Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Great News for the Gammons

DazBob

Just now, Breightmet Boy said:

goody gumdrops, far too much politics in football.  In the 70s n 80s we didn't have this problem, today the media are obsessed with filling their programmes with it.   

Haha.  I've no idea if you're taking the piss or not.

6 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

goody gumdrops, far too much politics in football.  In the 70s n 80s we didn't have this problem, today the media are obsessed with filling their programmes with it.   

In the 70s and 80s our land was also awashed with racism....

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

An anti racism programme isn't polical, and we already had a successful one that had worked very well in the game.

Unfortunately, the knee had its political associations.

Untill it was made clear there wasn't.

34 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Haha.  I've no idea if you're taking the piss or not.

not at all, like I've said quite a few times on here I don't watch Sky or any other football due to political shite being rammed down folks throats.  If you like it that's fine, I personally think football is a leisure thing,not a platform to brainwash and influence the weak minded.

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I cant think one bit of politics in the history of sky sports or any other football that has been rammed down my throat.

Gives Martin Tyler a break from having to come up with a different way to describe the fight against discrimination during the knee at every single game now. He was truly barrel scraping with some of them 🤣

1 minute ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I can, so much so that Matt LeTiss lost his job after reading into the background badge he was told to wear.  

Well it wasnt rammed down my throat, he just wasn't on my telly anymore and nobody batted an eyelid.

Plus hes absolutely fuckin bonkers and the last thing any corporation needed at the time was somone saying covid was all bollocks when thousands of peoples families were dying.

• Moderators

they don't need to take the knee anymore because it's white players who get most abuse online now, so, job done

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11073767/Manchester-United-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Harry-Maguire-received-abuse-Twitter-season.html

Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire received more abuse than any other Premier League players on Twitter last season, with EIGHT from Man United in the top 10 most abused and 68% of stars subject to negative messages

60998687-11073767-image-a-121_1659476000

so if we say 40% of abuse is at blacks, and as the article says:

one in 12 of these attacks (8.6 per cent) targeted a player's race or another protected characteristic.

then I'd say taking the knee has worked and now abuse is distributed more fairly

well done to all involved

12 minutes ago, Zico said:

Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire received more abuse than any other Premier League players on Twitter last season, with EIGHT from Man United in the top 10 most abused and 68% of stars subject to negative messages

yeah, but is there a negative side to this story?