay for such products, hence her crusade.

Club Chaplain, Phil Mason has just been in touch thanking her for the idea which the club will take forwards in all the ladies toilets in the ground.

A company has been found which provides these products in a machine (still free) but it’d cost £8000 per season to provide.

Wife has donated £50 to get the ball rolling. Anyone else feel benevolent enough to put in as well? If you (or your workplace) can help the club please get in touch with Phil Mason or Alison Bell  at the club. 

Cheers.

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

My wife has approached the club with a view to providing (FOC to the club) sanitary products for the ladies toilets in the WSL(S). She’s very much against the fact girls are required to pay for such products, hence her crusade.

Club Chaplain, Phil Mason has just been in touch thanking her for the idea which the club will take forwards in all the ladies toilets in the ground.

A company has been found which provides these products in a machine (still free) but it’d cost £8000 per season to provide.

Wife has donated £50 to get the ball rolling. Anyone else feel benevolent enough to put in as well? If you (or your workplace) can help the club please get in touch with Phil Mason or Alison Bell  at the club. 

Cheers.

Stinks of a WanderersWags sponsorship…

I’d be happy to chuck in. Any contact details or another way (crowdfunding?) of making it easy for us lazy people?

6 hours ago, MickyD said:

Cheers.

Mrs D is right.

Period poverty is a real issue, which is why most schools now provide said items free of charge.
I'm not sure of the demographic of those being able to afford to watch professional football not being able to afford sanitary products, though. That said, it's still a very good idea and a worthwhile cause.

If discussions have taken place and the club are behind it, have they given a reason why they or the ST or the Community Trust can't find the £8,000 required? Surely it's a good cause and 8k is fuck all to a football club.

Plus how would free stuff cost £8,000?

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Traf said:

Mrs D is right.

Period poverty is a real issue, which is why most schools now provide said items free of charge.
I'm not sure of the demographic of those being able to afford to watch professional football not being able to afford sanitary products, though. That said, it's still a very good idea and a worthwhile cause.

If discussions have taken place and the club are behind it, have they given a reason why they or the ST or the Community Trust can't find the £8,000 required? Surely it's a good cause and 8k is fuck all to a football club.

Wife’s plan was to put a basket on the sink unit of the ladies toilets and have folk helping themselves on trust. Besides, if someone took enough for the week rather than just for the current need, fine. 

Added by edit - Her initial plan was to spend an extra few pounds every couple of weeks buying low-price sanitary products; pads and tampons, and replenish just the toilets in the WSL(S) as an experiment. The club has expanded this to include the whole ground.

The club would rather have dispensing machines and this is where the cost comes. I reckon there’ll be around 16-20 different ladies toilets in the ground. If each one requires a dispensing machine I’d say £8,000 is fairly low cost.

I think the club will stand the cost but probably feel any offer of a donation to offset the cost would benefit the club generally.

If they have anything about them, the club’s community action group would be making a big deal about this effort to help end period poverty. 

Edited by MickyD
Added info

10 hours ago, Traf said:

Mrs D is right.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Can't afford jam rags, but I bet they've got a mobile phone and a flat screen telly at home.

I have been advised that often the issue isn't necessarily affordability (although that is clearly a massive issue) and more that there's a risk of being 'caught out' while at the stadium when you wouldn't necessarily have your 'everything but the kitchen sink' handbag with you.

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I have been advised that often the issue isn't necessarily affordability (although that is clearly a massive issue) and more that there's a risk of being 'caught out' while at the stadium when you wouldn't necessarily have your 'everything but the kitchen sink' handbag with you.

This is very true.

Well done, Mrs D for raising the issue, but I'd now be expecting the club/trusts to sorting it.

• Members
6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

This. 

On 21/07/2022 at 17:39, MickyD said:

Cheers.

£8k a season, what’s the bloody crack with that?

13 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

£8k a season, what’s the bloody crack with that?

I suppose when you consider the scale of the stadium, £350 a game doesn’t sound that much. Though you’d think installing the gizmos are a bit of a one off cost rather than per season?

• Moderators
On 22/07/2022 at 23:06, Leyther_Matt said:

I suppose when you consider the scale of the stadium, £350 a game doesn’t sound that much. Though you’d think installing the gizmos are a bit of a one off cost rather than per season?

I think it was unfunny enough to be a breightmet joke