Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rooney v Gazza

royal white

3 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Let's have it right, Gazza is loved because he was a raving piss head and a bit of a boy 

His achievements in football isn't even comparable to Rooney

That’s not the question ?
if Gazza would of signed for united instead of Rangers when fergie was after him the same with shearer they would of won loads of trophies so it doesn’t count when you are just comparing like for like .
Would Rooney have won one trophy if he would of stayed at Everton ? 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

if Gazza would of signed for united instead of Rangers when fergie was after him the same with shearer they would of won loads of trophies so it doesn’t count when you are just comparing like for like .

in a nutshell

3 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

England didn't particularly get the best out of any em but out of international and club football,  Rooney clearly had the better career.

Of course that’s why I put the wink 😉 in there .  
There as been a long list of England talented Players we never got the best out of and we’re under used by England  hoddle and le Tissier spring to mind .
Another two who won fuck all but I would put le tissier up there as one of the best talents we have produced kept Southampton up single handed in the prem for years was a magician on the ball 

Paul gascoigne was the most naturally talented player we have ever had.   Unfortunately he was surrounded by so many bad influences that helped to ruin the career he should of had.      

If gascoignes time was in Rooneys time then the 'bad influences ' would never of been allowed.   

Dont get me wrong as we all know he never helped himself but he was such a different talent that probably never reached 100%

40 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

You're talking ifs, I'm talking facts 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Harry Kane will take Rooneys all time scorer record and he'll retire with that has his only accolade. 

The dribbly chinned flannel

Not if Ellen White has anything to do with it

Rooney by a country mile. Honours,caps and stats dont lie.

Your mind is as important as anything to make you the best. Gazza unfortunately didn't have the mindset or discipline to be a sports man.

Theres a reason spurs was his peak.

Rooney was fucking brilliant. For club and country and is easily one of the best English players ever.

28 minutes ago, Zico said:

Not if Ellen White has anything to do with it

If they win tomorrow no matter what the BBC say football hasn't come home. 

It'd be like saying footballs come home because we've won walking football. 

It's nice. It's still England. But it doesn't compare.... 

(see what I did there) 

1 hour ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Jack Grealish reminds me of Paul Gasgoine, but a poor man's version.

Aye Id agree with that. Hes the most technically gifted player in our set up at the minute. If Pep cant get the best out of him, no-one can.

• Members

Paul Gascoigne was arguably the greatest talent England has produced in over half a century. As others have said, if Fergie had got hold of him, I am certain he would be widely acknowledged as the greatest English player - possibly of all time.

Wayne who?

• Site Supporter

Great debate as can be seen by the polarising difference of opinion

I may be completely wrong on this, as I don’t know the ages of all folk on here. But I’m wondering whether there is a generational persuasion on this.

If you are over 45 and you were a teenager up to your 20s/30s in 1990, you will only truly know the greatness of Gazza.

No matter how many times you watch videos of him I think you need to have experienced the difference he made. The hope he gave a nation. The songs not wrong, “30 years of hurt” and mediocrity, but from 1990 with Gazza in our team we felt we always had a chance.

We had never seen someone in an England shirt, drift past people, score amazing goals, demonstrate skill which put him on a pedestal with the best in the world. 

He came back in 1996 and showed he could still do it. But for his injury (and like Others have said, if Ferguson would have got hold of him) he could have been top of the world and had Stats and honours to match and go Beyond Rooney.

Im not downplaying Rooney btw. But for me it’s Gazza

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Wayne who?

He's the one Fergie actually got hold of, who then won everything he could at club level and became Utd and England's all time top goal scorer  

Gazza scored a good goal v Scotland