Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Port Vale Away

Ani

I can't blame Santos for the second yellow, it's a soft decision and he can't exactly just not defend in that position. The first yellow, however, is absolutely needless something he needs to cut out.

I'm not convinced the disallowed goal was definitely over the line either as I think the angle is deceiving. If it was as far behind the line as it looks there's no way it wouldn't have gone on to hit the back of the net.

A top effort in difficult circumstances, though. Trafford looks like he has a big future and I'm really liking the look of Johnston this season. He's playing like the player I thought we'd signed.

49 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I can't blame Santos for the second yellow, it's a soft decision and he can't exactly just not defend in that position.

Not being blamed for the decision in itself. Just being blamed for when already on a yellow giving the officials a decision to make 

40 yard out with cover in Behind he doesn’t need to be grappling. Even if the striker does get him turned I’d back Santos even without the cover to snuff out the threat. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MickyD said:

The new highlights show obviously didn't have the camera angles. They commented on the great block off the line,  not the great block 18" over it! 

it wasn't the Dapo chance here was it after 35 seconds?

that's nowhere near going over the line

so guessing they've missed it out the highlights, which seems odd

13 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Not being blamed for the decision in itself. Just being blamed for when already on a yellow giving the officials a decision to make 

40 yard out with cover in Behind he doesn’t need to be grappling. Even if the striker does get him turned I’d back Santos even without the cover to snuff out the threat. 

I got many sniggers when I said santos wouldn’t be good enough for the championship, yes he can move out and spray a ball but he struggles with his positioning at times

L1 & 2 he can bully most but some experienced striker will hand him his arse, no doubt IE will work on certain areas with him 

4 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

I got many sniggers when I said santos wouldn’t be good enough for the championship, yes he can move out and spray a ball but he struggles with his positioning at times

L1 & 2 he can bully most but some experienced striker will hand him his arse, no doubt IE will work on certain areas with him 

Yeh it’s the better movement at a higher level that would kill him. 

At this level in the middle of a 3 he’s very decent. But the level of striker is nowhere near the champ 

16 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Rolled in at 4:30am.

Lost 6 solid hours in the york with Mr H, Widness and Danny G.

Went for train and station was closed. Not surprising as it was 2am.

£80 taxi home.

Bad books.

Quality.   Old times pal.

And jeezus is widnes still knocking about !

The second yellow was not his fault. Refs and other officials do not understand backing in and very rarely punish the forward. Coupled with flinging yourself on the floor when there is hardly any physical contact, basically the attacker is stopping the defender from his right to challenge for the ball. Old timers like Fitzpatrick would stick his arse out and wave play on.

1 hour ago, nantwichwhite said:

The second yellow was not his fault. Refs and other officials do not understand backing in and very rarely punish the forward. Coupled with flinging yourself on the floor when there is hardly any physical contact, basically the attacker is stopping the defender from his right to challenge for the ball. Old timers like Fitzpatrick would stick his arse out and wave play on.

Kevin Davies would disagree!😊

First half sendings off are just annoying.  I think most of us want players sent off for stuff like violent conduct, dangerous tackles etc, surely we don't want to see 10 v 11 for 2 nothing offences.  There's virtually no talk of the performance yesterday as would normally be the case in a match thread.  Who played well, who was below par, what about substitutions and tactics?  Its like none of it matters because the only requirement was to "battle". Playing with 10 men ruins the spectacle on the day and becomes a game we can't judge the team by.  I'd say the same if it was against us, as it was in 2017 when Vale had their striker sent off for very little in the first half and we won 2-0 (OK we were glad of any sort of win that day but we were lucky). 

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Ani said:

Just watched Thogdens video and am now convinced that the challenge on Jon Diddy Dee was a penalty, the guy is pulled over from behind. 

Blowing for the start of the game, halt time and full time were the only 3 decisions that ref got right all afternoon

4 minutes ago, Ani said:

Just watched Thogdens video and am now convinced that the challenge on Jon Diddy Dee was a penalty, the guy is pulled over from behind. 

So much missed and as a Wanderer definitely felt referee had an agenda but also is very poor as evidenced by the Morecambe game last season. Very frustrating. 

Vale went down easily every time one of ours went near we have got to get used to it but strong refs seen non existent in league 1. Still feel that ball was over line as well.

Still there is a lot to be positive about. We didn't wilt and showed we are not a soft touch. Vale complaining about our rough house tactics , physicality and only being a threat from set pieces? Think Evatt is trying something different but officials and conditions on Sat conspired against us. We are so much better than them and over a season that will be shown come May

One thing I envy so far looking at the Premier league, is not only are the referees infinitely better but their entire approach to fouls and letting the games go. 

That prick on Saturday was blowing for fouls for the slightest bit of a contact, Port Vale player falls to ground? Foul every goddamn time, is it a non contact sport? 

Arsenal vs Palace last week 1st game of the new season, and players were throwing themselves all over the show and ref had none of it and told them to get on with it.

EFL referees are a joke, they have no bottle whatsoever and im kinda tired of seeing us virtually everytime being on the wrong side of frankly abysmal officiating! 

Edited by Lostock Whites

• The topic was unpinned

Reading on this Souness fuss because the flat-dicks are now over-egging themselves. He commented that referees at Premiership level are finally under instructions to let more go. To react less to players flopping about & ignore those who hit the deck from the slightest contact.

Good. What's taken so long ? When will it translate to lower leagues.

Late report- due to being at Bloodstock on Sunday. 

Early start , to Howfen Station.  7.58 rattler , unfortunately due to a overturned pie lorry at a level crossing in the dark zone didn't turn up till 8.21 resulting in  me missing a 8.59 rendezvous with early Dart. 

Hung around Piccadily for 50mins . Some strange folk there as usual. 

" got any change pal ? " 

Yeah loads I work instead of wandering about all day mithering people. 

Sputnik turned up along with Ashburner St , Pinocheo's Dad , Mr Smith and a few others . Swedish Al hovering "abarrt" with Woody.

Jeep and his carer sworn in as affiliated members for the day . Due to the hot conditions the traditional initiation rules were suspended .

Arrived at Stoke , few police knocking about ,  hung back for 5 mins then meandered to Spoons .

Not busy , couple of BWFC wearing colours , cop van outside no issues.

10 mile exculsion zone worked well then !!.

Whispering Bob , turned up ( our local guide ).

After breakfasts ( washed down with shite ale ) we moved on to The Staff of Life. Cracking back street pub , very welcoming with Bass ale and Joules .

Football , Cricket and Donkey racing on various teles . Plus ,now this is different there is a weekly Stoke City embroidery club there . So the furnishings are embroidered with the club badge. Some are spot on ,but there are some crap ones. Could be an idea for another area in our Fan Zone .

Our local guide had pre- arranged transportation to the ground.  Should have been a 16 seater but we were fobbed off with 3 cars .

Picked up outside the Glebe . Straight to the stadium .

This warm weather brings out some delightful sights .

None more so than Ju's Juggs outside the club bar.

What a sweat box that away end was . As everyone has already said ref was a bastard. Half time me and Ash were lucky enough to get in the club house . AC and fantastic pints of council pop . Just after half time I was hit on the back by a missile, spun round just in time to spot a certain Mr Whitt scuttling away with a malicious grin on his boat race. Fortunately the plastic bottle contained none of his bodily fluids.

Revenge will be sweet and it's a long season. 

Wished we could have nicked a win but in hindsight it was a brilliant result. 

After the match our well organised taxi service took a massive turn for the worst. 

Only 2 turned up ,chaos !!

Me and Pinocheo's Dad still at the stadium at 5.40.

Eventually we got back to the Glebe , where not in a good mood I gave  one of our party both barrels .

36 mins later I did apologise .

19.00 train home , then onto Howfen.  Quick pint in the Lion and half a kebab from Pasha.

Back to the football..

It's great having our game back !!

Role on tonight!!!

Edited by embankment
Assault wiv a plastic bottle